Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

33 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

that year was worth losing winter..  having the june 1st tornado cross in front of me on 91 and then that storm.. my weenie dreams were filled lol

I need to get back to the Brimfield antique show so I can see the remaining damage from that tornado across the street in the woods 

10 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Can you hit 70 with elevation?

Usually somewhat blocked by the 785 ft Hill to my NE fo r NE winds on Margaret Henry Rd in Sterling. Wish it was a daytime storm for 2 reasons, one being a weenie 2 being a homeowner. Want to keep an eye on things. Nothing worse than shit banging off the house and not knowing what it is. Also agree with Chris Legro that N winds will surprise with mixing. 

42 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

yeah that worked out great in Oct 2011 :ph34r:

I had read something, years ago, that suggested that...anthropomorphizing as it may be, the atmosphere has to "learn" how to storm after long periods with no synoptic storms (e.g. summer). That once it had done it one time, something in the atmosphere had "learned" something and was primed to do it more easily the next time. Tip, any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Usually somewhat blocked by the 785 ft Hill to my NE fo r NE winds on Margaret Henry Rd in Sterling. Wish it was a daytime storm for 2 reasons, one being a weenie 2 being a homeowner. Want to keep an eye on things. Nothing worse than shit banging off the house and not knowing what it is. Also agree with Chris Legro that N winds will surprise with mixing. 

Any thoughts this area to you gusts? Curious 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I thought rain was usually a stabilizing mechanism unless it was true convective rain?  Or is that what you mean?  I figured many times big wind is in the dry slots with better mixing.

Yeah I think it only works in more convective scenarios. Otherwise I have noticed when I lived in the Northeast, the big winds are when it was dry.

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah I think it only works in more convective scenarios. Otherwise I have noticed when I lived in the Northeast, the big winds are when it was dry.

But if you see very windy conditions right off the deck wouldn’t heavy rain have a better chance of mixing that down?

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But if you see very windy conditions right off the deck wouldn’t heavy rain have a better chance of mixing that down?

I thought it stabilizes through lowering lapse rates in precipitation?  Cool, moist saturated air?

I just know it seems that folks are usually like “wow rain stopped and wind started roaring”… I think there’s better mixing without rain cooled stabilizing boundary layer.

The real question is there an inversion present at all in the low levels?  If so I think rain stabilizes and strengthens the inversion.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I thought it stabilizes through lowering lapse rates in precipitation?  Cool, moist saturated air?

I just know it seems that folks are usually like “wow rain stopped and wind started roaring”… I think there’s better mixing without rain cooled stabilizing boundary layer.

The real question is there an inversion present at all in the low levels?  If so I think rain stabilizes and strengthens the inversion.

When it’s sunny 100% yes. During Isaias when we were all ripping 60-70 in CT the sun was out much of the time 

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

But from such a low elevation?  Regarding inversion-I think it exists in cyclonic flow situations and capped high pressure but then wouldn’t heavy rain tend to break it?

32 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

I had read something, years ago, that suggested that...anthropomorphizing as it may be, the atmosphere has to "learn" how to storm after long periods with no synoptic storms (e.g. summer). That once it had done it one time, something in the atmosphere had "learned" something and was primed to do it more easily the next time. Tip, any thoughts?

Unfortunately, I have never heard of any kind of retarding or action belated based upon lack of antecedence -   

My immediate impression is that is meaningless  - storms happen by restoring forces, no other constraining factors - if the breach between the two sides is opened, A --> B until A = B.  Period.

When synoptic imbalances set up, the action of restoring ( " --> " ) is the 'storm event' - but A and B are wholly physically identifiable para and discrete metrics.

Like hot over there...cold over here... through moisture in between - boom. There's no "rehearsal" or practice about it.  

I understand your fuzzy with memory..  I'd have to read whatever it is you're referring to render a very good opinion  -but just based upon what you've said ..heh.

Just now, kdxken said:

Strange to see some people on Twitter act like this is a monster storm locally... when you pull up the model data and soundings it looks like a fairly run-of-the-mill nor'easter

Your rookies at BOX likely caught playing catch-up with pants down as damage reports come in overnight ORH west to HFD

• Haha 1