Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

58 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

New grass?

Actually I am at the tail end of a landscaping project. Some new grass yeah but got that established in October, and with the colder weather it can handle the dry. It's the new shrubs/trees I have been picking away at planting for the last month or so(all evergreens). Been having to water them occasionally.

1 minute ago, Ji said:
8 minutes ago, CAPE said:
CFS not looking too shabby for the end of Dec into mid Jan with -EPO/-NAO combo. :weenie:
1641254400-1lqvxuYWhzQ.png
1642204800-yAGpxfNILkM.png

That would be good timing...better than it being the case now

It seems to have nailed the upcoming (crap) pattern, assuming it verifies as advertised. It had the h5 look we are currently seeing on the global ensembles over the next 2 weeks+ more than a month ago, when there was talk of HL blocking among the twitter geeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

With this increasingly coherent MJO passage past the dateline, we should start to see some response in the ensemble mean 500mb anomalies. But  yikes, they haven’t yet.

I remember a few years ago someone was arguing why a cold phase mjo wasn’t actually going to be cold using a bunch of really specific variables. I remember I got annoyed because I asked “well when those 18 things are all true what mjo phase do we want if 8 is no good and got no answer”. Maybe this will be another example of how the mjo works except when it doesn’t. 

40 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I remember a few years ago someone was arguing why a cold phase mjo wasn’t actually going to be cold using a bunch of really specific variables. I remember I got annoyed because I asked “well when those 18 things are all true what mjo phase do we want if 8 is no good and got no answer”. Maybe this will be another example of how the mjo works except when it doesn’t. 

Here's the rub though there usually is a lag time before we feels the effects of phase 7. 

So if someone more knowledgeable could chime in, I’ve been watching what looks like a little vort that started in far northern Quebec trend further and further southwest (edit: corrected from southeast) for Wednesday through a number of runs now, particularly on the gfs. 12z had it at the south end of James bay around crunch time. If that were to continue, could that potentially influence the storm we’re tracking to head further north? I think I remember last year we lost a storm when a piece of the TPV came down too far and the storm we wanted ended up feeling that and cutting instead. Not sure if that’s in play here.

59 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That is something you have mentioned previously.  I think you speculated that perhaps its the case that the effect of the "good" MJO phases are muted/non-existent if they are contraposed to the current base state.  If that were to be true, then one would expect the upcoming time in 7 (assuming it actually verifies) to have little or no noticeable impact.

Perhaps its still better to have it in in 7 and not helping rather than in 4-5-6 and actively hurting.

Or maybe none of the old logic makes any difference in the new regime anymore. 

• mappy unpinned this topic