• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Pattern Change Vs Tughill Curse?

58 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

With clouds and a south wind, stupid sizzlecuse continues sizzling away in the mid 40s. See most of the rest of you guys have dropped into the upper 30s/low 40s.

BGM has an HWO for possible snow squalls tomorrow afternoon?

I dropped down to 38°around 6:30 pm but have since jumped several degrees to 42° lol

Screenshot_20220209-234827.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yikes. After accidentally waking up, I thought I'd check models. After seeing what's coming and where indices are heading, I honestly think this winter might be done. Good riddance.

Yeah the Sunday/Monday chance is dead and then it's atleast 1 cutter... maybe more lol.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yikes. After accidentally waking up, I thought I'd check models. After seeing what's coming and where indices are heading, I honestly think this winter might be done. Good riddance.

Very warm pattern coming with the mjo going into 4 .

Bad winter for many areas

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s an ugly spell. No two ways about it. Hope we catch another winter period in 3 weeks or so. It’s too early to be over. :(

Give me one whopper in March and I’ll be happy with this winter. At 80” now so give me a good 20” storm in March and I’d call this winter a good one for me personally. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s an ugly spell. No two ways about it. Hope we catch another winter period in 3 weeks or so. It’s too early to be over. :(

9 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Oh boy. Even Jonah is folding. Ouch. 

It's been awful and I think many winter-lovers are even ready for it to just be done. It's sort of like when you keep repeating the same thing over and over again and aren't getting anywhere. That's how this season has been. I, of all winter weenies, am ready for it to just end and try again next year. Perhaps we can get somewhere even near average snowfall next season (not holding my breath). As the snowpack continues to melt into this weekend, I don't want to replace it and watch a whole bunch more melt again. It's quite obvious I am an Eeyore about how awful the past several winters have been here...and it's sad, because my passion in winter weather is starting to decline as the season itself declines.

• Like 1

One more big time cold snap this weekend followed by warmth that will still take some time to melt the snow. 

I get the wanting winter to hang on but where we live just isnt far enough north. Toronto is a few days away from when the quick changes will overwhelm winter anyways. 

Toronto bottoms out with average high of 28F January 30th roughly, bounces around there for two weeks and todays average is 30F 

in 6 weeks the average high is 46F so winter is now battling an almost 3F average rise per week. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Dave is right though, some of our biggest snowstorms come in March. Lets not forget the biggest snowstorm in the last century came in the middle of March. 

March 12th-15th, 1993: Superstorm 

With the way tracks have been, I wouldn't be surprised to get a 70 to 80 degree day in March and then have a snowstorm the next day. Then, melt it all within a day or two.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

With the way tracks have been, I wouldn't be surprised to get a 70 to 80 degree day in March and then have a snowstorm the next day. Then, melt it all within a day or two.

Most March storms don't have snow last long as average temps by mid/late March are in the 40s. You need to move up to the Keeweenaw peninsula/Northern Maine/New Hampshire to get the winter you're after east of the rockies. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

God, look at that thing. Best storm ever. Can you imagine something like that happening again?!?

First time the Emergency Alert System was used for a weather event, at least in the northeast. Scared the crap out of me at first because I grew up learning that the EAS was there to tell us the USSR was sending nukes towards us. The conditions that came together to produce a storm of that size and intensity!  Then to have the perfect track to nail Syracuse with 40+ inches of snow. Of course that was before Matt lived in the area. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Most March storms don't have snow last long as average temps by mid/late March are in the 40s. You need to move up to the Keeweenaw peninsula to get the winter you're after. 

The sun’s angle is so high by mid March that it just vaporizes snow as soon as it comes out. That’s why, unless we can score a big one, snow after March 15 is a big waste. 

• Like 4