Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

20 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Beautiful :lol:. I'll be over in 30 

My brother and I were fed the typical low class 80s   sardines , hot dogs,  burgers, sloppy Joe's,   macaroni,  captain crunch with whole milk ,  romen noodles,  happy meals, and yes ..super thick gubmit cheese grilled cheese sammiches , koolaid,  caprisun, RC cola ,Tab and the occasional Maryland crabs.Typical dessert.... Push pops, jello, snowballs  ....candy cigarettes :whistle:

Speaking of the much missed government cheese, in my lab at my work there are some items of old science learning aids that are packed in those long gray govt cheese boxes. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

So no Florida, Disney is booked till July. We are going out west, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and San Diego.

We did Vegas. Grand Canyon and Death Valley in August 2018. Flew into Vegas and stayed a couple of nights before driving east. Stopped and did the Skywalk, where I learned about my fear of heights. Then we drive to Williams, AZ and took the train up to the Grand Canyon. That was a great trip. We went from 100°+ to 70° and showers in Williams at 7500’. On the way back we drove down to Sedona. That was a beautiful drive down from the Mogollon Rim. Back to Vegas for a day and then over to Death Valley, which is a totally surreal landscape. I was hoping for 120° but only got 119° on the big thermometer.  This year we are driving out to Mt.Rushmore and Yellowstone. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, your original point stands for sure.  Gourmet is not how it should be described.  But I love the basic diet of like fish, dairy, potatoes/carrots and really good bread. Definitely a sustainable hearty food culture that developed from all the Scandinavian villages where it’s really hard to get from place to place... so you eat what you have because no one is bringing you anything else when isolated by mountains, glaciers, and water.

My cousins over there are built like brick shithouses.  Own a masonry business moving rock all day and then live off fish, potatoes and cheese.

Yeah, it's Viking food for a harsh land, basically. Filling and sustainable during the long winters.

I know everyone is waiting on the edge of their seat for an update on my toe, so here we go. :lol:.

Antibiotics have definitely helped, it’s improved quite a bit. Still very sore and one spot in particular is still pretty tender to touch. I can walk normally now, but if shoes are too tight on the top of the toe, it hurts pretty bad.

Scheduling an appointment with a podiatrist to take a look at it, because no doubt it’s coming back when the nail gets long enough.

I also figured the antibiotics would be a quick fix and I’d be back to 100% shortly, not the case though 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Beautiful :lol:. I'll be over in 30 

My brother and I were fed the typical low class 80s   sardines , hot dogs,  burgers, sloppy Joe's,   macaroni,  captain crunch with whole milk ,  romen noodles,  happy meals, and yes ..super thick gubmit cheese grilled cheese sammiches , koolaid,  caprisun, RC cola ,Tab and the occasional Maryland crabs.Typical dessert.... Push pops, jello, snowballs  ....candy cigarettes :whistle:

I remember the quick, at home, school lunch chicken pot pies in the 50’s. A cardboard box containing a small aluminum pie plate. I don’t recall the brand name but I’d do recall counting two peas and one small cube, of what may have been chicken, surrounded by thick filler gunk. The early TV dinners were also an adventure, as I recall. As always ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

China throwing all sorts of FUD into the market because the digital Yuan has been a failure and they don't want it being over run by Bitcoin, Litecoin etc.

The market was due for a correction but the bull run will start back up. 

I bought $200 worth of bitcoin and $30 worth of random cheap coins. First time ever investing into crypto. I should of listened to my ex boss 5 years ago but didnt. We made fun of him instead. Hes the one laughing now

9 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I know everyone is waiting on the edge of their seat for an update on my toe, so here we go. :lol:.

Antibiotics have definitely helped, it’s improved quite a bit. Still very sore and one spot in particular is still pretty tender to touch. I can walk normally now, but if shoes are too tight on the top of the toe, it hurts pretty bad.

Scheduling an appointment with a podiatrist to take a look at it, because no doubt it’s coming back when the nail gets long enough.

I also figured the antibiotics would be a quick fix and I’d be back to 100% shortly, not the case though 

Bite the bullet and get it fixed. They’ll numb it with some lidocaine and you won’t feel a thing. You don’t want a lingering infection in your feet. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. I didn’t know about the lack of forests until we started researching this trip.  The upside for me is I studied geology for my undergraduate so even without the active volcano it is a geologists dream.  

Part of the Golden Circle tour lets one see where the European and North American plates  meet.  Not allowed to stand with one foot in each continent, however - the plates are moving apart at about one cm/year and tour hosts don't want anyone getting hurt because of the motion.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Part of the Golden Circle tour lets one see where the European and North American plates  meet.  Not allowed to stand with one foot in each continent, however - the plates are moving apart at about one cm/year and tour hosts don't want anyone getting hurt because of the motion.

There isn’t really a single spot where a person is truly on or touching both plates at a time. The nature of the ridge spread is more of a congealed mess than a true “this rock is N America, this rock is Europe. “ Pretty cool still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Bite the bullet and get it fixed. They’ll numb it with some lidocaine and you won’t feel a thing. You don’t want a lingering infection in your feet. 

Back in my college years I did a summer gig helping a guy build big houses (several patriot players included). Once we had to move an oak staircase and I dropped it in my toe. Messed up the nail and it later became ingrown. 
the podiatrist fixed it the way you mentioned but even today 30 years plus later it is still an issue

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There isn’t really a single spot where a person is truly on or touching both plates at a time. The nature of the ridge spread is more of a congealed mess than a true “this rock is N America, this rock is Europe. “ Pretty cool still. 

A word of caution... if you accidently slip and fall into that crack between the two plates, you won't stop until you reach the molten core of the planet. It's scary.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Back in my college years I did a summer gig helping a guy build big houses (several patriot players included). Once we had to move an oak staircase and I dropped it in my toe. Messed up the nail and it later became ingrown. 
the podiatrist fixed it the way you mentioned but even today 30 years plus later it is still an issue

That's what I did to mine, dropped a big piece of oak on it, still isnt right after 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think the place being pointed out as the boundary is where the expansion can be measured.

• Like 1

Going forward be proactive with the toe... as soon as you notice it getting painful or red, give it a soak with water as hot as you can stand and epsom salts.  If it's really bad get some bentonite clay, add a few drops of ... (take your pick)... make a poultice around the infected area and wrap overnight with gauze to hold it in as best as possible. 

I've dealt with it many times, which I attribute to nail bed damage from skiing and a few unrelated accidents.  But as long as you catch it early the above really works I promise.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

A word of caution... if you accidently slip and fall into that crack between the two plates, you won't stop until you reach the molten core of the planet. It's scary.

Darn it. Angus; even at my age your word of caution got me excited. As always ....

Are you guys diabetic ...  wow -

I guess dropping an oak stairwell on one's toe is a special sort of bad day ... but there is an alarming number of people just in here - 'nough to wonder if there's some genetic weather enthusiasm connective gene for black toe

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I guess dropping an oak stairwell on one's toe is a special sort of bad day ... but there is an alarming number of people just in here - 'nough to wonder if there's some genetic weather enthusiasm connective gene for black toe

Got my black toe - actually both big toes - in Feb 1976 but the cause was quite obvious.  Mt first winter as a forester in N. Maine and our boundary maintenance crew stayed overnight at a logging camp about 50 yards from Maine's northernmost tip and the pot burner went out during the night - inside temp 20s the next morning and my (only) bootliners were frozen.  Long cold drive and 45 minutes mucking with a flooded snowsled engine at -10 (about average for that time and place) and the deed was done, though I didn't realize it until taking the boots off that evening at home.  Also wasn't concerned that I couldn't feel my feet - 10 minutes of breaking trail on snowshoes in deep powder and I knew I'd be stuffing gloves into pockets as hands began to sweat.  That was on a Thursday and by the following midweek the skin on the big toes turned black and then began to peel - 1/8" thick - revealing nice pink skin beneath.  Hindsight says that thawing from within was probably the best way to treat 2nd degree frostbite.   For the next 10-12 years those toes would become cold quickly and I had to be extra careful.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Got my black toe - actually both big toes - in Feb 1976 but the cause was quite obvious.  Mt first winter as a forester in N. Maine and our boundary maintenance crew stayed overnight at a logging camp about 50 yards from Maine's northernmost tip and the pot burner went out during the night - inside temp 20s the next morning and my (only) bootliners were frozen.  Long cold drive and 45 minutes mucking with a flooded snowsled engine at -10 (about average for that time and place) and the deed was done, though I didn't realize it until taking the boots off that evening at home.  Also wasn't concerned that I couldn't feel my feet - 10 minutes of breaking trail on snowshoes in deep powder and I knew I'd be stuffing gloves into pockets as hands began to sweat.  That was on a Thursday and by the following midweek the skin on the big toes turned black and then began to peel - 1/8" thick - revealing nice pink skin beneath.  Hindsight says that thawing from within was probably the best way to treat 2nd degree frostbite.   For the next 10-12 years those toes would become cold quickly and I had to be extra careful.

Ho man ...helluva story.

Yeah I've been alive long enough and heard this anecdotally that you cross over an awareness-numbness threshold when it comes of frost bite - if you're enduring the discomfort then it gets strangely less painful ...that's bad.  

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No just clumsy, I didn't drop a heavy piece of oak on my toe once but twice, the first time it got infected and I got it yanked off and a new nail grew, the second time it got a fungus and turned into a mess, still dealing with it.

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I laugh at the know it all’s who think Scandinavian food looks and tastes like their watching Game Of Thrones. This isn’t the 1400s, even the ‘Vikings’ have advanced their culinary. 

My wife liked the food, she got traditional basic dishes like fish and meat but no whale blubber or Puffin.

• Like 3