• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Current temp/dewpoint is 30ºF/23º. My biggest unmixed period of snowfall this winter was the Jan 16th event with 5.2” prior to the mixing and 982mb low going over my head. So having a look at things this evening I honestly give this event a slight chance of beating that here (Thinking about 3” in the backyard is a decent bet).

I tend to agree on the elevational nature of this event to a point and marginal sfc temps and whatnot, but I personally think it’s being overplayed with this setup. Like okay, I think most 4-6” or so amounts if they show up are likely going to be in the north-central and/or on the higher parts of the ridge and valley. However, this is a pretty decent slug of moisture coming at us being a southern stream system. If it comes in rocking rate wise right off the bat, elevation is probably going to matter less. Arrival time per the HRRR ranges from a couple hours pre-dawn SW to about 7-9am going LSV to northern tier… thus solar isn’t going to have too much of an influence during the first part of this event. Big question mark for me is right on the southern tier LSV, but even the more northerly HRRR manages a couple inches there. I will say that there is a chance that the southern tier LSV may mix or rain at the very beginning before cooling the column enough to snow when the heavier stuff sets in, so I wouldn’t get too scared right off the bat. 

I know it feels like I’ve been at odds with CTP’s thinking pretty much every winter event this season when it comes to discussing my thoughts in here, but I do think this warrants an advisory for most or all of CTP’s CWA. Like I said, I think this is elevational to a degree but not enough so to think that a majority of the Sus Valley can’t manage 2” to verify an advisory (or 3” in this neck of the woods). Hope they’re right, because the heavier stuff arrives during a big portion of the morning rush tomorrow. They must be going off of the NBM (national model blend) pretty hard, because this is about the only guidance I can find that jives with their accumulation map well.

image.thumb.png.5a2f6940de9e66ad087cf352c6ee6f4f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Current temp/dewpoint is 30ºF/23º. My biggest unmixed period of snowfall this winter was the Jan 16th event with 5.2” prior to the mixing and 982mb low going over my head. So having a look at things this evening I honestly give this event a slight chance of beating that here (Thinking about 3” in the backyard is a decent bet).

I tend to agree on the elevational nature of this event to a point and marginal sfc temps and whatnot, but I personally think it’s being overplayed with this setup. Like okay, I think most 4-6” or so amounts if they show up are likely going to be in the north-central and/or on the higher parts of the ridge and valley. However, this is a pretty decent slug of moisture coming at us being a southern stream system. If it comes in rocking rate wise right off the bat, elevation is probably going to matter less. Arrival time per the HRRR ranges from a couple hours pre-dawn SW to about 7-9am going LSV to northern tier… thus solar isn’t going to have too much of an influence during the first part of this event. Big question mark for me is right on the southern tier LSV, but even the more northerly HRRR manages a couple inches there. I will say that there is a chance that the southern tier LSV may mix or rain at the very beginning before cooling the column enough to snow when the heavier stuff sets in, so I wouldn’t get too scared right off the bat. 

I know it feels like I’ve been at odds with CTP’s thinking pretty much every winter event this season when it comes to discussing my thoughts in here, but I do think this warrants an advisory for most or all of CTP’s CWA. Like I said, I think this is elevational to a degree but not enough so to think that a majority of the Sus Valley can’t manage 2” to verify an advisory (or 3” in this neck of the woods). Hope they’re right, because the heavier stuff arrives during a big portion of the morning rush tomorrow. They must be going off of the NBM (national model blend) pretty hard, because this is about the only guidance I can find that jives with their accumulation map well.

image.thumb.png.5a2f6940de9e66ad087cf352c6ee6f4f.png

Ignore this post if you don’t want to publicly answer, but are you working as a met for a private firm or anything? 

Nice to have 2 events back to back here in early March.  I was concerned about temps late this afternoon when it was still in the low 40's, but then despite the clouds the temp kept on dropping all the way back to almost 32.0.  It was just up to 31.1 about 10 minutes ago but suddenly has dropped back to 32.7 now but the dew point is 28 and the wet bulb is 31.1.  If the snow starts early enough that will send my temp down to at least 31, or maybe even 30.  If rates keep up even moderately so that will prevent the temp from rising above 32 until late morning when the majority of the event will be over.  Better yet, the Saturday event really could become something sweet with a nice blast of cold coming in behind it until probably Monday afternoon.

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Under the heavier returns its alot of snow mixing in here  . When it's light hardly any flakes .

Same here at this time.

The radar was disorganized earlier this morning and the heavy precip was initially pushed off to the southeast of the MD line. Unfortunately that is not what we needed to get a decent snow event going. We needed it to come in like a wall.

Hopefully we get a few hours of wet snow this morning and get a couple of inches on the grass.