• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

I've had nothing but snow from the start.  It's been going back and forth between very light to almost moderate with nice flakes.  Grass has a blotchy couple of tenths of white.  Some mulch was also picking it up but some wasn't until about 5 minutes ago.  Now it is starting to stick everywhere in my backyard including my pavers.  The temp has been pretty much locked in at 32.9 degrees.  I've got a couple tenths of slushy snow on my board.  Well after a short burst it has gone back to very light...lol.  Oh, the temp has just dropped to 32.7...(yay).

59 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Can report back that, sure enough, there is at least a solid inch on the ground on top of Chickies at ~700', whereas I only have a trace down here in the lowlands.  Snowing a little harder with a lower temp as well, as expected.  The top of the cell tower was very obscured.  Nothing on the basketball court but believe it or not the little side road leading up to the park was caving, enough that I even slid a little coming down it ha.  Well, that is my most exhilarating and likely final winter moment for this season.  It's a sad life I lead. :lol:

799882021_ChickiesMarchsnow.jpg.a5a0cf63eea5c479b193fbb9f6be203f.jpg

Good stuff, and thank you so much! Here on top of Turkey Hill, we had only the slightest of coatings...more like a white haze actually. Plain rain even here now. 

38 minutes ago, ChesterfieldVa80 said:

Nice! Do you think blue knob is cashing in? I'm thinking about going there to ski one last time this weekend..

I’d imagine it’s cashing in at least about as much as here. I’m nearly 2k feet lower than Blue Knob summit here off the Allegheny front and I’m over 3” now. Surely it’s at least a couple degrees colder up there. They may not be getting quite the rates though. The big thing with the storm evolution I’m seeing this morning is that the best precip/rates is running western PA to central and esp northern PA above the turnpike. Pretty much  looking like best precip is going the HRRR route (more NW axis) as opposed to even what the 6z NAM had this morning and especially what most 0z guidance had overnight. That’s unfortunately to the detriment of the LSV, which needed the rates the most to overcome the marginal temps. 

At any rate, I’m not sure how much keeps til the weekend up there as we moderate prior to the next system. Good news though is the western half of the state is currently well positioned for potentially an even bigger snowfall with Fri Night/Sat’s system (especiallly in the higher ground) and a significant cold shot for the second half of the weekend. It’s unfortunate that what is looking like one the best synoptic snow weeks of the winter (with no stupid mix and ice) around these parts is coming after half decent conditions at Blue Knob were hit pretty hard by the mostly warm and wet weather the couple weeks. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Ground truth on this may bring a teary haze to some eyes.

image.png.1ec06166109bd66ce67d9af50a841da7.png

Very true. 

I wasn't really invested in today that much mostly because the positive snow depth maps were all hideous. Just another reason why someone doesn't like those snow maps...they don't tell the whole story. Or at least an accurate one. That's all I will say as I do NOT want to lecture or act like a know it all - I certainly don't. But I do know not to trust snow maps. 

On to Saturday. :) 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Snow has shut off here and switched over to a mix of light sleet and rain.  Temp never dropped below 35.  All white on the ground will be disappearing in short order.  .1" officially going in the books for this event, which, despite the low expectations, still has to be considered a mild bust around here.

SLP going south of us is great, but antecedent cold and column was very marginal here. Temp went from 33 last evening to 37 this am, and while that may be part of the culprit, look at the 511 cams.  Its basically a blue mtn and NW special (think I suggested that yesterday...or was going to anyway).  Heck even Voyagers cams are basically brown.  

Another in a long series of nothing burgers, and moving on to the snowtrain caboose...my worry for the weekend is that we once again wait for cold and here in the LSV, that likely doesn't bode well for us....and post frontal round here....meh.  Yes, I'm sure norther westers may get snow on snow this week, as they've been on the right side of where we all want to be boundary wise.  Us SE'rs notsomuch.   Is what it is.  

Sorry to be a debbie, but indicies/timing of stuff has been off just enough this year to consistently screw up our chances...and nothing in our upper air pattern has shown enough difference to suggest otherwise wrt this weeks picture IMO.  Will be interesting to see what the red taggers attribute it to.  I don't visit other forums (excpt the NE when I'm bored and in need of snow chatter), but I'm sure someone will tell us.  Things never seemed to sync up.  PNA was workable, but we still needed help from NAO/AO and didnt get it.,  

Enjoy the snow for all that are getting it.  Thx for the pics. ;)

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Very true. 

I wasn't really invested in today that much mostly because the positive snow depth maps were all hideous. Just another reason why someone doesn't like those snow maps...they don't tell the whole story. Or at least an accurate one. That's all I will say as I do NOT want to lecture or act like a know it all - I certainly don't. But I do know not to trust snow maps. 

On to Saturday. :) 

The snow maps bring joy, right? LOL.  We need Saturday to produce as LR wise it looks like Team MU/Voyager clamp the hammer down and end our winter threats.   For the M/D crew:

D4_WinterThreat.png

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It will be interesting to see if MU records any measurable snowfall. I work about 5 miles west of the campus and there was nothing on the lowlands in this area - me thinks it will go down as a trace. 

I will say, to be fair here, MU/Kyle's Spring fling forecast is not going to be perfect.   Not a big deal at all but it was posted to see if it verified.  Even if it does not snow Sat, Sunday AM is shaping up to be one of the coldest mornings of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I will say, to be fair here, MU/Kyle's Spring fling forecast is not going to be perfect.   Not a big deal at all but it was posted to see if it verified.  Even if it does not snow Sat, Sunday AM is shaping up to be one of the coldest mornings of the season. 

The cold coming this weekend is impressive. I wish we'd have fresh snow cover to maximize the overnight lows. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That would be a great finale - snow and then extreme cold. 

Is it too much to ask?  I'm still intrigued...

For me the one negative is that it would take away getting out and about Saturday with flash freeze like snow starting.    Let's see if Paweather can get his EC to keep up the momentum here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That would be a great finale - snow and then extreme cold. 

Is it too much to ask?  I'm still intrigued...

It would be great to score down here.  We need one.  While I'm doin the debby, I hope for enough changes for something down here.  I'd need some convincing though.  

And as i type, we now are back to snow in etown.  Decent size flakes, and a tinge of white starting to show.  Nice.

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

SLP going south of us is great, but antecedent cold and column was very marginal here. Temp went from 33 last evening to 37 this am, and while that may be part of the culprit, look at the 511 cams.  Its basically a blue mtn and NW special (think I suggested that yesterday...or was going to anyway).  Heck even Voyagers cams are basically brown.  

Another in a long series of nothing burgers, and moving on to the snowtrain caboose...my worry for the weekend is that we once again wait for cold and here in the LSV, that likely doesn't bode well for us....and post frontal round here....meh.  Yes, I'm sure norther westers may get snow on snow this week, as they've been on the right side of where we all want to be boundary wise.  Us SE'rs notsomuch.   Is what it is.  

Sorry to be a debbie, but indicies/timing of stuff has been off just enough this year to consistently screw up our chances...and nothing in our upper air pattern has shown enough difference to suggest otherwise wrt this weeks picture IMO.  Will be interesting to see what the red taggers attribute it to.  I don't visit other forums (excpt the NE when I'm bored and in need of snow chatter), but I'm sure someone will tell us.  Things never seemed to sync up.  PNA was workable, but we still needed help from NAO/AO and didnt get it.,  

Enjoy the snow for all that are getting it.  Thx for the pics. ;)

Well said and agreed.  Honestly, I think the simple answer is that it just wasn't our year around these parts.  Couldn't thread the needle.  I know that's the easy out, but there was snow to be found all around us and ample cold at various times.  Just wasn't meant to be.  In the eternal motto of the weather fan, there's always next year!

30 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

It would be great to score down here.  We need one.  While I'm doin the debby, I hope for enough changes for something down here.  I'd need some convincing though.  

And as i type, we now are back to snow in etown.  Decent size flakes, and a tinge of white starting to show.  Nice.

Just talked to my wife a few miles down the road from you and it's snowing there as well. All rain here at work for the past couple of hours. 

8 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well said and agreed.  Honestly, I think the simple answer is that it just wasn't our year around these parts.  Couldn't thread the needle.  I know that's the easy out, but there was snow to be found all around us and ample cold at various times.  Just wasn't meant to be.  In the eternal motto of the weather fan, there's always next year!

Until 2016, WE are the Chicago Cubs... "Wait until next year" :) 

• Haha 1