Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

In a way this cloud debris may actually *help* things a bit. Given the high dewpoints and steep mid-level lapse rates we actually are destabilizing quite nicely. This cloud debris though may actually keep the mixed-layer capped a bit longer...holding off convective development. Also, this was really more of a late afternoon/early evening show anyways. Judging by sat trends we will see strong heating and once we really crank that the MLCIN should erode without problem. The RAP is getting MLCAPE upwards of 2500 J/KG which is pretty significant around here. It just sucks the mid-level is so bad...I think that's really going to hurt storm organization and limit how mature convection can get. 

That'd be funny, too - like the same thing that usual screws us finds a weird idiosyncratic means to do the opposite.   Talks about turning chicken shit into chicken salad. 

But this situ has changed since we typed earlier - par for the convective course, as it's also a game of observation and now-headaching the ordeal.

The skies really opened up to just fractal cu and heat.  It's jumped from 76 to 86 here in the last 1.5 hours of this clearing arrival - I mentioned that in the July thread that this type of air mass was sort of spring loaded like that, and that 10 minutes of sun can bounce degrees.   Anyway, 90 is plausible despite losing dawn to 10 am in murk skies.  That changes the map a little as far in inhibition. 

TCU and glaciation is now evidence more in western NY but racing east along that axis we mentioned and even N of there a little.  I bet a we get a MD/ watch here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Tomorrow actually looks better than today I think for severe and some hints at another weak EML (which there is one too just south of us today)

Interesting you say that about tomorrow being the better day, last night I almost posted to that effect... But I'm just not confident enough in my forecasting abilities, especially on this board with so many truly knowledgeable people, so I never hit the submit button. But yeah as of late last night I thought Wed could be the better day, although storms probably won't be as widespread as today - but that can be a good thing from a chasing perspective. I'll see how today plays out, then take another look at tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ct_yankee said:

Interesting you say that about tomorrow being the better day, last night I almost posted to that effect... But I'm just not confident enough in my forecasting abilities, especially on this board with so many truly knowledgeable people, so I never hit the submit button. But yeah as of late last night I thought Wed could be the better day, although storms probably won't be as widespread as today - but that can be a good thing from a chasing perspective. I'll see how today plays out, then take another look at tomorrow. 

Don't be afraid to post! that's what this place is for. 

I am still torn on how today progresses (in the severe department). The CAPE is certainly quite impressive, especially the MLCAPE...values 2000-3000 J don't happen here all that often. We have the very steep low-level lapse rates/DCAPE which really screams at wind damage potential...however, given the poor deep layer shear I think we're really going to struggle to organize convection enough and develop deep enough convection to really produce outside of some isolated/localized areas of damage. How NY fares with this activity will be telling for us. 

But I think tomorrow is looking better in terms of shear/instability combo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

Totally unscientific but it just has a feel today. Heard the first cicadas.

totally agree, it’s just plain soupy out, although I’ll probably be on the outside looking in. and I am ok with that. and I also heard cicadas today as well.

• Like 2

ACUS11 KWNS 062023

SWOMCD

SPC MCD 062023 

MAZ000-NHZ000-RIZ000-CTZ000-NYZ000-VTZ000-NJZ000-PAZ000-DEZ000-MDZ000-062200-

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1164

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0323 PM CDT TUE JUL 06 2021

AREAS AFFECTED...RI...MA...CT...NJ...SOUTHEAST NY...EASTERN

PA...NORTHERN DE...FAR NORTHEAST MD...SOUTHERN VT/NH

CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 335...336...

VALID 062023Z - 062200Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 335, 336

CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...THE THREAT FOR DAMAGING WINDS CONTINUES ACROSS THE

REMAINING VALID PORTIONS OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCHES 335 AND 336.

DISCUSSION...SEVERAL CLUSTERS OF SEVERE STORMS WERE IN PROGRESS AT

2015Z FROM WESTERN MA SOUTHWEST INTO NORTHEAST PA, WITH REPORTS OF

MEASURED SEVERE GUSTS AND WIND DAMAGE.  THE DOWNSTREAM ENVIRONMENT

WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR A CONTINUED SEVERE RISK WITH

MODERATE/STRONG MLCAPE AND 30-35 KTS OF WESTERLY FLOW IN THE 850-700

MB LAYER.  DAMAGING DOWNBURST WINDS REMAIN THE PRIMARY HAZARD AS

STORMS MOVE EAST/SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE EARLY EVENING HOURS.

FARTHER SOUTH ACROSS WW 336, LATEST VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS INCREASING

VERTICAL DEVELOPMENT OF A CUMULUS FIELD WITHIN A WEAKLY CONFLUENT

ZONE OVER SOUTHEAST PA, WHERE STRONG INSTABILITY IS IN PLACE WITH

MLCAPE IN EXCESS OF 2500 J/KG.  ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT

HAS OCCURRED OVER THE PAST HOUR, AND ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS

EXPECTED THROUGH EARLY EVENING WITH MULTICELL CLUSTERS POSING A RISK

FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND PERHAPS HAIL.

• Thanks 1

• TalcottWx changed the title to Severe Weather Thread - New England
  • ORH_wxman unpinned this topic
  • dendrite pinned this topic