• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

might be  from a death band to the west?

One nice thing about that screw hole showing up now - it means it will probably end up somewhere else.  I've noticed over they years that most of the RI screw holes aren't forecasted on the models, they usually show up unexpectedly on radar when some good banding is going on elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

One nice thing about that screw hole showing up now - it means it will probably end up somewhere else.  I've noticed over they years that most of the RI screw holes aren't forecasted on the models, they usually show up unexpectedly on radar when some good banding is going on elsewhere.

How's that for a screw hole?

61f227b49dc30.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I’ve bitched about this before but situation like this really underscores my complaint… Why did they discontinue the model diagnostic division- … now would be a good time to see if there were data ingest/ initialization issues. 

Good question, I use to go read the model diagnostic discussion on the WPC website to see if there were any ini errors.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I’ve bitched about this before but situation like this really underscores my complaint… Why did they discontinue the model diagnostic division- … now would be a good time to see if there were data ingest/ initialization issues. 

Edit - Misread that, but still informative :) 

The verification page is here: https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/verification/

I recently found it while looking for model specifications. It looks like it's still "under construction."

They have evaluations (surface and aloft) for the GFS, GEFS, SREF, and other climate modeling systems.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In all seriousness, if the GFS ends up being out to lunch on this one, someone at NCEP/WPC needs to take a look at why and get this solved.  While US East Coast cyclones might not be the focus of the CMC, Euro, UK because of their own missions and priorities, the US models should have this as one of their strengths, not weaknesses.  1/3 of the US population lives on the East Coast.  It should be a priority to get the accuracy up on these scenarios.  The GFS and NAM going back and forth is embarrassing inside the 5 day window.

• Weenie 1