Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE "Tropical" Season Discussion 2021

WxWatcher007

2 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

A CAT 1 is a beast by SNE standards, Pretty significant tree growth since Bob in 1991

Probably too in the weeds this far out but even a weaker system could be rough given the slow (relative to climo) motion projected on the guidance would bring prolonged rain and wind, not to mention terrible timing with regard to tides this weekend. 

31 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m thinking an Eduoard (1996) type impact.  Mostly ACK but things make you go hmmmmm

Can recall that storm heading due north straight as a string for about 2 days, right toward us, then making a near-instant (for a 'cane) turn to ENE and OTS.  Barely got a cloud in central Maine.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Probably too in the weeds this far out but even a weaker system could be rough given the slow (relative to climo) motion projected on the guidance would bring prolonged rain and wind, not to mention terrible timing with regard to tides this weekend. 

I'd think that slower motion would be a negative signal for wind, even accounting for duration, given the rapid weakening that would occur over cooler waters.  Hydro concerns might be ramped up however.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radarman said:

I'd think that slower motion would be a negative signal for wind, even accounting for duration, given the rapid weakening that would occur over cooler waters.  Hydro concerns might be ramped up however.

Maybe, but depending on the track I think you'd see areas that are already fairly saturated that could see trees go down easier. Of course, if it's a CT hit expect us to be knocked back to the 18th century :lol: 

5 hours ago, Thunderhead1 said:

For all i care that thing can stay away.

Growing up I used to wish for these storms to come up here. But after being stuck without power for 4 days from Irene changed my mind. 

You start to get anxious and aggravated after a few days. Plus, that habit of flipping the light switch everytime you enter a room, only to remember theres no power.

it's a tropical system and this is New England...you have nothing to worry about lol

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

6z euro op continues with OTS, but a little closer to the ULL to try and sling it north....however all well SE of the Cape. If anything some moisture interaction to mess up the weekend.

It just seems so off to me on intensity. Henri looks like it could hold its own when it runs into that shear later, and it should have a favorable environment for a while as it parallels the coast.

I know though that small systems can really get torn apart when encountering significant shear. 

The Euro continues to just be perplexingly bad with tropical handling ... wow.

It initialized Henri in the 00z around 1012 mb ... hello -

The GFS was almost spot on, by the way.

Not that anyone asked me but .. I don't believe the Euro can be trusted over anywhere between Bermuda, Cape Hatteras, and Cape Cod triangulum. It's paltry entity modulation does not seem realistic when comparing ( observable/favorable synoptic parametrics + other typically better performing modeling sources) / 2

In short: I would take a weaker system than the GFS but much more identity than the Euro, and except that the track is very anomalous and therefore some skepticism wrt to whether that aspect is being handled properly is required.

In length:  that said, I don't know if I would trust the very intenser modeling choices.   This is an unusual track ... I'll give you that.  But TC physics absolutely require a specific sounding that quasi-couples 79.5+ F SST with the lower tropospheric pseudo-adiabatic instability.  They are designed by nature to release water stored thermal energy to the atmosphere - the process really is a remarkable aspect of Earth's budgeting ...etc..etc.. 

70 F ( at best ..) spanning some 300 miles between the N interface with the Gulf Stream and Cape Cod, ain't it.  That is physically impossible as a TC maintenance. 

I am therefore suspect in how/why the GFS strengthens Henri when passing over those cooler waters.  Perhaps this thing is getting some sort of anomalous boost?  I don't know... it could have some crazy inflow jet that it "umbilical" while diffluence over the NE upper troposphere associated with anticyclonic divergence ESE of Maine/NS     ... Very speculative/imaginative to try and explain why the GFS does that. 

I think it is also possible that the modelers did this on purpose to f'k with and ultimate relish in Schadenfreude watching those that have no self control ... wind up like a top and spin way faster than this thing ever has any hope to.... LOL    j/k

• Like 5