• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Well just to say this is a massive win if the GFS lands this one. It has done well with the last few storms catching on with others catching up. Maybe that upgrade was really an upgrade.

Honestly, the 06z Euro ensembles from yesterday, sniffed/hinted at this first....

....But of all operational models, GFS was first....

But, kudos to be held until verification. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CNY_WX said:

My wife used to work in Lacona and said they use a lot of sand up north. Can’t use sand in areas with closed drainage as it will fill up catch basins and pipes. 

Yeah when I drive into Phoenix/Pennelville they throw a lot of sand mixed with salt. I can tell when ppl have driven there by the sand-snow concrete blocks that fall off the underside of the car into my driveway.

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s interesting that a lot of mets are discounting a far western solution. I’m not sure why. As that surely is the trend. I’d take this set up in a heart beat. Even though the heaviest would be 81 corridor 

I think most are probably expecting an adjustment east to the track? Frankly, so are a lot of us based on #modelology

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

This storm is far closer to a Miller A than a miller B.  There is a bit of a coastal transfer, but I would still call this a Hybrid Miller A before calling a it miller B.  Miller B's happen when a storm dropping through the lake or Mid atlantic fires up a low pressure off Hatteras.  This storm has a well defined low pressure system dropping into the Deep south and making the turn up the coast, thats Miller A.  Miller A's are usually the big ones IMO. 

My kingdom for a classic Miller A.

When I lived in Connecticut (growing up) and Boston (grad school) I hated Miller A's (slop-fest) and loved Miller B's (bomb off the coast).

Now in WNY it's the opposite. Miller B's are a total whiff and Miller A's are our home runs.

Of course, the pattern in the last few decades has gone away from Miller A's and strongly towards Miller B's. Hope this breaks the trend.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Imagine still throwing sand on the roads. ;)

I’m not sure If you mean this because we just don’t get snow anymore but the high peaks and a lot of the apple orchard areas south of Lake Ontario only use sand. I much prefer it.  The DOT is insanely heavy handed with salt these days. It’s way over the top 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I’m not sure If you mean this because we just don’t get snow anymore but the high peaks and a lot of the apple orchard areas south of Lake Ontario only use sand. I much prefer it.  The DOT is insanely heavy handed with salt these days. It’s way over the top 

Too much salt can really clog the major arteries. 

#DadJokes

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Kind of a hidden salt remark.  The salting is out of hand i agree. I prefer sand for driving conditions sometimes.  Many times driving thru heavy LES going up to work in Oswego, the roads remained pretty passable as wind and cars kept two tire lanes mostly clear.  When they salt here it can turn the snow on the road into a more dangerous glop, esp when temps are <20F.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I agree. The greenies are onto how bad salt is, its only a matter of time before its canceled. There was an article on one of the national outlets recently.

8 minutes ago, Buckeyes_Suck said:

I agree. The greenies are onto how bad salt is, its only a matter of time before its canceled. There was an article on one of the national outlets recently.

I think places got away from sand as it makes a mess. They might justify salt over sand based on the added cost of spring cleanup of sand.  Which may or may not be real.  This could be part of why a lot/most of Oswego County still uses a lot of sand?  

And...the "more affluent" locales probably had a lot of pre-snowflake era whining about how everything looks sooo dirty after heavy periods of sanding.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah when I drive into Phoenix/Pennelville they throw a lot of sand mixed with salt. I can tell when ppl have driven there by the sand-snow concrete blocks that fall off the underside of the car into my driveway.

They used sand on the roads where I lived in Canada, in Michigan, and up in Redfield. I MUCH prefer it to road salt, as it provides more traction and way less slippery and your car doesn't slide all over the place when you're driving and trying to turn. The biggest negative of it is definitely how it cakes to your car...especially if it's mixed with brine/salt...that stuff EATS away at your car. Hence, the holes in so many cars up there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

They used sand on the roads where I lived in Canada, in Michigan, and up in Redfield. I MUCH prefer it to road salt, as it provides more traction and way less slippery and your car doesn't slide all over the place when you're driving and trying to turn. The biggest negative of it is definitely how it cakes to your car...especially if it's mixed with brine/salt...that stuff EATS away at your car. Hence, the holes in so many cars up there.

Mainly salt here in Ottawa.

• Like 1