Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nope.  This seemed much more local. We all felt it here and our dog went bonkers. People in town on FB were posting about it but no one seems to know what it was.  The other stuff was over a much wider area. 

About a week ago folks around here were talking about a big quaking blast or sonic boom but I never heard or felt it.

• Like 1

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Something from Hanscom or Westover?  

We get groups of 2-3 cargo planes over here pretty routinely from Westover.  They just rumble.  This was a boom/thud that was very quick and isolated.  I seriously thought one of my kids tipped over some furniture upstairs    Not a sonic boom like I’ve heard before (not here).  Weird. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We get groups of 2-3 cargo planes over here pretty routinely from Westover.  They just rumble.  This was a boom/thud that was very quick and isolated.  I seriously thought one of my kids tipped over some furniture upstairs    Not a sonic boom like I’ve heard before (not here).  Weird. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cdabc2e45f12e896b9ba1aeac8e7302a.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We get the big C-5 Cargo planes constatntly and occasional F-16's over Greenfield and no booms, just some normal jet noises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I haven’t heard any of these booms,  but I wonder if it could be sonic booms from air craft or can space debris upon entering the atmosphere  have any effect? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UMB WX said:

He thinks he's one of the 1%.  FFS does it take some folks 10+ yrs to figure him out.  This is where we are. Scary.

You don’t even live anywhere near New England, yet you come by every night just to tag posts going back several pages. Get a hobby or something dude. LOL I’m sure the food truck fryer could use another scrubbing. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I saw a family member this evening I haven't seen in 12+ months. She was masked-up and kept her distance, but she really wanted to see my kids and wish them a happy Easter, etc so she asked to meet outside at a relative's house.

She was asking about all of the traveling we have been doing between NH, MD, and DE (including many flights) over the past 12 months, and now we are also adding FL into the mix. She asked me point blank, "Aren't you scared to catch COVID? How are you doing this?" 

I was kinda taken aback by it. She is double, perhaps triple masked while asking this and like 10 feet away. This is a relative I have known my whole life. It was just a surreal experience. It really drove home for me how differently I am living right now compared to other people. There really are people out there who will not travel until the CDC/Fauci say they can. I find that just crazy.

I just said, "I am not scared of COVID." I couldn't think of what else to say. She seemed really concerned about this. We also talked about the vaccines, and my answers there were not compelling to her. I doubt I will be seeing her again soon.

It's going to take a long time for society to heal from this.

More people like this than you think. I know a few. Very reasonable people. Or at least I thought. The PTSD from this is going to last years. For some people, it will last the rest of their life. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yea, that was a top notch ending. You don’t see something like that very often. Plus I hate the PAC 10/12 so that was just icing on the cake. 

I thought Gonzaga had blown it with the missed 3 before UCLA came down an tied it up. I figured that would give UCLA momentum going into a second OT. I have Gonzaga winning it all but I’m too far back in both pools I’m in for it to matter. 

3 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

More people like this than you think. I know a few. Very reasonable people. Or at least I thought. The PTSD from this is going to last years. For some people, it will last the rest of their life. 

You didn't ask me ...and I am aware, sometimes I come off as 'philosophically heavy handed' and perhaps even a tad hard to follow for how I choose to deliver lines of dialect ... ( ha, like that right there <--)

But, I think a lot of the PTSD you describe is really more like a 'rattling of design'

What I mean by that is..we have been, for multiple, multiple generations at this point, conditioned ( becomes culturally institutional in nature ) to see our reality as assumptions - this is a bit different than "entitlement" - but shares kinship with that definition to some degree.  It's simply that we have been born and socialized into an interesting relativity of realism ( if you will...); basically, we don't realize how much of our daily existence is convenience - we've long been too far separated from any circumstance to remind, and culture has sans any necessity to do so.

I remember musing in the early days of this thing ... just how relative it all is, by posing a circumstance to elucidate the point .  Consider the average civilian from the year 1721 -  picture that man or woman, waking, drinking, eating, raising kids, doing what it takes, ... living in that mise se science of various travails and ambient threats to their well-being, and then ... compare that to the canned ravioli, immunized, iPhone addicted ...overly stimulate walking belief of orgasms on tap asshole that knows no other sense of reality ...because they were born in raised, drowned in convenience their whole way?

To this latter bloke,   what they have gone through rattles there reality to the core;  to the man or woman from 1721 ... ?  This is/was as common to their notions of what life and times 'should be' as drinking from the well.

I just find the juxtaposition interesting - ...the generational cultural relativism' of it.  Upon reflecting in that ...after awhile, one may start to sense how that PTSD aspect is really no more than shattering one's illusions that were provided withing the fragility of an Industrial bubble ...that most are not even aware exists in the first place by virtue of the fact that they simply have known no other reality. And whether we are aware of it or not ...?  All this biologically un-evolutionarily sound mask wearing, and social distancing stuff...it's all a conceit of control within that bubble - we are, whether we are aware or not, scrambling to patch the holes in the bubble.

• Thanks 1

I'll be cycling and watch people take their mask and cover up when I go by 30' away from them

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I'll be cycling and watch people take their mask and cover up when I go by 30' away from thememoji849.png

Very likely could just be overly courteous too. I will do it when walking the dog and passing people, not for any fear whatsoever but just out of respect.  I feel like I see it a lot when wandering around with the dog... both parties don't care or have any fear but each person is like "oh yeah, I was just doing it out of respect.  You ok with no mask?  Yeah me too, cool."

• Like 2