• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

46 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Anyone have an idea how my area (West Somerville) fared in 2013 and 2015? 

I lived literally on Powder House blvd for those years. 2013 was bigger, we had about 28 inches or so as far as I recall. 2015 was longer but slightly less intense. maybe 22-23 inches final? The snow was also heavier in 2013. It was fun to shovel because the bottom 8 inches was total cement, the next 8 inches were normal, but not quite compactable snow, and the top foot or so was pure sand that whipped around like mad. 2015 was all sand, but that one was fun because heavy snows and winds coincided with sunlight. 2013 was a decidedly more mythological event, in part because it was my first 2 footer, but also because the hype surrounding it was unreal. A travel ban, and the snow slowly increased in intensity and fell sith more fervor as winds increaaed throughout the day. Beautiful storm 2013 was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Bumping my dual low question from above.

Does it make sense for there to be a dual low when the pressure wants to drop that fast into the 960s?

Well I think the low should move closer to the H5 trough where the vorticity is. 
But to answer your question, I’ve never seen that before, so my guess is there is a reason why it doesn’t happen.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, George001 said:

I wonder if even the kuchera maps are underestimating the snow ratios with this storm like they did with the early Jan nor’easter. If areas in the heaviest banding end up with like 20:1 ratios, we might see someone get over 50 inches.

Kuchera, if I remember @forkyfork's post, doesn't capture stuff like riming, and since it just accumulates snow over intervals, a 3 foot 'cold' Kuchera would compact under its own weight to far less.  Unless you board measure, not yardstick after the fact, as kids did in the 1970s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Hopefully my melt keeps the EURO from deforming Berks

It's a little west for sure, but that move seems to be within wobble territory. This is the first cycle change in a long stretch on this event where the GGEM stayed fairly consistent between runs. Still time for the UKMET to go nuts though.