Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Hawaii has one of the country’s most comprehensive mask mandates and a highly effective vaccine campaign. Despite that, Covid-19 cases on the islands are climbing with a ferocity that’s outstripping every other U.S. state

They have had increasing cases for about 4 weeks. There have been no changes in the number of deaths. In every other spike the deaths have followed 2-3 weeks later. So far, nada. In every instance I can find where vax rates are high, the death numbers are non existent despite increasing cases. They have 185 in the hospital. That’s less than half of what they had in the last spike. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

They have had increasing cases for about 4 weeks. There have been no changes in the number of deaths. In every other spike the deaths have followed 2-3 weeks later. So far, nada. In every instance I can find where vax rates are high, the death numbers are non existent despite increasing cases. They have 185 in the hospital. That’s less than half of what they had in the last spike. 

They are probably about to lock down again, though. 

14 minutes ago, radarman said:

Yeah no discussion of case severity mentioned in there that I saw.

Still seems like the flu situation to me. You get the vaccine in late summer to get you through the time of highest risk in winter and early spring. It makes sense to me that after 6-8 months natural immunity would be helped by a fresh vaccine shot. Same as a six month old vaccine shot apparently needs a booster... I'm assuming the cases for the natural immunity crowd were still mild, though.

8 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Real world evidence for all to see that the vaccines are good at reducing severe illness/death.  

There's no hard threshold, but it seems like the farther north of 50% that a state is with vaccinations, that's when you really see the big decoupling of cases from hospitalizations/deaths. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Real world evidence for all to see that the vaccines are good at reducing severe illness/death.  

There's no hard threshold, but it seems like the farther north of 50% that a state is with vaccinations, that's when you really see the big decoupling of cases from hospitalizations/deaths. 

How confident are you deep down that your vax can protect you from Delta?

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Sadly, it tasted like (going by old memory) something like Killian’s Irish Red ?   (Fake stuff by Coors). I think the server brought the wrong one. He said there was a red brew and a green.  The green was supposedly more flavorful.  What he brought looked red and was...bland?

I did try a brand here called Einstock Pale Ale that was excellent. 

Try some "Lava" brand stout if you can get it. Unlike Einstock, its not exported. Viking stuff- one will hold you for a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

How confident are you deep down that your vax can protect you from Delta?

Smartass question but the honest answer is not very confident in not catching Delta at some point.  I looked at my county's vaccine rate the other day and was very surprised to see it at only 41%, because I live in one of the few reliable Dem counties in IN.  There is a significant black/brown population here (over 30%) which has to be playing a role, but not attributing it to only that.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Coots light mixed with a little tomato juice. Touch of salt on top. Get the mix right, and it’s actually pretty good.

When I was a kid, I would go with my dad when he would service HVAC systems. A couple of his customers were bars. That’s what the old men who were there to drink their lunch would have. They called them red eyes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

When I was a kid, I would go with my dad when he would service HVAC systems. A couple of his customers were bars. That’s what the old men who were there to drink their lunch would have. They called them red eyes. 

Goes great with the pickled eggs in that big jar at the end of the bar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This is interesting.  Some limitations with the study but it does seem to poke a hole in the idea that "I already had covid so I don't need the vaccine", especially for people who had covid like a year ago. 

I think changes in someone's state of health over time are also worth considering.  If an unvaccinated person had covid and got through it, but in the meantime has developed leukemia, do you wanna take a chance on remaining unvaccinated?

Lol. What are the odds of that scenario? I’d like to see more more data to buy anything that says a vax is better than natural immunity resulting from infection. Waaaaay more

47 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We just called it red beer, but I’ve heard them called red eye too. It’s pretty good actually. Coors Light blows but a little tomato juice and some salt on top is pretty good. 
Im not a huge beer drinker. I know what I like. Not a fan of IPAs either. I’ll stick with a Sam lager.