• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

The CMC might be the best model run of the winter so far. Snow would start late Friday night and continue for almost 24 hours! Weekend snow! Very heavy snow with major accumulations region-wide. Blizzard conditions probably on LI. It stays cold with a follow-up 2-4" on Monday with an inverted trof associated with a late developing coastal low. Wow what a weenie run!

My take is a miss east is favored here. The sharpness, amplitude, and orientation of the trof are very sensitive to minor changes. Eastern SNE seems to stand the best chance for significant precipitation. But seeing this huge solution means we're still in the game I think. Just gotta keep expectations in check.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The CMC might be the best model run of the winter so far. Snow would start late Friday night and continue for almost 24 hours! Weekend snow! Very heavy snow with major accumulations region-wide. Blizzard conditions probably on LI. It stays cold with a follow-up 2-4" on Monday with an inverted trof associated with a late developing coastal low. Wow what a weenie run!

My take is a miss east is favored here. The sharpness, amplitude, and orientation of the trof are very sensitive to minor changes. Eastern SNE seems to stand the best chance for significant precipitation. But seeing this huge solution means we're still in the game I think. Just gotta keep expectations in check.

I wouldn’t be getting sucked into this one too quickly… like you said it’s a nice thought.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

I wouldn’t be getting sucked into this one too quickly… like you said it’s a nice thought.

Agreed. I expect this storm to miss east. The CMC is very sharp and amplified compared to other guidance, but it still isn't expansive with precipitation on the western quadrant. That's a red flag to me. But we haven't had that many fantasy blizzards this year, so it's fun to revel in one for a little while.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The most famous example of a WAR substituting for a -AO -NAO was 1-27-15.

D3FA6693-6732-4EF7-8D9C-B7AC8AB0668C.gif.423943f4f0077ed8e017ef4a3910e209.gif

Not much of a storm around here IIRC; around 6-7 inches. Think it was mostly east. Was this the one the Euro held onto long after the other models dropped off? Still, in a year like this, 6-7 inches is just fine. I think this is way early to be getting excited over, but there's nothing else going on ( other than a possible war in Europe ....)

16 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

CMC snow map from 12Z today for the 30th, and the GFS snow map for the 30th from three days ago. Very similar for the northeast, it probably doesn't mean a lot but certainly worth monitoring.

CMC for Jan 30th as per 23rd.png

gfs snow Jan 30 as per 20th.png

GFS from yesterday too:

image.thumb.png.cac5b8c734d637a735c36be8001283f8.png

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It has zilch for snow, it’s actually gotten worse aloft for anything here. We’ll see what happens at 0z but for now it’s the CMC vs the world, no other model is even remotely close to what it just showed

This threat has been dead. Who cares what one op run of a model shows

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

A few weeks ago it was the GFS vs the world. Then the EC vs. the world. And now the CMC takes its turn. I doubt the CMC will hold up resistance as long as the others did, however. It trends to be more variable beyond 5 days.

This is a clear miss east for now... but continue to monitor... unless there is a multi-model trend towards more impact.

• Like 2

Just now, eduggs said:

Probably. And then we might get our best snows of the year in a "warm" pattern. Sometimes it's just random like that.

When the wavelengths start to change that's when things could get wonky.

And sometimes that wonkiness can lead to a snowstorm. CC has accelerated the odds of such freak occurrences deep into March. 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Looks like it unfortunately. We kept the same unfavorable fast flow despite colder air coming in due to Alaskan ridging. 

The CMC is on an island. Tonight will make or break it. 

One thing to realize is with this fast flow all events are thread the needle events regardless of how cold it is.

This area is very dependent on coastal systems and when they dont happen 90 pct of the time it wont snow.

If you're not going to have a coastal storm the only other way to get snow is to have LESS COLD AIR and to have mild air down by southern NJ setting up the storm track there.  And that's why we are in a thread the needle type pattern.  People always talk about gradient patterns, well we have thread the needle patterns too- and this is it.  It can't be too cold or too warm it has to be just right for it to snow here in this kind of stable pattern.

And on another note, these fast flows have become much more common lately, might be another function of CC.