• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This looks a lot like March 14, 2018....the one that ripped me a new one.

Sign me up for a repeat of that, I got 2 feet from that storm. Didn’t you get 28+ or something crazy like that? I saw on the maps that NE Mass was in the jackpot. That was a great storm, that was actually the last time that my area was under a blizzard warning.

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

Sign me up for a repeat of that, I got 2 feet from that storm. Didn’t you get 28+ or something crazy like that? I saw on the maps that NE Mass was in the jackpot. That was a great storm, that was actually the last time that my area was under a blizzard warning.

I got 31", but BOX ended up tossing it because my max depth was only 25"......I mean, when you are snowing at like 4-5"/hr of absolute fluff for several hours, that is what happens. The measurement was accurate...I wiped and cleared every 6 hours. It was like lake effect...just sublimated and compacted so quickly.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I got 31", but BOX ended up tossing it because my max depth was only 25"......I mean, when you are snowing at like 4-5"/hr of absolute fluff for several hours, that is what happens. The measurement was accurate...I wiped and cleared every 6 hours. It was like lake effect...just sublimated and compacted so quickly.

If I remember correctly, I had 25" from the storm and 27" on Ground. The other spotter in NE Wilmington recorded 24" with 27" on Gound. Reading Mass had about 24.8" with 27" on ground and East Billerica had 25.7" with 26.2" on ground. So those are the official final totals that were recorded at the time. True, it did start to sublimate quickly but it tells me that with these observations they, like me allowed it to settle somewhat before the finally reading was reported.

16 minutes ago, Greg said:

If I remember correctly, I had 25" from the storm and 27" on Ground. The other spotter in NE Wilmington recorded 24" with 27" on Gound. Reading Mass had about 24.8" with 27" on ground and East Billerica had 25.7" with 26.2" on ground. So those are the official final totals that were recorded at the time. True, it did start to sublimate quickly but it tells me that with these observations they, like me allowed it to settle somewhat before the finally reading was reported.

Yes. I'm not getting into the measurement methodology debate again, but that is the difference. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

your greatest measured storm of all time, Ray?

21 minutes ago, Greg said:

It's honestly the only way to compare historic storms from previous decades.  Some people say that snowfall averages have increased because of the way we measure snowfall now (I only think that's partially true-- other factors are at play, like a warmer Atlantic and the slowing down of the Gulf Stream, etc.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Those were both around 30" for settled depth weren't they?

For Ray they were settled depth records, but for the official COOP data that was given they are actually a little lower but I'm not going to get into the ambiguity of snow measuring techniques either here.