Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

55 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

12/21 has an ominous look to it with the GEFS mean just off the coast for majority of the area. Definitely a time to watch that would be closest. 

For the record/entertainment way out in the fantasyland period, the 18Z GFS has for here snow flurries on 12/24 from one coastal followed by a whopping ~1" of qpf in the form of sleet/freezing rain on 12/27 from the next coastal. (Some clown maps have this as snow, which it obviously isn't since 850s are clearly several degrees over 0C.) That 1" of qpf of IP/ZR would be the worst here since the devastating icestorm of 1/25-26/1922, the predecessor to the deadly Knickerbocker Storm that hit DC.

Several (~5) 18Z GEFS members have a significant wintry event in this area, something not seen often on model runs. Significant wintry events (say ~1"+ of snow/sleet and/or ~0.25"+ of ZR) have occurred here only ~once every 10 years. So, when these show up on models, they get my interest and they're fun to see but I take with a grain as they more often than not don't materialize. The last two significant wintry events here were biggies: Jan of 2018 and Dec of 1989. The models did a pretty good job of forecasting Jan of 2018 with the ICON doing best here.

18Z GEFS mean (treat these as 10 times wintry qpf as some of this is sleet or ZR rather than snow):

DC8BC2AC-3E90-4743-94F9-562F84C9ADD4.thumb.png.0d764665864435ae1279e042cdbc6923.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

There’s nothing more frustrating to winter weather weenies than op model runs during a pattern change :lol:  

Agreed! The Euro Ensembles and to a degree the GEFS as well are honking for late next week. That’s what I’m hanging my hat on at this juncture. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Agreed! The Euro Ensembles and to a degree the GEFS as well are honking for late next week. That’s what I’m hanging my hat on at this juncture. 

Agree also.  I do not see anything in the Ops or Ens from overnight that should cause any cliff diving.  We have seen far worse patterns this time of the year in recent years.  

• Like 1

Very reminiscent of February 2021 right now. The chances we do have (18th/20th) get crushed by the northern stream and can't amplify so it just rains on coast. Then when a phase finally happens its too far west. 

Ensembles have still been positive, so its far from cliff diving time, but it's fair to say the trends in the OP's are not good.

• Like 4

I think we're still seeing some La Niña influences in that there is just too much energy, too fast, all at once. This makes it difficult for any one system to amplify and makes suppression easier as all the waves are weak and flat. I actually wonder if maybe the models are underestimating the block and 50/50 lows slowing down the flow, especially in the medium to long range?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I think we're still seeing some La Niña influences in that there is just too much energy, too fast, all at once. This makes it difficult for any one system to amplify and makes suppression easier as all the waves are weak and flat. I actually wonder if maybe the models are underestimating the block and 50/50 lows slowing down the flow, especially in the medium to long range?

I fully agree with this. The amount of energy flying around on the southern jet after Thursdays system is insane. No wonder models are having a difficult time figuring out which piece to latch onto

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I fully agree with this. The amount of energy flying around on the southern jet after Thursdays system is insane. No wonder models are having a difficult time figuring out which piece to latch onto

I also feel like the constant stream of systems prevents the blocking from ever progressing far enough East. Every low either gets squashed by the HP to the West or pulled north by the system ahead of it. 

41 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Any snow before Christmas is bonus snow. Let's wait until then and see how the pattern shakes out, once the Arctic air has been established. If we continue to get pushes of cold air, we're bound to score eventually (even if we have to wait until mid January)

March 1st has entered the chat.....

How many times have we seen this post on here!  LOL!

The cold dome is on the move but we're going to need better blocking over the next couple of weeks to pull this off.  JB is certainly honking  

• Like 2

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic