Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

19 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I highly doubt that happens in this situation. This isn't a normal noreaster setup. It's being ingested into the northern stream. So it's maxing out on closest approach. When that happens, the rain snow line is pinned next to the low. But it also helps energize the system. Hence the high potential. We would just get smoked out here by a coastal front while further west got mid level dynamics. 

Yep. The one concern may be the dry slot getting close to eastern areas/the forks of the west trend continues. But mostly it’ll be about subsidence and heavy snow with the bands. There’ll be lucky and unlucky people as always.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Some of the models showed that light snow starting, may not really stop. Just get heavier later. That could be possible and is a hallmark of the larger events too.

It's why PDII was my favourite event. Around 24 hours of light to moderate then about 12-15 hours of moderate to heavy. Long duration storms are always the best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RDRY said:

NAM's fun, but no real support for jackpotting NYC.

download.jpeg-2.jpg

Only thing I'll say is Euro keeps trending towards the NAM each run. Euro 6z now looks like NAM 0z (the run that got us weenies pumped)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nycsnow said:

I don’t see how it these trends keep up that upton don’t hoist blizzard warnings by the afternoon 

NYC is still only progged for up to a foot and less to the west, but the winds may prompt a warning. Haven't checked Mt. Holly ( I'm on the cusp of both ) but because they encompass the Jersey shore it seems likely they will post something. I'll take the 8-12 if it happens over here in eastern Middlesex county if it happens and be happy with it, though we often underperform. Seriously, more than a foot is more than I need....the 18 inches last year was tough enough to deal with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

NYC is still only progged for up to a foot and less to the west, but the winds may prompt a warning. Haven't checked Mt. Holly ( I'm on the cusp of both ) but because they encompass the Jersey shore it seems likely they will post something. I'll take the 8-12 if it happens over here in eastern Middlesex county if it happens and be happy with it, though we often underperform. Seriously, more than a foot is more than I need....the 18 inches last year was tough enough to deal with.

We have a blizzard warning in Ocean County. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nycsnow said:

I don’t see how it these trends keep up that upton don’t hoist blizzard warnings by the afternoon 

They said they were waiting for one more model round for consistency to do blizz warnings. 

" In addition, have elected to hold off on any blizzardh eadlines at this time for eastern LI and southern CT, the area that are most likely to meet blizzard criteria. Given the increased forecast confidence in only these latest runs, would prefer one more cycle for that upgrade. Regardless, near blizzard conditions are possible for eastern LI and southern CT for a period on Saturday

afternoon with this system."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

We have a blizzard warning in Ocean County. 

I see that now. Monmouth too. I'm just north. Minor details at this point; I'm close enough to the bay here in Woodbridge to see some wind, we're just not getting the two feet of snow. Official forecast is 4-7 from Upton, 4-11 from Mt Holly. Seems like a big spread there....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yep. The one concern may be the dry slot getting close to eastern areas/the forks of the west trend continues. But mostly it’ll be about subsidence and heavy snow with the bands. There’ll be lucky and unlucky people as always.

Exactly. This is going to be an amazing experience either way for me. It's not often something like this comes around. I hope everyone gets crushed. 

Using 12-1 ratios because the wind is gonna beat up these dendrites.  10+ island and much of coastal NJ and coastal CT seems fair.   It's that sharp gradient keeping me up right now.  I'd love this to tuck 20 miles further west just to make this a bit more straightforward 

• Like 4

Just now, NittanyWx said:

Using 12-1 ratios because the wind is gonna beat up these dendrites.  10+ island and much of coastal NJ and coastal CT seems fair.   It's that sharp gradient keeping me up right now.  I'd love this to tuck 20 miles further west just to make this a bit more straightforward 

Where are you expecting that gradient to set up? Warren or Sussex? Or even further south? Some maps show Somerset county....parts of it...

6 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

That's if this doesn't come more west

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Where are you expecting that gradient to set up? Warren or Sussex? Or even further south? Some maps show Somerset county....parts of it...

I dont know yet, but my instinct says I can't totally toss out a gradient line starting at just west of 287 in Jersey yet.

This is a very tough forecast. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

If it holds serve I have a feeling we might start to see some of the other models start to   follow suite and reduce the double barrel look and go a bit more west like the Nam. Would make a huge difference for city and N&W

Just now, NittanyWx said:

I dont know yet, but my instinct says I can't totally toss out a gradient line starting at just west of 287 in Jersey yet.

This is a very tough forecast. 

Wherever that gradient starts is going a long way to settling what happens for those of us far N&W. I’m not completely committing to just a 1-3 forecast here just yet 

• Like 1

[mention=15837]North and West[/mention] I think 4-6/6-8 for Morris County, lower totals out my way. Plowable likely.
I have .25” now, with light snow. I’ll be honest that I didn’t see this morning snizzle. 

Thanks. It’s been snowing here conversationally most of the morning.

Interesting to see where this sets up. Wonder if the cut off is over me, or you, or maybe further west.

Though I will say this, and it’s my anecdotal evidence for 35+ years of watching this: every - and I mean every - single big winter storm would creep up the numbers continuously. Always. And forever.

This one’s doing the same, but I still don’t trust it with the +NAO and +AO… though the NAO is falling closer to neutral, so maybe that’s helped nudge it west.

a955451b5130466793fc95d326843afd.jpg

• Like 1