• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I now don't expect it to do much of anything but hold serve really after going back and looking at the 18z position.

I agree somewhat with this. I think it may tic west but not like some of the crazy stuff we saw with the UKIE and CMC just recently.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can't get over the shift the CMC and UKMET made from 12z. Just a totally different look. Garbage to MECS without blinking an eye. These shifts are pretty wild.

In a way, I have to give the GFS credit for hanging tough even if it's wrong. These other models are just crazy.

Not really, looks like they followed the 18z euro.

61f2293fd3490.png

61f22b2a3e5b2.png

61f22b75ce439.png

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can't get over the shift the CMC and UKMET made from 12z. Just a totally different look. Garbage to MECS without blinking an eye. These shifts are pretty wild.

In a way, I have to give the GFS credit for hanging tough even if it's wrong. These other models are just crazy.

The GFS has two extra runs per day to make it look like it's "hanging tough".  If you compare 0z to 12z it looks just as crazy.  QPF went from 1.1" to .10" at my location.  That's garbage.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A “crazy” model that had it right at times is far better than a consistent model that was wrong the whole time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

The GFS has two extra runs per day to make it look like it's "hanging tough".  If you compare 0z to 12z it looks just as crazy.  QPF went from 1.1" to .10" at my location.  That's garbage.

At your spot, sure. GFS has been mostly a lame whiff in northern and western zones for several cycles now.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

In all seriousness, if the GFS ends up being out to lunch on this one, someone at NCEP/WPC needs to take a look at why and get this solved.  While US East Coast cyclones might not be the focus of the CMC, Euro, UK because of their own missions and priorities, the US models should have this as one of their strengths, not weaknesses.  1/3 of the US population lives on the East Coast.  It should be a priority to get the accuracy up on these scenarios.  The GFS and NAM going back and forth is embarrassing inside the 5 day window.

I get it, but we have to remember these are just tools. There have been big individual misses or caves by the other models and even the ensembles—I’ve seen this particularly in tropical genesis/track/intensity forecasting. Obviously different than mid latitude cyclone forecasting, but this is why it’s important to not get too high or low on the specific runs and understand each model’s relative strengths/biases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I get it, but we have to remember these are just tools. There have been big individual misses or caves by the other models and even the ensembles—I’ve seen this particularly in tropical genesis/track/intensity forecasting. Obviously different than mid latitude cyclone forecasting, but this is why it’s important to not get too high or low on the specific runs and understand each model’s relative strengths/biases.

We are taxpaying weenies, and we deserve better.

That we as Americans have to cling to Canadian, German, Japanese, and now even French models to tell us how much snow for CT is a travesty!

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

In all seriousness, if the GFS ends up being out to lunch on this one, someone at NCEP/WPC needs to take a look at why and get this solved.  While US East Coast cyclones might not be the focus of the CMC, Euro, UK because of their own missions and priorities, the US models should have this as one of their strengths, not weaknesses.  1/3 of the US population lives on the East Coast.  It should be a priority to get the accuracy up on these scenarios.  The GFS and NAM going back and forth is embarrassing inside the 5 day window.

The intricacies of this storm is so detailed and subtle that a slight delay in phasing can mean the difference between the CMC/Ukie vs GFS. 

The Ukie was heading towards Bermuda yesterday. The 18z Nam was about to join. Normally we'd have more wiggle room via Atlantic blocking. 

The model craziness does remind me of Boxing day. How that storm came together last minute was a miracle.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I totally understand everything you're saying and this stuff isn't easy by any means.  It just seems silly to me that US models aren't as good at some types of US weather than other agency's forecast systems.  We should strive to do better for our own backyards, especially when its a pretty densely populated area, and their own mission is "provide weather, water and climate data, forecasts, warnings, and impact-based decision support services for the protection of life and property and enhancement of the national economy."

• Like 1