• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2021 Discussion/Obs

George BM

Second storm in the series just went through, which intensified and has prompted a  SSW  for points South of me.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
714 PM EDT Mon Aug 23 2021

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southwestern New Castle County in northern Delaware...
  Northern Kent County in central Delaware...

* Until 800 PM EDT.

* At 714 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Green Spring,
  or 8 miles south of Middletown, moving southeast at 25 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damage to roofs, siding, trees, and power lines is
           possible.

* Locations impacted include...
  Dover, Middletown, Smyrna, Camden, Clayton, Cheswold, Woodside,
  Hartly, Rising Sun-Lebanon, Hazlettville, Delaney Corner, Dover
  Base Housing, Dover Speedway, Green Spring, Rising Sun, Townsend,
  Wyoming, Odessa, Kenton and Little Creek.

40 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Getting a random downpour from that Frederick cell rolling over gambrill/watershed. No lightning tho. Little bit of wind.

It just took a weird left turn and getting a nice downpour now.  Glad I waited to water the flowers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

DCA at 34” on the year, IAD at 23”.  I’m at 35”.  Annandale pushing 40” in Fairfax Co.

The low spots are along I81, exactly where you’d expect them to be.  Except the Dulles area which is a relative min.  The high spots are in the SE part of VA, again, expected.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRaHS.  If you go to View Data and then the total precip summary link, you can get the data.  Have to be careful about who is submitting every day and who only occasionally does it.

Cool...should have done my digging before asking about it!

The closest PWS to me is at 35.85" for the year, though there are no reports from January 1 through February 4. Seems they report pretty regularly.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

The low spots are along I81, exactly where you’d expect them to be.  Except the Dulles area which is a relative min.  The high spots are in the SE part of VA, again, expected.

Yeah. I'm in the Dulles area. I can confirm. For the past month I've watched storms and microbursts move around me the "highlight" being a microburst that hit Sterling a few miles to my north followed by the one that hit Franklin Farm, Reston, Vienna, etc. A couple miles to my south and southeast on August 13th.

Believe it or not I haven't mowed the grass since Saturday, July 17th (over 5 weeks). The recent rains have finally allowed the grass to grow enough that I will mow it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Forecast this morning now shows 90+ through the weekend.  So, now the backdoor front disappeared too.  Wonderful.  Just wonderful.

It’s there just unsure how far southwest it pushes. Overnight euro still has it cool us off slightly. 

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

CoCoRaHS.  If you go to View Data and then the total precip summary link, you can get the data.  Have to be careful about who is submitting every day and who only occasionally does it.

Oh nice, there’s a station very close to me. 31.46” for the YTD. 

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

This weather sucks

Yep - cannot wait for the first strong cold front to break the back of summer. I know late August is still pretty early...just hoping it's not one of those years where we wait until early October to truly knock down the temps. I'm sure a big front will come through in September - but we can rebound behind those if the return flow and H5 pattern is "right" 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

This weather sucks

IAD is only showing +1.6F for the month.  Kind of a testament to how warm the new normals are I guess. 

It's also easy to forget we were solidly negative for the first 7 days of the month (and +4.7 since 8.8).  If the next 4-5 days were not predicted to be so hot the overall month would finish solidly...normal.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, 87storms said:

Getting a random downpour from that Frederick cell rolling over gambrill/watershed. No lightning tho. Little bit of wind.

Yeah that was an amazing downpour. Was at the garden center of Lowes on the north side of town when it started. I had just noticed the deep orange moon rising when it suddenly just started pouring overhead. For about five minutes it was a deluge, yet the sky to the east was clear enough for the moon to be totally visible. It was a little surreal and just gorgeous.

• mappy unpinned this topic