Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

46 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah but I mean...we've had active shortwaves for the past month and ain't gotten but one or (or two if you're DC) to work. But of course, this is when you tell me that we were lucky to get anything out of 2 of the 5 and to never throw away other chances...and that more short waves=more spins of the wheel, and we always need multiple chances. How am I doing so far? Lol

4 events over an inch in January is nothing to scoff at. I mean sure, all but one didn't have the oomph to push warning snowfall most places but still, 4 productive events with little blocking and fast flow? Make no mistake, that is a gift of overpefromance. You have to be able to recognize that for what it really is. 

Treat them all in isolation too. Every setup so far has been quirky and not repetitive other than smallish northern stream personality. That looks to continue. Keep 'em coming. Rain, whiff, mix, or shellack... doesn't matter. Fast northern stream flow is always a numbers game. ALWAYS. Until there is an actual reason other than dumb luck, it's best to stay away from big storm thoughts. In this case, big would be over 6"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yoda said:

UKIE is sharp... and I mean SHARP cutoff on snow amounts... went NW compared to 00z last night

Still looks like a chance for a decent event here in Loudoun - and maybe a big storm for the Allegheny Front, which is really what I care about this time of year because there are no mountains to ski on the coastal plain.

9 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Very similar to GFS through  102 .  Effing 7am to 1pm angle of the front :(

Seems like every time the tpv or arctic front is prog'd in the mid/long range to push ESE, the actual progression is due south then slow crawl east. Always steepens the hill too much to get a good vector for snowfall. Cold angle is no doubt a real thing 

Gotta get that high sitting south of Newfoundland to push off to the east sooner. It hangs around longer this time. The high the euro has is plenty strong enough to push that boundary south if that were to happen.

This is good. Maybe this will look like crap for 3 more days and then BANG. Keep me away from model watching.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

If anything that southern vort might have f*cked us..its out ahead of the deeping/digging northern vort/trough

Timing diffs, not a huge surprise at range. Looks like we have a very brief 'relax'/gradient pattern thru Thurs-Friday then we go right back into an active/trackable pattern. Works for me....reload it.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic