• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York- Jan 9-11 Lake Effect Snow Event

11 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Ok 3 things about that clip, 1) always liked Sharon Resultan, maybe crush like, 2 the reporter said north of Watertown, clueless there and 3 how deep the cold was getting all the way the the Carolina’s so much that DC had a high of 20! When’s the last time that’s happened to them? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

While not as intense I had some friends get stuck at my house in Cheektowaga during that event as travel was banned in the southtowns. East Eden/OP/Hamburg/East aurora got hit pretty bad. Highest total off Erie was 42" at East Aurora. Lake was in the process of freezing, if it wasn't totals would likely have been double what they ended up being. 

• Like 2

The 12z has the first clipper over the weekend still diving into South Carolina, probably onto something, but as BW eluded to a few posts ago, Wednesday, Friday and the following Tuesday all look like opportunities for LE in the Metro area. I think the synoptic goes to shit but the lakes save us over the next 2 weeks. They’ll have to because they’re about to freeze quickly 

28 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

BGM's updated map actually was bumped higher for those of us in Northern Onondaga county... 8 to 12 inches. After the miss last night, I'm not sure if that's doable for this evening, unless the band slowly moves through our region.

StormTotalSnow.jpg

Not sure about that...a previous version also had that northern sliver (my location) in the next darkest color (8-12") in a previous iteration.  Really hard to see that happening  but if the band moved slow enough south...maybe.  I still like 6" as the over/under Mark here. Only about 4.5-5" to go...

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Not sure about that...a previous version also had that northern sliver (my location) in the next darkest color (8-12") in a previous iteration.  Really hard to see that happening  but if the band moved slow enough south...maybe.  I still like 6" as the over/under Mark here. Only about 4.5-5" to go...

Yeah, I think 6 inches is a good call. Hopefully whatever falls can survive our mid 30s on Wednesday and Thursday to continue a solid snowpack as we enter the synoptic desert period.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I'm guessing Binghamton thinks that the shallow bands overnight after the frontal passage will produce a decent amount.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, I think 6 inches is a good call. Hopefully whatever falls can survive our mid 30s on Wednesday and Thursday to continue a solid snowpack as we enter the synoptic desert period.

We had one good Euro/CMC run. Isn't that enough for you?

• Haha 2

.A LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT PARTS OF JEFFERSON...OSWEGO...
AND LEWIS COUNTIES...

HAZARDS...A lake effect snow band which can rapidly reduce
visibility to less than a quarter of a mile. This lake effect snow
band is producing extremely heavy snow at the rate of 2 to 3 inches
per hour.

LOCATION AND MOVEMENT...At 1233 PM EST, a wide band of lake effect
snow was streaming in off Lake Ontario, from Oswego to Mannsville
east to the Tug Hill and southern Lewis county. The lake effect snow
band was intensifying, while remaining nearly stationary.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
Oswego, Sandy Island Beach State Park, Pulaski, Redfield, Selkirk
Shores State Park, Highmarket, Mexico Point State Park, Nine Mile
Point, Scriba, Richland, New Haven, Mexico, Williamstown, Lyonsdale,
Orwell, Sandy Creek, Port Leyden, Lacona, Lyons Falls and Parish.

This includes Interstate 81 between exits 33 and 38.

SAFETY INFO...
Use extra caution if you must travel into or through this lake effect
snow band. Rapid changes in visibility and potentially slick roads
may lead to accidents. Accidents have already been reported in the
area today.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be
prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra
time to reach your destination.

Noontime TV mets saying the band in central Oswego County moves south tonight courtesy of the artic front.

Historically, when this setup occurs, do the fronts pass quickly or can they stall and  band overperforms?

Mets saying 3-6, closer to the 6 for Syr and surrounding towns they say  and I gather northern burbs will get into it first

Thanks !

17 minutes ago, sferic said:

Noontime TV mets saying the band in central Oswego County moves south tonight courtesy of the artic front.

Historically, when this setup occurs, do the fronts pass quickly or can they stall and  band overperforms?

Mets saying 3-6, closer to the 6 for Syr and surrounding towns they say  and I gather northern burbs will get into it first

Thanks !

Try not to blink

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Yeah, unfortunately the frontal passage is usually very fast and almost always underperforms. I’m betting on a couple inches at most. We get a quick look at what Wolfie has for 12 hours. 

This, 100 percent.  The front grabs the band, intensifies it, moves it boldly due south and it evaporates like a fart in the wind about 1 hour later.  That 1 hour is usually fun but there is no stalling an arctic boundary on a Northerly flow.  We barely even get the scraps.

• Like 4