Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One thing that sucks this year is we might have to clear leaves at my mother-in-law’s house.  The guy who used to do it is all done (retired) and we have had trouble finding someone. 

There is no place to put the leaves.  My departed father in law used to haul them miles away.  I ain’t doing that. 

You should blow them to the curb and hire someone with one of those leaf vacuums . Lots of landscapers do that 

7 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Don't the towns just come by and suck the leaves up? A lot of towns in Connecticut have curbside leaf pickup. You just pile them up along the side of the road and a truck with a big hose comes along and sucks them up and takes them to where ever they take them to be disposed.

I only know of Worcester doing it, or at least did it in the past. 

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How is that any different than a lawnmower and a snowblower. Unless you have one of those manual push mower with the blades that chops up the grass that they used in the 50’s.

The maintenance folks outside my former office use leaf blowers, and they're noisier when heard thru closed windows than my 8-horse Craftsman snow blower when I'm at the handles.  (And I run it full throttle.)  Motors may produce similar decibels but that fan is orders of magnitude louder than the business end of the snow blower.

It's pretty crazy how far above normal this is... but it is absolutely top 10 weather 60s and 70s over 50s.

Normal is 60/38 at MVL.  So far this month we are only +3 on the highs but +10 on the mins and that looks to get even higher, especially at night.

If there is a time of year for a torch, it's now (and April).

Untitled.jpg.9dbe6b27fde9f9b197c8b09c88e4d2ad.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Maybe leaf blowing oak leaves Christmas week off of the frozen white landscape?

Leaves over snow make for unstable footing.  I found that out when remeasuring a pine plantation (established 1984) north of Flagstaff Lake in 2000.  Long Falls Dam had recorded 10" on Oct. 10-11 and I was there a week later, with the popple (aspen) leaves having fallen in between.  Wet leaves atop wet snow makes for a skid special, and wet clothes after numerable landings.  (LFD had a 14" dump end of the month and some other bits for 25" total, not bad for October.)

47 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Don't the towns just come by and suck the leaves up? A lot of towns in Connecticut have curbside leaf pickup. You just pile them up along the side of the road and a truck with a big hose comes along and sucks them up and takes them to where ever they take them to be disposed.

Nope.  Not in her town at least.   I don’t know of any towns near me that do that

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's pretty crazy how far above normal this is... but it is absolutely top 10 weather 60s and 70s over 50s.

Normal is 60/38 at MVL.  So far this month we are only +3 on the highs but +10 on the mins and that looks to get even higher, especially at night.

Meanwhile ... loop this: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

It's really almost more than merely symbolic to me, how the synoptics seem to be passing backward through April ...en route to winter.   Just like we see in that dreaded god-forsaken rectal plaque month, we get these north Atlantic conveyors to set up ... as though preordained by geology millions of years ago.. predicting the future, targeting SNE ( seen abv)

It's pooling here.  The NAM has this for 72 hours... unrelenting.  While it's 60 going to 74 up your way, with gem skies that only polish in time. 

top 10 there

bottom 10 here

• Like 2

heh...I may be over stating...  It just sucks landing this butt plug off the Atlantic on a Saturday and Sunday. 

I'm liking these MEX numbers from HFD to FIT here in the interior.  It can do this until November 15 for all I care:

SAT  09| SUN 10| MON 11| TUE 12| WED 13| THU 14| FRI 15| SAT 16 CLIMO
 X/N  61| 44  66| 52  72| 51  75| 53  73| 57  74| 51  75| 53  73 39 62

That said ...I still don't like the look of the American- based telecon spread for the distant range. Tries to flip seasons too quickly .. and by "too quickly" - normal pattern gestation-timing wouldn't likely carry that a long way, particularly when the hemispheric winter gradient hasn't even evinced what that pattern is likely to be just yet.  Unless it's 1995 ..heh -

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Just blow 'em over the stonewall and you're done.  One thing that I'm sure Kevin approves us, is that now that I live in suburbia, I do it several times rather than the 1-and-done approach I miss so much.

Yeah when I was in NH, it was 3-4 times in suburbia and then when I bought in the sticks, one and done.  Now back to 3-4 times

That’s why I have landscaping done for me-nothing to haul (although there are woods to blow it into but getting from front yard to backyard to woods is a colossal pain..), time freed up for me-not unreasonably priced.  They come multiple times before final cleanup and they charge me $500 total.   When I work I’m billing my time at $200/hour...if I’m going to work at all it has to be worthwhile. 

I couldn’t do clean up in 2 and 1/2 hours.

• Like 1

Torch!!

Amplifying pattern across CONUS for Thursday and Friday (at least),
with ridge aloft with +2 sigma height anomalies across most of the
eastern US and southwest sfc winds. Fairly active center of the
country with a deep trough aloft, with a likely slow-evolving cold
front moving through the MS Valley and western OH Valley. 850 mb
temps vary slightly across models but aren`t any cooler than +12C.
These forecast ideas fairly well agreed upon across most models.

Main story in this period is an overall dry weather pattern with
above to even well-above normal temps. Expecting highs to run in the
mid to upper 70s for most (cooler near the coast). It is lower
probability but not out of the question a few sites could approach
80 degrees by Friday! MEX-based temps are some 12-15 degrees warmer
than mid-October climatology. That`s pretty telling since MEX MOS
guidance tends to bias/trend towards climo in the extended range.

Next chance for rain looks to be around next weekend. Uncertainty in
timing but the amped-up mid-level pattern would favor a slower
outcome than a progressive one. While details aren`t clear,
indications are that it could be a fairly significant frontal
passage when it does clear through SNE, given synoptic scale
indications of strong height falls and SSW subtropical feed of
moisture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

That’s why I have landscaping done for me-nothing to haul (although there are woods to blow it into but getting from front yard to backyard to woods is a colossal pain..), time freed up for me-not unreasonably priced.  They come multiple times before final cleanup and they charge me $500 total.   When I work I’m billing my time at $200/hour...if I’m going to work at all it has to be worthwhile. 

I couldn’t do clean up in 2 and 1/2 hours.

As we get older. People cannot underestimate how much that time means. As the kids get active and your weekends are dedicated entirely to their sporting activities.. there’s not enough time to spend raking, blowing, etc. So you are willing to spend money to have it done for you. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As we get older. People cannot underestimate how much that time means. As the kids get active and your weekends are dedicated entirely to their sporting activities.. there’s not enough time to spend raking, blowing, etc. So you are willing to spend money to have it done for you. 

It’s not cheap. So despite busy weekends, people are going to find it tough to pay big bucks for landscaping.

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One thing that sucks this year is we might have to clear leaves at my mother-in-law’s house.  The guy who used to do it is all done (retired) and we have had trouble finding someone. 

There is no place to put the leaves.  My departed father in law used to haul them miles away.  I ain’t doing that. 

Sounds like mulch time

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It still makes me feel uneasy though.