Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most people on this forum would absolutely love another Morch 2012. It was instant summer . Leaf out late Morch , early Napril legit 

Mud season was long gone by that warm wave. All of the sun's energy went toward heating the ground with no evaporational, melting, or sublimational cooling. I can't remember that ever happening that early up here before. 1945 was close but a couple weeks later than 2012.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Mud season was long gone by that warm wave. All of the sun's energy went toward heating the ground with no evaporational, melting, or sublimational cooling. I can't remember that ever happening that early up here before. 1945 was close but a couple weeks later than 2012.

Not sure about that. I had to get towed out of a mud hole on a dirt road. I think it was something like March 18th. I was going to play golf at course that opened almost a month earlier than it ever had. 

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Not sure about that. I had to get towed out of a mud hole on a dirt road. I think it was something like March 18th. I was going to play golf at course that opened almost a month earlier than it ever had. 

Guess I wasn’t clear enough that I was implying here. B)

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Long range is mild. Back broken. Doesn’t mean we can’t have snow though.

Far NNE will be like Bob in SE Mass this fall when people talked about back broken... "Don't tell me the back is broken when...(snowpack is in my yard) or (I'm still running my A/C)."

We all know what it means though... big difference between January -7 departures and the second half of February pattern.  Just like the difference between July and September.  Yesterday I did notice the steep south facing road banks were getting destroyed by the sun.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Far NNE will be like Bob in SE Mass this fall when people talked about back broken... "Don't tell me the back is broken when...(snowpack is in my yard) or (I'm still running my A/C)."

We all know what it means though... big difference between January -7 departures and the second half of February pattern.  Just like the difference between July and September.  Yesterday I did notice the steep south facing road banks were getting destroyed by the sun.

Yeah I’m sure the typical ACATT will come in and get all mad, but given the long range pattern, it doesn’t seem that wintry. But we know it can still get cold, and snow. Maybe March has a last hurrah.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I’m sure the typical ACATT will come in and get all mad, but given the long range pattern, it doesn’t seem that wintry. But we know it can still get cold, and snow. Maybe March has a last hurrah.

It's been a minute since I've gotten a bit annoyed at temperatures and January did that, ha.  If I don't walk outside to -15 to -27 again this winter I'd be all right with that... and riding chairlifts with wind chills of -40F gets old.  Felt like twice a week for a month there was a Wind Chill Advisory or Warning up.  Wasn't even able to get the dog out much in the last month or so as her paws start to hurt after about 10 minutes below like 15 degrees and she just stands there lifting them up off the ground.  I could go for a while of like 15F to 35F type temps and increasing daylight hours.

Its obviously going to snow again and sometimes warmth brings larger systems... more risk but some reward.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's been a minute since I've gotten a bit annoyed at temperatures and January did that, ha.  If I don't walk outside to -15 to -27 again this winter I'd be all right with that... and riding chairlifts with wind chills of -40F gets old.  Felt like twice a week for a month there was a Wind Chill Advisory or Warning up.  Wasn't even able to get the dog out much in the last month or so as her paws start to hurt after about 10 minutes below like 15 degrees and she just stands there lifting them up off the ground.  I could go for a while of like 15F to 35F type temps and increasing daylight hours.

Its obviously going to snow again and sometimes warmth brings larger systems... more risk but some reward.

Yeah you guys still likely are in it, but with less bitter cold. 
It was cold in January, but we didn’t have that bitter stuff. Sort of stopped at the mtns. I know some of it was radiational cooling too, but like you said with BTV, they put up big departures too. 
We’ll see. I was hoping to squeeze in a few more decent events, but doesn’t seem like much on the horizon here. Maybe we can get one or two later this month and in March. GEFS seem to support that, but it seems like they caved a little to the EPS.

30 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

So Euro wins the long range battle that was shaping up a week or so ago.  Chris at GYX talks about robust qpf signal for late next week.  Maybe a Rainer that accelerates the melt.  But this week will only dent that pack up here.  Still a lot of snow.

Tough to say. They both weren’t exactly cold, although GEFs were more supportive for winter wx. They weren’t vastly different.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tough to say. They both weren’t exactly cold, although GEFs were more supportive for winter wx. They weren’t vastly different.

I don't have the links but I thought they were significantly different a week or so back.  The Euro had a big ridge in the east, and I think was holding a decent -EPO.