Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Repost from several days back, but we are about to enter the top 10…

5ed9bae2afbf55c46a0d06c4648d10e5.jpg

Meh, practically the same thing happened last year with no significant snows until late December. Just barely enough last year to qualify as measurable to stay off that graph.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Pretty sure SE. MI has already had two snow events, and the Detroit area is already up to 6-8” on the season through the end of November.

It took like 8 hours to accumulate 2 inches for each event. I guess its better than what other areas have seen, but being on the edge of the warmer air all week was annoying. I think we're all ready for a big event.

It took like 8 hours to accumulate 2 inches for each event. I guess its better than what other areas have seen, but being on the edge of the warmer air all week was annoying. I think we're all ready for a big event.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

November just ended, and it was a top 20 snowy November for Detroit…which featured a 4”+ event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm definitely ready for a big event. I didn't time the events but we had a few hrs of heavy snow here with the first storm (4 incher). It made for amazing scenes with christmas decor. I'd have to imagine big events are coming for the sub..but as you said...have to smell the rain. So when and where tbd. 

1 hour ago, White as Snow said:

"It don't snow in December no more."

We go through this every December... I get that we can pull up statistics about latest snow or least amount of December snow..etc.. but we're generally talking about a few inches as of this time in December for most of us... Slow start yes.  But time is on our side so far

If you live in or around Chicago, then you know how much December has sucked lately.  It inspired me to look up some December stats to see how bad of a run it's been. 

Guess what?  The last 3 Decembers (so that's 2018-2020) each had under 3" of snow in Chicago.  That is the first time on record with back to back to back sub 3" Decembers.  There were a couple other times that it almost happened, but not quite.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If you live in or around Chicago, then you know how much December has sucked lately.  It inspired me to look up some December stats to see how bad of a run it's been. 

Guess what?  The last 3 Decembers (so that's 2018-2020) each had under 3" of snow in Chicago.  That is the first time on record with back to back to back sub 3" Decembers.  There were a couple other times that it almost happened, but not quite.

Yeah..it's not that uncommon to have less than 3 in of snow at this point in time.  Even in the years where we had more by now, it's  probably 4 in or something really close

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Your expectations are unrealistic.

November just ended, and it was a top 20 snowy November for Detroit…which featured a 4”+ event.

Some areas on the east side didn't get 4 inches, a slushy inch on the grass. I don't think it's unrealistic to hope for an event where it snows an inch an hour for a couple hours at least. I dont have much expectations after living my whole life here, but that being said these wimpy events where it takes 8 hours to get 3 inches are getting old. Id rather have sun and warmth.

35 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Stayed in the low 20's with snow showers all day that ended up amounting to around 2".

Tonight It's 16 degrees with close to calm winds and there's a smell of snow in the air.  First winter storm of the season incoming.

Meanwhile, Back Home Again in Indiana had a high of 49 and currently 32 with clear skies in case you had a hankering for some of the old time weather. Which you will not but I still will put it out there.

• Like 1

Looking like a chance that next weekend's dog isn't going to thread the needle for many in this sub.  If it doesn't I'm hoping something noteworthy can come from the torch that follows.  Might as well try to make a run at 70, which would be pretty impressive for mid-month December.  

I imagine we'll end up getting one hell of an arctic blast in late Dec or sometime in January as the intense cold continues to build up in northern Canada/Alaska whilst we bask in the subtropical air down here.

^

enjoy it while it lasts. Finish up the mid month Christmas shopping. I still do mine at the stores, as I enjoy the atmosphere, so a Nashville level warmth(Dallas?), won't dent my spirits to bad. All the while knowing when mother nature decides to even the score it's going to be special....perhaps right during Christmas and New Years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looking like a chance that next weekend's dog isn't going to thread the needle for many in this sub. 

The shift towards positive tilt junk has been significant the last day or two.

So unless that potential comes back, or Thursdays event up north in MN/WI/MI ends up further south, it might be about time to ring the futility bells.

58 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The shift towards positive tilt junk has been significant the last day or two. 10 years or so

So unless that potential comes back, or Thursdays event up north in MN/WI/MI ends up further south, it might be about time to ring the futility bells.

fyp.

• Sad 1