Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

13 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

does this mean what happens after tuesday is the gradual step up towards spring?

Sorry I just don't get caught up in all the over the top panic in regards to the lack of snow and cold on December 5th. Today's and tomorrows highs in the 20's  will be the coldest of the season thus far so typical December weather minus the snow to this point. Sounds like another decent warm up on the table mid month which I'm fine with. Thereafter, maybe we can get an abrupt change to winter. If not, I'll be dissapointed as I'd love to see some snow threats around the holidays for a change...it's been a few years. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Baum said:

Sorry I just don't get caught up in all the over the top panic in regards to the lack of snow and cold on December 5th. Today's and tomorrows highs in the 20's  will be the coldest of the season thus far so typical December weather minus the snow to this point. Sounds like another decent warm up on the table mid month which I'm fine with. Thereafter, maybe we can get an abrupt change to winter. If not, I'll be dissapointed as I'd love to see some snow threats around the holidays for a change...it's been a few years. 

We had the perfect snowfall last xmas eve/day.   Area-wide 3-5".  So we're screwed on white xmas prospects for the next 30 yrs or so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Saw 5.5" of wet snow yesterday then towards dark the dry slot crept in enough to end the heavy precip for most of the night, then early this morning snow and wind moved in with a vengeance, with another (estimated) 3" falling since then and still coming down but not nearly as heavy.  Should see a total of 4-6" today.

Both snow stakes reading 15" otg and my season total just under 3 feet now, which is probably pretty close to average for my location.

• Like 4

Here's the totals recorded for this system. We got hit pretty good. Forecast was on the money. Very cold out with breezy conditions. Very windy after midnight into this morning. Temps around 0 to 5 above right now. Couple days of cold, then a little more snow. LES should be pretty strong into the UP of MI.

dec 5 snow totals.gif

• Like 1

It's looking increasingly good for southern MN through the UP this weekend.  There is good model agreement.
I don't mind missing the snow, but models also show much of the rain missing southeast as well.  The Euro looks thunderstormy for folks in the Ohio Valley and even up to Michigan.
sn10_acc.us_mw.png
prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_mw.png

Likely would be some sort of severe potential with it, just glancing at a few things.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Getting into rarefied air now.

Dec 2012 produced 2 blizzards but Chicago & SWMI were mostly screwed out of the sig snow swathes. I was working along the lakeshore in St. Joseph at that time, and the first storm was the worst windstorm I've ever experienced. Was almost like being in a hurricane. Sounded like things were being ripped off the roof of the 4 story building I worked in.

1589768587_20121219NWSWarns.png.793299a05f2ad7c457bfea9528cc7125.pngpost-1182-0-90558800-1356542613.gif.e90d1cff27c7ff9644a9445bf866516a.gif

25 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

And I'm sure there are 10 more years of 1.1-2 inches this far.  Big deal.  You can find a statistic to support a view.  

The discussion is about measurable snow. No one is arguing the fact that many years may have had only an inch or two of measurable snow. If ORD can slip through tomorrow night, 2021 will shoot from a top 10 to top 5 in latest measurable snow. You can say that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics all you want, but it is getting very late for a 1" snow in Chicago.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

The discussion is about measurable snow. No one is arguing the fact that many years may have had only an inch or two of measurable snow. If ORD can slip through tomorrow night, 2021 will shoot from a top 10 to top 5 in latest measurable snow. You can say that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics all you want, but it is getting very late for a 1" snow in Chicago.

It sounds like that's exactly what the argument is. Some are making it seem like this is the worst December ever,  this December is so terrible, and It never snows in December anymore..etc

But yes, I won't and shouldn't argue a statistic, it is getting very late for measurable snow.  But the statistic is not all that impressive to me I guess. People maybe using that statistic to indicate such a terrible start to the year

After an overnight high of 29, it was downhill all day.  Temp has fallen to 6 degrees this evening with a fine, low visibility snow falling.  At the current rate of snowfall, it might add up to another 1/2" overnight.

Between yesterday and today, I measured 10.5-11" of new snow.  Many areas of the far western and eastern UP saw a foot from this storm, and combined with the winds it has caused significant issues on the backroads that haven't been officially plowed yet.  

Deep winter night in the north.

nohrsc_48hsnow.us_mw.png.23476203bbe80dd1eedc67b0432d23f5.png

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

After an overnight high of 29, it was downhill all day.  Temp has fallen to 6 degrees this evening with a fine, low visibility snow falling.  At the current rate of snowfall, it might add up to another 1/2" overnight.

Between yesterday and today, I measured 10.5-11" of new snow.  Many areas of the far western and eastern UP saw a foot from this storm, and combined with the winds it has caused significant issues on the backroads that haven't been officially plowed yet.  

Deep winter night in the north.

nohrsc_48hsnow.us_mw.png.23476203bbe80dd1eedc67b0432d23f5.png

Definitely a fast start in the snow department in the north woods. We’ll be up in the Big Bay area in February, hopefully the snow is stupid deep while we’re up there!

• Like 1

Here's a little different take on the Chicago futility thus far.  These are the years with 0.5" or less on the season through 12/15:

T:  2012

T:  1965

0.1":  2001

0.2":  1998

0.2":  1993

0.2":  1938

0.3":  1999

0.3":  1984

0.3":  1948

0.3":  1943

0.4":  1939

0.4":  1912