Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Surely not perfect but a decent depiction of the variability of the reports this AM.  

image.thumb.png.a30c5191d987418ab9612bc75e7885c3.png

Just saw this map - I can tell you with certainty that in Lanco, based on my driving this morning, that is pretty much spot on! Higher hills of southern Lanco (including work) are getting some wet snow, and also the higher elevations of northern Lanco, but a lot of rain elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Rgem and hrrr were on the right track . Mainly rain here with some snow mixing in N. Carroll today most likely .

Same here.  37 in akron and 35 in etown.  Slushbombs mixing in here in etown, but mostly rain...

meh....

Get your tickets for the last chance to ride the snow train for this Saturday.  Morning GFS is already showing signs of folding for that one (here in LSV) as it's a mostly rain to backend snow showers deal....and we know how that works down here. Norther/westers look to get a last chance shellackin.  Happy for them (and me as fortunately I'll be in clearfield/houtzdale area this weekend), so I hope to get to play one more time in the snow.

What a shitty winter for us in the LSV.  No way to polish that turd.  

• Like 1

Sitting at 36 here and despite a good 20 minutes now of heavy wet snow nothing is able to stick to any surfaces.  Wet ground and warm temps just won't allow for it around here.  As @Itstrainingtime mentioned, Lancaster County really is the battleground with varying conditions all around the county.  But bottom line is minimal to no accumulation will be the result.  Heck, not even my north facing mulch bed is taking it on.  

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Sitting at 36 here and despite a good 20 minutes now of heavy wet snow nothing is able to stick to any surfaces.  Wet ground and warm temps just won't allow for it around here.  As @Itstrainingtime mentioned, Lancaster County really is the battleground with varying conditions all around the county.  But bottom line is minimal to no accumulation will be the result.  Heck, not even my north facing mulch bed is taking it on.  

Drover over Chickies about 45 minutes ago - snowing very hard on top of the hill with zero rain mixed near the summit, but nothing visible on the ground even at the top. (again, slightly dated info :))  

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Drover over Chickies about 45 minutes ago - snowing very hard on top of the hill with zero rain mixed near the summit, but nothing visible on the ground even at the top. (again, slightly dated info :))  

Good stuff.  Yeah I'm going to drive to the little park less than a mile to the south of me in about an hour to see if anything has stuck up there.  It's one of the higher spots along Chickies Ridge, sitting at ~700'.

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Good stuff.  Yeah I'm going to drive to the little park less than a mile to the south of me in about an hour to see if anything has stuck up there.  It's one of the higher spots along Chickies Ridge, sitting at ~700'.

Please report back on your findings. This is serous biz. :) 

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Have you ever been to highest point in Lancaster County?

1,,183 feet West Cocalico Township, north of Deer Road

just pulled it up on peakgrabber.com.  Cool site 

10 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Peakbagger is a great site.  No I haven't been to that exact spot, which is right near the point where Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks Counties all meet, but I have been to some other high spots up in the Furnace Hills.  A buddy and I once backpack camped up there on a high hill then hiked down to fish for opening day trout (believe it was Hammer Creek).  We were probably at ~1,000 feet.  Beautiful area up that way, as @GrandmasterB knows all too well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I grew up one town next (Ephrata) and this was my stomping grounds.  My bro's inlaws live on peartown rd (next road) SE of this location.  When I was a competative cyclist, I trained on those roads/hills.  Some real gut wrenching climbs to be had.  Small compared to big woods, but steep as heck.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

1400ft is always the magic number.   Surprised there’s not a little more there.  I figured mr Ed’s has around 1 to 2” 

It's not all the impressive on my drive back through.  Side roads melted and rain now.  There are accums all where old pen mar road ends head up toward pen mar.  Go down the hill and nothing almost immediately.  

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Peakbagger is a great site.  No I haven't been to that exact spot, which is right near the point where Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks Counties all meet, but I have been to some other high spots up in the Furnace Hills.  A buddy and I once backpack camped up there on a high hill then hiked down to fish for opening day trout (believe it was Hammer Creek).  We were probably at ~1,000 feet.  Beautiful area up that way, as @GrandmasterB knows all too well.

I play hockey right (last night btw) off furnace hills (refreshing mtn).  Middle Creek Wildlife preserve adjoins this area.  Nice hiking/mtn biking...and hunting.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Please report back on your findings. This is serous biz. :) 

Can report back that, sure enough, there is at least a solid inch on the ground on top of Chickies at ~700', whereas I only have a trace down here in the lowlands.  Snowing a little harder with a lower temp as well, as expected.  The top of the cell tower was very obscured.  Nothing on the basketball court but believe it or not the little side road leading up to the park was caving, enough that I even slid a little coming down it ha.  Well, that is my most exhilarating and likely final winter moment for this season.  It's a sad life I lead. :lol:

799882021_ChickiesMarchsnow.jpg.a5a0cf63eea5c479b193fbb9f6be203f.jpg

• Like 2