Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Quick question.  Is there any snow on the ground in Metro Boston?  From the NH network I can see that the ground is covered around the Mass/NH line but the Mass Cam network is down.  I'm just curious if metro west/Rt 128 on the north side is totally bare?  Thanks

Not imby metro west.   I got a coating on the 24th and no reach around the night of the 25h.

Just now, weathafella said:

Be careful.  I think you’d probably average as much or more in Westboro.   Maybe Will can clarify.   

It’s prob fairly close but I’ll bet “pit2” averages a bit more. But they can get skunked sometimes being right on the water in the wrong type of pattern…that’s why it’s close to begin with and once you go a few miles inland in Maine it increases rapidly….in a latitude gradient pattern they will do much better regardless. 

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Quick question.  Is there any snow on the ground in Metro Boston?  From the NH network I can see that the ground is covered around the Mass/NH line but the Mass Cam network is down.  I'm just curious if metro west/Rt 128 on the north side is totally bare?  Thanks

I just posted in the other thread that I have a couple of inches about 2 mi from the NH line in N Mass, but its gone by the time you hit I 495. I surprised...I though the snow early Sunday AM had made it father south.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s prob fairly close but I’ll bet “pit2” averages a bit more. But they can get skunked sometimes being right on the water in the wrong type of pattern…that’s why it’s close to begin with and once you go a few miles inland in Maine it increases rapidly….in a latitude gradient pattern they will do much better regardless. 

Right on the water but any wind direction north of due east has considerable travel over land before reaching P-2.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Average at Pit 2 should be in the 70" neighborhood.

Yeah that makes sense....and ORH is about that also and Westboro should be close.   Hippy’s nod to more comfy summers gives coastal Maine an edge if that’s what people want.   One also would have to endure long periods of dank in the spring and early summer.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah that makes sense....and ORH is about that also and Westboro should be close.   Hippy’s nod to more comfy summers gives coastal Maine an edge if that’s what people want.   One also would have to endure long periods of dank in the spring and early summer.

Not to mention the peace and quiet out of the racket of suburban life

30 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ha ha, Hasn't been that mild up here, Folks are out ice fishing.

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The last week has been fairly wintry. 6"+ last weekend, icing event midweek, then the Christmas 3" with sleet and ZR mixed in.

22 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Apparently so—making me all that more eager to be here permanently.

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Some lakes and most ponds are frozen with ice thickness from 3-6"

It's been solidly below normal the last 7 days.

7dTDeptNRCC.png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The average here is about 75" so a little more than Westborough. 

While I'll flirt with the rain/snow line, in some instances, that usually sets up further down the peninsula.  Think of Rt 1 in Maine as the Rt 2 in Mass.  Along and north of RT 1 will tend to be on the 'right' side of the boundary.  I remember when I lived up here and Blue Spruce would be posting (wasn't he in Belfast?).  Many events he'd be tainting while I'd be still snowing.

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I wish Westborough could muster what ORH gets.  It doesn't.  :) 

Just outside of 495 and just north of the Pike doesn't suck though.

51 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I mean our summers are not that hot, and furthermore they are definitely not that long.  Why anyone would want to escape the week of heat we get to go put a shawl on is beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

GYX didn't issue a WWA for the Christmas day snow but we have one for tonight's, Ok.

I pray that it's warranted.

Edit:  Bleh. 

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 10 AM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
  of up to one inch and ice accumulations of a light glaze
  expected.