• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discussion Thread: Bring the frost; kill the bugs.

moneypitmike

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t eat much dairy. Maybe a yogurt now and then. I eat red meat maybe once or twice a week. The rest is chicken and fish at least once a week. 

Same here, don't like milk, never drank it even when I was a kid, I like yogurt and have a little red meat now and then. Mostly fish and chicken for meat. My wife's really into eating healthy so I am by association. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Watch the seafood though. Some of that is farmed in some swill tank in Vietnam. A lot of fish may be farmed,  but in open water it’s generally ok. I know it’s not cheap, but generally it’s a healthy source of protein. 

Yeah wild salmon is best as they’re eating a lot of zooplankton which help to give them that deep pink color full of astaxanthin. The farmers often feed their fish a lot of junk feed and artificial  astaxanthin to get the pink color. I’ll eat both, but try to get the wild if it’s on sale.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Same here, don't like milk, never drank it even when I was a kid, I like yogurt and have a little red meat now and then. Mostly fish and chicken for meat. My wife's really into eating healthy so I am by association. 

I probably should ease off red meat a bit more, but I do like me some steak tips and burgers. 
My issue is snacking. I ease off that, and I’ll melt away 20lbs. I generally exercise 4-5x per week.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Props to you. We’ve talked about this many times before, but I’m similar to you. I can handle lactose, but I get major sinus infections with any amount of dairy. I think raw or fermented dairy is okay for people who can handle it, but many have intolerances to it. I have the weird issue with bananas too. I’ve kicked all processed foods, grains, gluten, refined sugar, and refined oil. The fewer the ingredients the better. 

I don’t worry about red meat, but prefer the taste of grass finished beef. I don’t eat it a lot, but occasionally I get a craving. I try to eat some organ meat as well…humans used to go for the organs in a kill first, but now we’re all muscle meat. I try to get salmon, sardines, and shellfish when I can too. I’ve debated you in excessive long distance running before, but it easily beats a sedentary lifestyle. I’m more of a sprinting fan. 

We’re all different so you need to tailor your lifestyle for what works for you, but that’s a good base to start from. I get sick thinking about the crap I used to put in my body. There’s a reason why so many people are obese and have metabolic issues…and the government guidelines have been stuck in their archaic ways. 

Anyway…nice evening out there. 

Sprint interval training? That's what I do, it's helped immensely getting me into shape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If folks would do 3 simple things, they’d lower levels and be in range. I’ve done all 3 for the last 10 years :

1) Give up all dairy products cold Turkey and completely for good . I mean everything.. no cheating at all

2) Give up red meat 

3) Physical, strenuous cardio exercise 4-5 days a week .. preferably running or a combination of running , swimming, biking.

Most of the cholesterol and health issues will diminish and vanish. But you’ve got to make it a lifestyle change and be motivated to stick with it for the rest of your life. It’s not something you can do and then cheat and then change . Commit to it and have the personal stubbornness to stay with it for life  .. for yourself and especially for your family 

How's the diarrhea 

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I had bad reflux at times in the early 2010s when I got into my early 30s. After changing my diet up it’s 100% gone. Certain foods trigger the inflammation for me and it’ll briefly come back if I have them. Acidic foods aren’t really the culprit…it’s whatever foods are causing the inflammation that don’t allow that valve to seal off the stomach acid from coming back up. Your stomach is supposed to be acidic. 

I tried to pinpoint it, but it’s literally everything… no exaggeration. Fruits, vegetables, meat, drinks, anything. It’s so bad.

I was on 40mg of pantoprazole daily for a while, and ive been able to come down to 20mg over medication that I don’t need a prescription for, so I guess that’s an improvement?

43 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I try to eat some organ meat as well…humans used to go for the organs in a kill first, but now we’re all muscle meat.

I love the ancestral look to eating.  How evolution and prosperity has changed human food habits from the hunter/gathering societies.

56/49 at MVL.  This is above normal, it has been, but it's still noticeably chillier than what we saw this summer.  Any dews below 50 seem like another season.  Something is happening in the seasonal change, just not shockingly in any way.

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t eat much dairy. Maybe a yogurt now and then. I eat red meat maybe once or twice a week. The rest is chicken and fish at least once a week. 

I find it's the older folks that are like...milk obsessed....its weird.  My parents and grandparents still are like "are you getting your milk? It's good for you.  You don't want osteoporosis like your great aunt." Lol

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pizza Chef in Southbridge on the corner of Elm and Main St.  That was my childhood summer pizza.  Grinders too.

They're still in town, just a different spot, Zoe's Pizza is there now, Dryslot reminded me of them because I used to get a steak, cheese, pepper and onion grinder all the time.

58 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

You can have the rest, but the pancreas is mine.

Chicken gizzard in red hot Italian sauce(gravy) 

Spezzi is an Italian favorite pretty much exclusive to the area where I grew up. Prep the gizzards by trimming and either par boil for 20 minutes or buttermilk soak overnight, then sweat sweet onions, green and hot red peppers. Add the gizzards and peeled roma tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil and bay leaf and some water. Simmer for 4 to 5 hours. (add tomato paste to thicken to a stew-like consistency).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I probably should ease off red meat a bit more, but I do like me some steak tips and burgers. 
My issue is snacking. I ease off that, and I’ll melt away 20lbs. I generally exercise 4-5x per week.

Red meat is my favorite land based meat.  Grilled to perfection with grilled veggies and potatoes.  Side salad.  Yum! 

All things in moderation. 

Meanwhile 58/54.  Hoping rain and showers are minimal out here the next few days.  Enjoying the drier days.

To each their own.  It makes sense to attempt to manage conditions naturally first.    Working in a healthcare setting I had to get annual flu shots.   I almost never get the flu anyway-maybe 3 times in my life.   The one time I got it after a flu shot (3 months later and confirmed with testing) it was relatively mild-I was 71 at the time.  

Treating my bp was a no brainer...my mother treated hers starting at age 32.   I at least got to wait till 49.   Statin at age 69.  I do take a ton of supplements but that’s because I’m a little crazy.   

My daughter is lactose intolerant.   Ultimately she became a vegan and looks and feels great over the past 2 years.   I have to have my fish though and half and half in my coffee.  My downfall is i kind of have an iron stomach-I can eat anything and it typically doesn’t bother me.

Humid tonight, ac back on for a day or 2.