Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Probably. And then we might get our best snows of the year in a "warm" pattern. Sometimes it's just random like that.

That might have been possible but we already had a 6" snowstorm here.  I guess it could still happen in March but the chances of a double digit snowstorm are highly unlikely.

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

When the wavelengths start to change that's when things could get wonky.

And sometimes that wonkiness can lead to a snowstorm. CC has accelerated the odds of such freak occurrences deep into March. 

What causes wavelengths to change and why can't they change in the middle of winter?

Im so confused. Is someone holding some of you hostage? Forcing you to make posts in a random thread on a random weather forum? Its a nice day out. Go outside. Go watch a movie. Go watch Brady forced into retirement. But why post in a storm specific thread if you dont believe the threat exists? Move on to something else. But there is still discussion going on. If you dont want the discussion to occur, close the tab. Problem solved. 

Now back to the model watching. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

That might have been possible but we already had a 6" snowstorm here.  I guess it could still happen in March but the chances of a double digit snowstorm are highly unlikely.

A storm in early January has no bearing on the likelihood of a storm in February or March. Their probabilities are almost completely independent. Major snowstorms are always unlikely, by definition. But there's probably at least a 1 in 4 chance. And >4" snows can happen in almost any kind of background weather pattern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Im so confused. Is someone holding some of you hostage? Forcing you to make posts in a random thread on a random weather forum? Its a nice day out. Go outside. Go watch a movie. Go watch Brady forced into retirement. But why post in a storm specific thread if you dont believe the threat exists? Move on to something else. But there is still discussion going on. If you dont want the discussion to occur, close the tab. Problem solved. 

Now back to the model watching. 

But how am I supposed to look superior if I don’t shit on weenies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I like that it's shown up on more than one model (albeit at different times). Seems to suggest the solution is out there as a possibility in the ether, somewhere, but we need to get lucky. At least it doesn't seem like total fantasy at this point, but that of course could change. 

Well, far better than having nothing to watch, that's for sure. 

The JMA is nearly identical to the CMC. It lacks the resolution to show the true lowest pressure, but it's a close match aloft. And it actually lingers a little longer as it moves northeast off the Cape. Huge hit for LI and CT at least.

Everyone will say it's just the JMA, but I'll take it. The more support the better. Eventually we need every model to come around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The JMA is nearly identical to the CMC. It lacks the resolution to show the true lowest pressure, but it's a close match aloft. And it actually lingers a little longer as it moves northeast off the Cape. Huge hit for LI and CT at least.

Everyone will say it's just the JMA, but I'll take it. The more support the better. Eventually we need every model to come around.

JMA supported the Euro for a bit when     it was on an island too, NAVGEM jumped aboard too if I recall, better than nothing but barely lol

32 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Looks like it unfortunately. We kept the same unfavorable fast flow despite colder air coming in due to Alaskan ridging. 

The CMC is on an island. Tonight will make or break it. 

Too soon to say tonight makes or break imo. Remember the GFS did have a run yesterday that was a big hit but by tomorrow 12Z we want to see at least more than one model on board or else it's starting to feel like dejavu another OTS miss. 

I just checked the EPS. Very few of the individuals get precip. back to us or especially further west. Even the ones where the SLP makes a close pass are pretty limited on the western side. That's what happens if the trof develops late... which is where this looks to be heading. Eastern SNE can pull it off, but we need an explosive trof.

Ironically the one EPS member that tilted earlier ended up taking the same track as last weekend that deformed in Ontario.

3 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I just checked the EPS. Very few of the individuals get precip. back to us or especially further west. Even the ones where the SLP makes a close pass are pretty limited on the western side. That's what happens if the trof develops late... which is where this looks to be heading. Eastern SNE can pull it off, but we need an explosive trof.

Ironically the one EPS member that tilted earlier ended up taking the same track as last weekend that deformed in Ontario.

On the 12z GEFS, out of 20 members, one hits the whole area, another is an inland runner, another clips the east end of LI, and the remainder bring minimal or nothing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It's more tightly clustered west compared to 0z

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It's more tightly clustered west compared to 0z

Yeah maybe. But out of 51 members they're almost all misses. Of course they tend to cluster around the OP, so if the OP shifts west the EPS likely will to. But it goes to show how much further west we need this to shift.

1 hour ago, eduggs said:

jma_apcpn_us_8.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, there is a cluster of members not far from from the CMC with  very deep solutions. Some of the individual members are very impressive. It looks like small changes can make a big difference with this one. 

Looking at 700mb, 850mb, and surface QPF... members 10 and 12 fringe us. 11 and 15 are misses.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, there is a cluster of members not far from from the CMC with  very deep solutions. Some of the individual members are very impressive. It looks like small changes can make a big difference with this one. 

69780460-B49A-44A0-AC9E-020ED2660321.thumb.png.885fe5fbfd458e8eeb4b5fad50e9c024.png
69CED628-601F-4819-B6E7-E3B3C5C3CAED.thumb.png.f90a67b0ff13b681267a9fe11767be81.png

B971EED1-EEEF-4ABF-8640-7BDE5DE867E0.thumb.png.687a546314a2f84d605ff773ca305439.png

8C3C4B7B-0409-48F0-9513-BCC49CD0A6FB.thumb.png.bbd37f4436010e5775274ce314cae354.png

Yeah, maybe it doesn't work out. But it's not a bad position to be in currently at 120+hrs away. At least there is room for future amplification this time, should it occur. Certainly worth watching at least. Long way to go. 

• Like 4

I would urge caution with the GEFS. For last weekends inland runner, the GFS was consistently the extreme western outlier against every single GEFS member for run after run at this range. The GEFS failed to signal the correct outcome in this case. I think we need to see the GFS and the Euro make meaningful shifts towards an impactful storm to have any confidence. Right now they are not close.

• Like 2