Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, Quasievil said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. In fact, if you study the 12Z GFS vs the 18Z NAM at 500, it's pretty close. EDIT: NAM is just held back a little bit. Maybe that's enough? Who knows.

gfs_z500_vort_us_16.png

namconus_z500_vort_us_53.png

Idk to me that’s a pretty noticeable difference in the orientation of the trough. NAM digs it deeper and sharper, allowing the low to run more NNE than NE

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'll take the 6" the NAM says I have OTG at 84 and call it a win.  The NAM is always right right?  I mean the best course of action is to just go with the NAM... someone verify this please.  

not to sound like the weenie of the year which i won back in 2007--but NAM seems to sniff out stuff on storms that are Hecs sized more than your normal storm?

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

8 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Its not a guess after watching the model runs come out for the last 15 years. Euro looked worse at 66, and better by 84, its that simple. I've seen WAY WAY worse model analysis these past few storms by several folks.

Okie Dokie. Since you've been watching the models for so long, I expect nothing but perfection and correct assessments every single time. So far you're not doing so hot. Do better if you think you're that good. Thanks :) 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Hear that! Love to see how it was going to end. I can imagine though. Meanwhile, this place will pop off if the GFS can jump on board. Time to pick a beer (not named Miller - lol) for that 18z…

Amending my post to say maybe I'll sip mcgilicuddy's root beer on the rocks... lmao its just so good

Just now, mappy said:

Okie Dokie. Since you've been watching the models for so long, I expect nothing but perfection and correct assessments every single time. So far you're not doing so hot. Do better if you think you're that good. Thanks :) 

Okay mama map, stick around for 18z. I don't want to disappoint you and get put in timeout. 

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Okay mama map, stick around for 18z. I don't want to disappoint you and get put in timeout. 

You're not a child are you? Otherwise, no need for a timeout. Act like a grown up, Mr. 15-Year Model Watcher

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Hell yes to this post. We almost got that perfect alignment that we’ve been talking about.

Thanks. I mean...it was almost from the start that the timing seemed so much better. No need to speculate on here as to what that would mean as the run was coming out, but for me that's where it all started. It was only a matter of waiting to make sure it didn't sh*t the bed, which the NAM is wont to to.

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yup.  I saw it coming at 78, but I didnt say shit because who knows...shit could have bounced off the outerbanks like a ping pong ball and im not brave enough to predict what happens after a model ends.

It's just the NAM and we all know the dangers of using it at range...but like you said it does what we want.  Where it's going is clear here...that low is going right through our "win box" that I outlined earlier.  The key here is getting the secondary to develop down southwest of the OBX like that, which means we don't need some once in 100 years type ridiculousness to get the storm to track up just off the coast and not that 150 miles OTS nonsense that always ends in tears west of the bay.  

Win.thumb.png.405c18430f6ea38a6e1405e673863d47.png

• Like 5
  • Weenie 3

On 1/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is the key. I think it’s import to get them closer longitudinally also. I had just taken @yoda post to illustrate that west is important for both pieces, not just the southern piece. Again, just my uninformed opinion.

Top is the 6z

2A95338A-9EE8-4A79-A2D3-5E9B67294200.thumb.jpeg.b495f451dda2fe53fa3f665c470d7d03.jpeg

8E62D8FA-C7EC-4127-8A5B-3FC16C8A8EB5.thumb.jpeg.0fd9ee65156c53a11af856ca3710e9af.jpeg

Post I made yesterday morning. Still believe it. The closer we get those lines together, the better. We get them in line? Well, then it’s :o

Again, just my opinion.

• Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

As @psuhoffman has said a few times, we need to be cautious here. Only having the NAM / Euro showing such a west solution is a bit of a warning sign given their know biases to overdo the western flank of storms. We need to see other models continue the trend west 

Jma and cmc are also similar to euro and nam. It’s not just euro and nam.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It's just the NAM and we all know the dangers of using it at range...but like you said it does what we want.  Where it's going is clear here...that low is going right through our "win box" that I outlined earlier.  The key here is getting the secondary to develop down southwest of the OBX like that, which means we don't need some once in 100 years type ridiculousness to get the storm to track up just off the coast and not that 150 miles OTS nonsense that always ends in tears west of the bay.  

Agreed, I'm looking for the SLP to develop early and SW, to get it to a more mature state by our lat. Based on what we've seen, if that kind of thing happens, the trough is probably sharp and it will take a more favorable track for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So if nothing else the NAM gave us something to look for in other guidance...will be interesting to see if anything else trends that way!

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Post I made yesterday morning. Still believe it. The closer we get those lines together, the better. We get them in line? Well, then it’s :o

Again, just my opinion.

Absolutely what made the euro turn around and be a pretty decent run in the later frames of 12z. Couldn't agree more. 

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

That's what I'm saying.  People wonder why my reaction was kind muted...because it's the NAM.  If it had been the GFS, I'd be posting nukes

If the GFS plasters us with 30" this place is going to go berserk. Not that I wouldn't be happy, but I would be afraid of it moving even further N/W in the coming few days. Meaning that some or all of us end up raining. 

Let's see that slow transition to victory. 

Just now, IUsedToHateCold said:

If the GFS plasters us with 30" this place is going to go berserk. Not that I wouldn't be happy, but I would be afraid of it moving even further N/W in the coming few days. Meaning that some or all of us end up raining. 

I’d be happy with low end warning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

Jma and cmc are also similar to euro and nam. It’s not just euro and nam.

Yeah and even the gfs, not nearly as good earlier, I thought trended closer to the others and certainly didn't go the opposite way (pending 18z of course, lol). Doesn't feel like a step back day...but we shall see!

1 minute ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

While that can be a risk, I can't see us coming from too far east to TOO far west, lol That would be weird to see that kind of jump, imo

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic