Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Overall, both the GFS and EURO are void of any extended warmth in the long range. That aligns with the latest 8-14 day outlook. 

Yes I don’t think we can call it a winter at the end of Jan.  It does snow in Feb every now and again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't dig back thru tons of recent runs to find trends as I'm mostly forward looking but I did spend a few minutes this AM. I won't go into detail but remember when the oranges were freezing in Jacksonville in early Feb on the models early last week? People talked suppression(briefly) and I distinctly remember @WxUSAFsaying he'd take the under. I quietly but violently agreed.

Not only has the depth of cold backed waaaaay off (I know... shocking). Now the boundary is back to struggling to press and looking hilly instead of a broad carves. 0z gfs op is pointing towards a NS wave north of us after the boundary finally pushes south. Well, that f'n sux. Return flow will rot any cold air below it. That's why the 0z run had a perfect track rainer.  If we can't get a big cold dome to carve and settle, we got problems because without deep cold air to fight against, our odds get really touchy. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Here's a good visual. When I started seeing the big bowl showing up and temp gradients looking like this on multiple models, I got excited. This is how we win without a block. Lots of iterations but here's how mid level temps NEED to look for a good overrunner. We had this across most guidance at the same general time. 

gfs_T850_us_35.png

And here's the kick in the nuts 0z version of the same period....

gfs_T850_us_30.png

Obvious right? 

Now ens are hinting ar the same bowl carve just further out in time. Might be a mirage. Seems elusive. Time will tell 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Well here we are.  GFS is starting to bore me, so the pbp from me prob won't be as rapid fire and until I see something that jumps out.   Let's hope we get a UKMET copy on the GFS

Banking on the UKMET to lead the way… what could go wrong ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Here's a good visual. When I started seeing the big bowl showing up and temp gradients looking like this on multiple models, I got excited. This is how we win without a block. Lots of iterations but here's how mid level temps NEED to look for a good overrunner. We had this across most guidance at the same general time. 

gfs_T850_us_35.png

gfs_T850_us_30.png

Obvious right? 

Now ens are hinting ar the same bowl carve just further out in time. Might be a mirage. Seems elusive. Time will tell 

looks decent for cad, though, but we're gonna need a vort hot on its tail to get something to work.  i don't know enough to say, but i imagine the lack of blocking is why the last storm formed way the heck out in the atlantic instead of reforming closer to the coast or even inland.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well here we are.  GFS is starting to bore me, so the pbp from me prob won't be as rapid fire and until I see something that jumps out.   Let's hope we get a UKMET copy on the GFS

So much hinges on how the upper and mids set up after the boundary that until that is locked down, boy it gets hard to trust a single thing beyond (on any piece of guidance). I'm getting tired of the cold ROAR turning into a little meow

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

looks decent for cad, though, but we're gonna need a vort hot on its tail to get something to work.  i don't know enough to say, but i imagine the lack of blocking is why the last storm formed way the heck out in the atlantic instead of reforming closer to the coast or even inland.  

At the point in time it does but that is a huge swath of SW flow in the mids and its moving east. Insitu cad at best. Need a cad setup with a feed. The only thing standing in the way is depth of cold. If northern or even arctic stream shortwaves run horizontally above us, we've got an extra layer of difficulty to overcome. We do complicated so well we shouldn't worry tho

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

gfs_T850_us_35.png

gfs_T850_us_30.png

Obvious right? 

There’s always a low in the upper Midwest the closer we get in time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This.  All of this.

If the upcoming week continues the streak to morph cold domes into jagged hilly pockets of cold on the move, my interest is going to drop pretty quick. No sense analyzing the inner edge of the long range if it's just going to keep turning into the same ole same ole. Still not a shutout pattern so that's solid. But a very touchy and complicated one anyways... and that's as solid as Avanti's intelligence. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

There’s always a low in the upper Midwest the closer we get in time.

Thing is, its only there because the arctic mass lost its legs and decided Canada is more fun. I can promise you, if -20 850e ran wall to wall above us from the GLs to Maine, there would be no shortwave drawing flow from the SW because it couldn't exist in that environment. Would be nice to get a real intrusion and let it settle instead of glancing quick movers. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jayyy said:

The front not pressing far or quick enough south isn’t really our issue with these boundary setups. Not in Maryland.  We’ve done quite well over the years with these overrunning events. 

We do but typically not on the front side of the boundary cross. Usually happens after it pushes south to NC (or wherever) and puts it in reverse. To get the front side, you can't have a steep SW-NE angle to the front. There almost always has to be some sort of "drape" so the cold air can push down vertically instead of diagonally. The more the boundary is aligned diagonally and steep, the higher the probability if cold getting in too late no matter what the mid range shows. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic