Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not aimed at Phin, quote for good idea… This goes for anyone stressed about COVID  (restrictions or sickness, equal levels of stress these days it seems) or even any daily life stress at all.  Two things linked to lower stress…. Outdoor activity and dogs.  Get a dog, go outside and find something to laugh about…. Sounds like a goddamn Men’s Health article but it’s true. 

I know some think I just hike mountains all day but believe it or not I do work and THEN grab the dog and head outside for a couple hours each evening.  If anyone thinks they are the only ones who get stressed over work, ha!  6-8pm this time of year (or 4:30-6:30am) are the golden hours this time of year. Get outside, big fan.

Even something as simple as floating around a pond in a kayak, wandering some local naturalist trails, take the kids, whatever.  The head clearing is incredible when you are outside in the water, woods, etc.

Highly recommend.  And dogs.  Everyone needs more dogs.  Ginxy knows.

</end camp counselor hippy bullshit from a white bread suburban kid who found the outdoors peaceful>

This is spot on. Wife and I rescued a puppy from Georgia last summer. Its my first puppy and dog. The early morning and evening walks are incredible here along the shoreline. He goes to this spot like every walk and just chills and is so happy. I sit there with him and it's just so relaxing.

20210731-140825.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It’s really not even close either . 

Pats got a QB that is used to playing with the best offensive line , best RB’s and Wr’s and then another one with a dead arm . A ratter is a possibility, thou I would say 7-8 wins is more likely .

They should have had 9 wins last year, Seattle and KC games should have been wins and the Defense is markedly better this year. 10 wins is manageable 

26 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

They should have had 9 wins last year, Seattle and KC games should have been wins and the Defense is markedly better this year. 10 wins is manageable 

It’s is manageable , but I don’t see it .

Their offense is sorta sad . They are going to need to be top 5 in league in TE production to be offensively competitive unless Mac Jones is really good in NFL or Cam got his arm replaced .

17 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

So far it has been decent. Expensive but the prices include tax and you don’t tip.  We just ate some fish sandwiches for a late lunch. Each one was around $23.  So that would be around an $18 sandwich at home?

Had some excellent pastries and coffee our first morning. Lunch was meh at a museum.  Dinner I had trout. Best trout I’ve had I think. 

Yesterday and today we had breakfast at the hotel.  Decent continental style. We are lunch yesterday at a tomato greenhouse.  Excellent food.  I had tomato beer and tomato ice cream. 

We stayed at Air BnB's in Iceland and most of the time in Norway, but the 3 hotel stays included by far the best breakfast buffets I've experienced - intimate at Aurland, gigantic at Geiranger and in-between in Alesund, each scaled to the lodgings.  (The 4th and last hotel stay, in Oslo, our alarm failed to work and with no time for breakfast and a mad scramble to the station, we made our train to the airport with 30 seconds to spare.) 

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The info out of Israel continues to be completely at odds with what we are being told is happening here. Like total vaccine failure over there now.

That is interesting and certainly at odds with US data 

Now either way before reading your post ...I was going to ask a question about Covid and the younger average age of hospitalization that can be found in some data out of Florida .

It seems to me (and I do my best to not be biased or emotional ) that the delta variant is the biggest deviation from the original Covid strain we have seen . Different symptoms and potentially younger folks are more susceptible. I say potentially bc there seems to be enough anecdotal accounts to look into this seriously .

The media crys wolf for ratings so often that i was more apt to dismiss the delta variant as more ratings crap but it seems there is a case to be made its a bit more serious .

Now to your point , I would have to know more about the guy ...whose tweet you linked and If it’s accurate . ..what are his biases ...I’m not sure how their could be such a deviation in hospitalizations amongst vaccinated in Israel

Edit . So Israel has 85% of adults vaxxed so that starts to explain the high amount of vaxxed breakthroughs but I haven’t seen a other link that 90% of hospitalizations are in vaxxed people  That would be the real game changer and crap hit the fan moment 

is there any viable link to the % of severe Covid cases being in vaxxed Israeli people 

11 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That is interesting and certainly at odds with US data 

Now either way before reading your post ...I was going to ask a question about Covid and the younger average age of hospitalization that can be found in some data out of Florida .

It seems to me (and I do my best to not be biased or emotional ) that the delta variant is the biggest deviation from the original Covid strain we have seen . Different symptoms and potentially younger folks are more susceptible. I say potentially bc there seems to be enough anecdotal accounts to look into this seriously .

The media crys wolf for ratings so often that i was more apt to dismiss the delta variant as more ratings crap but it seems there is a case to be made its a bit more serious .

Now to your point , I would have to know more about the guy ...whose tweet you linked and If it’s accurate . ..what are his biases ...I’m not sure how their could be such a deviation in hospitalizations amongst vaccinated in Israel unless Israel has continuously had a very high percentage of younger and middle age folks vaxxed (and thus they always had a disproportionate amount of vaxxed hospitalized?)  or this guy had bad Info or is just biased against vaccines  ...unless their was a new strain 

I really don’t understand what is going on with Israel. The data from Israel has been beating this drum for weeks now. I’m not sure if they are off the rails/lying or we are. The storylines between the two countries are wildly different. I read this morning that they are a couple months ahead of us in terms of when the bulk of their population was vaccinated and with the variant situation. So they are perhaps a glimpse of the US in October. Who knows? It does appear they are much more willing and able to admit  limitations and issues with the vaccines than we are in this country (where it’s almost illegal at this point).

