• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Ida

WxWatcher007

Notably, Key West gusted to 64 mph yesterday during Ida's closest approach. Here's a snippet from NWS Key West disco early this morning: "After an extremely active late afternoon/evening and overnight period, with fast-moving squalls producing numerous wind gusts over 35 knots and a few gusts over 50 knots, weather conditions are starting to quiet down across the Florida Keys and surrounding coastal waters"

Gusts in excess of 60 mph being reported at the oil rigs offshore the Mississippi Delta, and first squall line has moved in across the Delta. The hurricane has begun!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Reimer said:

NOAA plane is departing and with the USAF aircraft OOS mechanical, we won't have recon back into Ida until 3 AM CT Sunday. What a wonderful time to have no recon in a system. :damage:

Reminds me of last year when the plane was half way to Eta and then turned around during the most impressive satellite presentation of the storm and probably a cat 5.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

IR presentation rapidly becoming more impressive, vigorous deep convection wrapping all the way around. Probably making a run to Cat 4 right now, recon or not. https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=meso-meso1-14-96-1-25-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

I was just gonna say. I've been kinda blah about Ida's appearance all evening but I think this may finally be the strengthening trend we've been anticipating. Ida is also crossing over the loop current heat as we speak.

GOES01412021241sCmB6G.jpg

Hurricane-force wind radii is quite large. If landfall still occurs near OFCL theres a chance areas as far as the LA/MS coast could see hurricane-force winds -- likely for several hours.

Meanwhile raw ADT estimates are approaching category 4 intensity... but the final ADT# is sitting at ~115mph.

Ida wind radii.gif

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 8.46.23 PM.png

• Like 1

Here's hoping that the next recon plan won't have issues like the one plane earlier.  I'll be asleep during that time so I won't know until I wake up.

Should also mention that if Ida takes a direct hit on the NWS of New Orleans, there's a small possibility that Ida might destroy the WSR-88D if Ida strengthens to cat 4 or stronger.

4 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

I was just gonna say. I've been kinda blah about Ida's appearance all evening but I think this may finally be the strengthening trend we've been anticipating. Ida is also crossing over the loop current heat as we speak.

GOES01412021241sCmB6G.jpg

If it just keeps deepening at the rate it has all day it’ll be in the 940s and that’s a pretty beastly storm. 

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Ida