Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Fluff is fun for about 30 min after it falls, and then you get aggravated by how it compacts. That’s why Jspin gets 160” a year with a constant 8” pack. 

But what if the fluff kept falling?  That’s the key.  Like today you get another 3”, then wait a couple days and get 3-5”, etc.  If Tippy’s dopamine drip continues, you don’t notice the settling lol.

Its totally different from a single fluff event in urban areas IMO.  But we know where everyone stands lol.  If you are going to get one in a month, make it wet I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

But what if the fluff kept falling?  That’s the key.  Like today you get another 3”, then wait a couple days and get 3-5”, etc.  If Tippy’s dopamine drip continues, you don’t notice the settling lol.

Its totally different from a single fluff event in urban areas IMO.  But we know where everyone stands lol.  If you are going to get one in a month, make it wet I guess.

I might have a different opinion if it kept falling. :lol:   It was more to make a joke. I knew it would fire up the upslope community. Lol. 
My snow is rather fluffy, but was wetter than the champagne stuff some had. It compacted a bit, but not to the extent the champagne stuff does. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I might have a different opinion if it kept falling. :lol:   It was more to make a joke. I knew it would fire up the upslope community. Lol. 
My snow is rather fluffy, but was wetter than the champagne stuff some had. It compacted a bit, but not to the extent the champagne stuff does. 

I love the debate because I do truly enjoy the fluff.  Sitting stacked nicely on the tree branches this morning.  Just straight up.

But when I was growing up in ALB and never knew when the next flakes might fall, bring wet paste and give me suburban snowbanks lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I love the debate because I do truly enjoy the fluff.  Sitting stacked nicely on the tree branches this morning.  Just straight up.

But when I was growing up in ALB and never knew when the next flakes might fall, bring wet paste and give me suburban snowbanks lol.

This was a rare storm with little wind. Stacked up nicely as you said. Probably first time in 3 years I could measure on the car roof and be confident lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah this cold personally sucks for me right now…bad timing. I really want to stay inside curled up in a warm ball in bed but chicken duties call. Looks like a pretty cold stretch potentially with multiple strong cold shots being modeled with H5 support. It’s going to be a long month if it ends up cold and mostly dry. 

Are you feeling any better?

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man I was literally on the line. Sounds like next town over had closer to 8” 

Even down the street, the snow was wetter. Crazy. 

Some of the numbers reported via NWS feel suspect.  Having a hard time believing 12” in Hingham.

I’m noticing a significant variability in the 1.5 mile drive from Cohasset to Hingham.

One of my boys has a hoops game in South Hingham later this am.  Curious to see the difference in depth.

Just now, HinghamBoss said:

Some of the numbers reported via NWS feel suspect.  Having a hard time believing 12” in Hingham.

I’m noticing a significant variability in the 1.5 mile drive from Cohasset to Hingham.

One of my boys has a hoops game in South Hingham later this am.  Curious to see the difference in depth.

They may be similar because latitude mattered with the initial band. So it might be drier there, but in actuality less snow may have fallen.

I saw 7” downtown Hingham? That seems awfully low, though it is at the water. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Next weekend is own to watch. Can’t say a lot more than that, but Friday through Sunday hopefully comes through. 

Ensembles looked a bit more bullish last night…but yeah, can’t really say much else when it’s 7-8 days out. 

Maybe an outside chance at something Thursday/Thursday night too. Some of the guidance actually had a storm offshore but the onshore flow was causing OES on the south shore…Ray might want to fire up a blog post about that. 

• Haha 5