Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It really isn't though, it's basic science.  Of course in big dog bombs it doesn't matter, but in marginal little critter events it does matter if you get some blowing and road cover versus just a wet road.  k? 

I’m talking about snow, and It’s all about rates..that’s it. Ground can be whatever temp, and if the rates are sufficient, it’s going to accumulate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I’m talking about snow, and It’s all about rates..that’s it. Ground can be whatever temp, and if the rates are sufficient, it’s going to accumulate. 

You are correct, it is all about rates.  But if we get a marginal light event.....and the ground is warm....It won't accumulate it'll just melt.  K? Even in a big dog event you'll lose an inch or two to the warm ground.  Frozen water melts above 32......at least where I live anyway. 

F!  ...I had my dates screwy on that early statement .. push 7-9 to 8 to 10. Maybe 11 day...

So, yeah, it only underscores the "too early" aspect for a thread, but I do believe the period in question is above the standard model uncertainty for that range. It may also push up in time...

There's definitely a signal out there.

As far as the 12z details..that's obviously just an artifact of base-line potential, magnified too - as is typically the case at long leads.

It's gonna be a wait I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Euro cooking up a Miller b for next weekend. 

Id also watch that Thursday clipper. It has some room to amplify more on guidance. I know Tip and I have mentioned it a couple times but sometimes those are sneaky when everyone is looking ahead past that date. Low probability but you could see aloft how it wouldn’t take much to change it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So 6” from a Cstl front like the 6” you just got? I mean you did get 6”. Not like you sucked exhaust.

Or the 12-18" you got in Boxing day. But anyway, yes...I would rather the rush of a r/s line just to my se and man snow, as opposed to power and subby holes.

37 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

You are correct, it is all about rates.  But if we get a marginal light event.....and the ground is warm....It won't accumulate it'll just melt.  K? Even in a big dog event you'll lose an inch or two to the warm ground.  Frozen water melts above 32......at least where I live anyway. 

Yes sir…cuz “The rates”  in a marginal(light) event are not very good, so hence the non accumulating nature with that event.  But if the rates are good..it DOES NOT MATTER,  could be 80 degrees the day before, and the snow will stick regardless.

We had that exact thing happen here a few years ago in February, was 80 degrees here one day, barely 24 hrs later it was snowing and accumulating like the 80 degree day never happened!  That’s all there is to it. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro cooking up a Miller b for next weekend

Id also watch that Thursday clipper. It has some room to amplify more on guidance. I know Tip and I have mentioned it a couple times but sometimes those are sneaky when everyone is looking ahead past that date. Low probability but you could see aloft how it wouldn’t take much to change it. 

Scooter jackpot that run?

Ray is all warm and fuzzy inside now ready to hammer out a blog post. 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes sir…cuz the “The rates”  in a marginal(light) event are not very good, so hence the non accumulating nature with that event.  But if the rates are good..it DOES NOT MATTER,  could be 80 degrees the day before, and the snow will stick regardless.

We had that exact thing happen here a few years ago in February, was 80 degrees here one day, barely 24 hrs later it was snowing and accumulating like the 80 degree day never happened!  That’s all there is to it. 

April fools storm was similar, not 80 but I think it got up to 60 the days before and all 25 inches stuck.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro cooking up a Miller b for next weekend. 

Good times ahead.  Cutters are a thing of the past, lol.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can't wait for scooter to distract me by typing out how he thinks my area looks good with one hand, while he steals my snow with the other. 

Neat trick-

You know what you need as the perfect revenge elixir ?

A 1969 stalled out, cyclic snow band backing redux.  Only have less S of Boston to really grind it in - 

1969 storm snowfall amounts

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

Need to see more support from the big 3 (European, Canadian, Navy). The Navy isn’t in range yet, I could extrapolate it though. 

George, the NAVY model sucks ass! It’s certainly not part of any big 3, AT ALL.
And Stop saying that, it makes you look like you have no idea what you’re talking about,  and ignorant. 

• Weenie 2

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

F!  ...I had my dates screwy on that early statement .. push 7-9 to 8 to 10. Maybe 11 day...

So, yeah, it only underscores the "too early" aspect for a thread, but I do believe the period in question is above the standard model uncertainty for that range. It may also push up in time...

There's definitely a signal out there.

As far as the 12z details..that's obviously just an artifact of base-line potential, magnified too - as is typically the case at long leads.

It's gonna be a wait I'm afraid.

It's never too soon to start a thread.