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I really don’t understand what is going on with Israel. The data from Israel has been beating this drum for weeks now. I’m not sure if they are off the rails/lying or we are. The storylines between the two countries are wildly different. I read this morning that they are a couple months ahead of us in terms of when the bulk of their population was vaccinated and with the variant situation. So they are perhaps a glimpse of the US in October. Who knows?

Is there any other data or country in that area that has links to percent of vaxxed folks in hospitals or with severe Covid . My lean would be no,  but is the Israeli Hospitalization data validated by government health organizations Or just some random dude tweeting . I’m speaking about vaxxed hospitalizations % , bc that’s either disinformation or a game changer 

My guess is you would begin to see the most vulnerable vaxxed folks (elderly /older and or co-morbidities) Begin to see upticks in hospitalization rates in Israel , and that would account for most of their hospitalizations bc I believe 95 Or close % of elderly are vaxxed 

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is there any other data or country in that area that has links to percent of vaxxed folks in hospitals or with severe Covid . My lean would be no,  but is the Israeli Hospitalization data validated by government health organizations Or just some random dude tweeting . I’m speaking about vaxxed hospitalizations % , bc that’s either disinformation or a game changer 

Apparently this guy is the director of the Herzog Hospital in Jerusalem. Presumably he is talking about patients his hospital is seeing, but who knows?

The data on the percent of vaccinated getting sick and dying is very hard to come by, especially in this country. I can almost never find it. All I see are media soundbites from mayors and governors repeating the line that, "the vast, vast majority of of cases are the unvaccinated, so get your jab!" But then data like this comes along that is shockingly different.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Apparently this guy is the director of the Herzog Hospital in Jerusalem. Presumably he is talking about patients his hospital is seeing, but who knows?

Dumb question... but What does 88% effective in preventing severe Covid even mean/ context . What does that compare to if you are not vaccinated .

I mean the populace had have a relatively small percentage (but significant) of severe Covid last year before vaccination So ...I’m having trouble putting context to the 88% figure 

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Dumb question but What does 88% effective in preventing severe Covid even mean . What does that compare to if you are not vaccinated 

Hard to say. Seems like it might be compared to people without any natural immunity. I read a report in NPR yesterday from February that said the long-term vaccine studies from the vaccine makers have been ruined because the control group all went out and got vaccinated. So there is no one tracking a real placebo group anymore. Basically, it's vaccinated versus vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/19/969143015/long-term-studies-of-covid-19-vaccines-hurt-by-placebo-recipients-getting-immuni

My wife and I are both vaccinated with Moderna. Last week my wife was wiped out, like completely exhausted and tired for a day or two. She had like zero energy and described it as feeling just like my 2nd Moderna shot.  A few days later I felt the same thing. A couple friends and family reported the same thing and we are all starting to think it was maybe the delta going around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hard to say. Seems like it might be compared to people without any natural immunity. I read a report in NPR yesterday from February that said the long-term vaccine studies from the vaccine makers have been ruined because the control group all went out and got vaccinated. So there is no one tracking a real placebo group anymore. Basically, it's vaccinated versus vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/19/969143015/long-term-studies-of-covid-19-vaccines-hurt-by-placebo-recipients-getting-immuni

I did see data from Israel ..that showed those that recovered from Covid were most likely to not have a break thru case 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

My wife and I are both vaccinated with Moderna. Last week my wife was wiped out, like completely exhausted and tired for a day or two. She had like zero energy and described it as feeling just like my 2nd Moderna shot.  A few days later I felt the same thing. A couple friends and family reported the same thing and we are all starting to think it was maybe the delta going around. 

Probably was. If delta is as contagious as they say, many people are getting it. Seems no one is tracking breakthrough cases in this country so we will never know.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Probably was. If delta is as contagious as they say, many people are getting it. Seems no one is tracking breakthrough cases in this country so we will never know.

We are in our mid 30's no kids, healthy and go out a lot. We are both convinced it went through our close friends/family. 

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Regardless of vaccine opinions 

I think there is a decent chance many countries are setting up for a mad dash for booster shots by late fall given slow and steadily fading efficacy of vaccines and how this will show up first in most vulnerable ...unless delta burns out first - which I think is the base case  (looking at U.K. and India cases tanking )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Same. I was feeling lethargic earlier in the week. I’m traveling for work tomorrow and all of next week, so I got a test Thursday night. Luckily…negative. 

FWIW…I got two shots of Pfizer. 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That stuff from Israel could be kind of misleading. If most people are vaxxed, it makes sense that the majority of hospitalizations would be vaxxed people.

The more important information is percentage of vaccinated people who are in the hospital

They had about 58% of their population vaccinated, last I checked. 

I agree, it could be 95% of a handful of people.

But it's certainly a different tune than we are hearing from anyone in this country.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They had about 58% of their population vaccinated, last I checked. 

I agree, it could be 95% of a handful of people.

But it's certainly a different tune than we are hearing from anyone in this country.

it seems it’s just going to burn out based on U.K. and India . Probably by early sept you see sharp fall in cases .

Doesn't appear that Delta has moved the needle much on convincing the holdouts to get vaccinated.

https://news.yahoo.com/yougov-poll-vaccines-delta-210424125.html

That tells me that these communities are not seeing widespread death and destruction that would scare them into a change in belief. 

Abstract, out-of-context metrics on Twitter motivated some people, and those people have already been vaccinated long ago.

Many poor people are going to tend to trust their own two eyes and the pulse in their communities over a guy on TV in a lab coat who says he is from the government.