Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Wait till the Euro comes out and has you close to smoking cirrus. It’s been moving east ever since yesterday at 12z. Take your 1-3/1-4 and enjoy :-)

Dutchess county and me north of 84 may actually only get 2-4, that is possible, but places like Rockland that you mentioned should get 6 or possibly more. 

11 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Gefs deft a west lean 

12z

gefs_2022-01-27-12Z_054_43.778_275.133_3

6z

gefs_2022-01-27-06Z_060_43.778_275.133_3

00z

gefs_2022-01-27-00Z_066_43.778_275.133_3

Some westward lean yes but majority of those tracks are south and east of the BM and that ain't gonna cut it.  For my location I like a track between KBID and KMVY and across CC Canal to maximize totals over western and NW NJ.  With these tracks SE New England cashes in and that is what most guidance is showing.

30 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

you got to look at more than just the surface.

Well, let me ask you a dumb question then. What good is an improvement at the upper levels if there isn't any corresponding improvement at the surface? Doesn't the surface ultimately reflect the QPF? Seriously, set me straight.

Just now, MANDA said:

Some westward lean yes but majority of those tracks are south and east of the BM and that ain't gonna cut it.  For my location I like a track between KBID and KMVY and across CC Canal to maximize totals over western and NW NJ.

True just comparing the 3 runs majority of the lows tracks shifted closer/ on the bench this run around. No real way to know if that's a trend or not yet. 

I don't know if any model can nail this down until we start to follow radar trends.  Someone can be in for a wicked heartache - both along the shore where we are expecting double digits and the northwest fringe zone where flurries or 3-4 inches could be a matter of 10 miles.  I've been on sides of that equation.  They hurt equally bad.  The ceiling is still incredibly high for a bust in our favor as well - but when you're talking literally 30-50 mile difference we've all been burned in the past - 2015. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, larrye said:

Well, let me ask you a dumb question then. What good is an improvement at the upper levels if there isn't any corresponding improvement at the surface? Doesn't the surface ultimately reflect the QPF? Seriously, set me straight.

There are stages of interactions that lead to the surface depiction. If one of the earlier and more crucial stages is showing a more favorable look than before above the surface, going forward it could lead to more significant changes downstream even if the current run doesn't show it yet. 

Atleast that would be my ELI5 understanding. 

Just now, Big Jims Videos said:

I don't know if any model can nail this down until we start to follow radar trends.  Someone can be in for a wicked heartache - both along the shore where we are expecting double digits and the northwest fringe zone where flurries or 3-4 inches could be a matter of 10 miles.  I've been on sides of that equation.  They hurt equally bad.  The ceiling is still incredibly high for a bust in our favor as well - but when you're talking literally 30-50 mile difference we've all been burned in the past - 2015. 

Starting to have that Jan 2015 feel to it where we're waiting here for the low to bomb and start tracking north and Boston is licking its chops. We're getting back to "it's salvageable" with these east ticks and broader trough coming in. We need the capture/phase as soon as possible. Always a nailbiter on the SW side of these. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

There are stages of interactions that lead to the surface depiction. If one of the earlier and more crucial stages is showing a more favorable look than before above the surface, going forward it could lead to more significant changes downstream even if the current run doesn't show it yet. 

Atleast that would be my ELI5 understanding. 

bingo

Just now, jm1220 said:

Starting to have that Jan 2015 feel to it where we're waiting here for the low to bomb and start tracking north and Boston is licking its chops. We're getting back to "it's salvageable" with these east ticks and broader trough coming in. We need the capture/phase as soon as possible. Always a nailbiter on the SW side of these. 

Yeah... this is a complete nowcast situation, unfortunately. A phase of 3-6 hours earlier, OR a slight different orientation of the trough OR a different phase going into the trough OR... etc.

So many moving pieces. So many. 

• Like 2

12z GFS seems to be a bit too hesitant to allow the Four Corners Wave to escape east once the SoCal wave shears out. 12z NAM allows the N. Plains energy to coax the Four Corners wave out a little further east. It looks a bit more realistic? Maybe? I think the GFS is pulling back the rubber band a little too hard in TX.

D6619036-EAF8-4A9C-B812-05F500F544B4.jpeg

4FF70101-507D-40B6-8E75-0512BFF27F4D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1