• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

Funny... the Euro stalls the 2-m temp 55-59 across the area on Sunday and ...  that just does not fit a-priori or existential awareness of what that does at this time of year.

It should be mid 60s minimum - and 70 would be nicked over back patios and driveways.  

I'm willing to nod to lack of mixing being close to the centroid region of the high pressure bubble... and that might not realize the BL being that tall, but even the 925 mb adiabat is 64.. 65 at HFD that afternoon.

I think it stops adiabat at 900 mb or something and doesn't render it to the 'real' surface? but then why would that call that the '2-m' ?  I dunno -

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It always occurs to me ... Dec 21st ithe shortest day of the year.. that's all that is.  It happens to be the solstice.  Maybe the meaning of winter is misnomer'ed over the course of history. But as a climate distinction, it lapses that date enough in either direction depending on the given year's vagaries of the patterns ... There's nothing really magical other than to say, 'shortest day of the year' - doesn't mean much else.

Calendars?  Human invention.  

Here is some 64 years of human invention, my climate is as follows:

Winter usually kicks in Dec 10th or so usually until March 17th or so. Spring is sprung until June 15th or so, then summer weather until September 15th or so. Fall runs until winter begins. Thats my constructed climate. What my mind wants, what the sun feels like does not change what Mother nature brings. Can we have a couple of non seasonal days at anytime, for sure, but averaging it out through my life thats what it is. Would I like to mentally change things, sure, but as the saying goes you can't fool mother nature. 

Dr Dews is on some serious good drugs.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It always occurs to me ... Dec 21st ithe shortest day of the year.. that's all that is.  It happens to be the solstice.  Maybe the meaning of winter is misnomer'ed over the course of history. But as a climate distinction, it lapses that date enough in either direction depending on the given year's vagaries of the patterns ... There's nothing really magical other than to say, 'shortest day of the year' - doesn't mean much else.

Calendars?  Human invention.  

Good evening Tip. I always thought it was less about season and more about Sol. The end of the encroaching dark and the beginning of the increasing light. As always ....

27 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Tip. I always thought it was less about season and more about Sol. The end of the encroaching dark and the beginning of the increasing light. As always ....

:)

...A time like this in this particular social-media mise-en-science ... is like attempting to moderated a cat fight dressed in dog costume.

Particularly in a sensy motif brought about by a last season mercy snow event that busted - it was like not an exit hurrah at all.  It was like the scene in "Airplane,"  ...where Leslie Neilson's character was trying to cinema-trope slap the hysterical female passenger into calming down, and when asked to step away ... he hesitates, and steps back in to get that one extra slap in -

Love that ... hi   - larious    ... continuing the metaphor, as Leslie fades out the camera then pans down a line of people waiting to take turns on her, boxing gloves, ...  baseball bat, even a crescent wrench, samurai sword and guns - that's summer for many.

But, this winter is Leslie Neilson, and the hysterics of winter ending with this way is the extra slap being received.  LOL

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

May 8th summer! funniest thing I read today 

Last year was by far the largest whiplash on record... snowed here May 9th and then May 11th to the valley floors, then a week later a bunch of NNE sites set their hottest May temp on record (some even set their hottest temp period).

Snow to 90-95F in like a week.  And it stayed like an absolute torch up in NNE in June too.

skied Cannon essentially top to bottom the morning of May 20, if I recall correctly that was the beginning of the real warm up. Snow was gone from the lower slopes within days. What was funny was how long snow held on in Tuckerman Ravine last summer even with that June heat.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I understand what @Typhoon Tip is saying though.  My winter mindset is really Nov 15 to February 15 and summer from May 15 to Aug 15 and then I'm emotionally transitioning to the next season no matter what the models are spitting out.  Yes it snows in March and yes there are September beach days but I'm already shifting gears mentally knowing the end is near.

That’s a good explanation. By this time, I’m getting antsy for golf. I’ll do winter stuff as long as conditions permit but I start mentally turning the page about March 15th or so. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Here is some 64 years of human invention, my climate is as follows:

Winter usually kicks in Dec 10th or so usually until March 17th or so. Spring is sprung until June 15th or so, then summer weather until September 15th or so. Fall runs until winter begins. Thats my constructed climate. What my mind wants, what the sun feels like does not change what Mother nature brings. Can we have a couple of non seasonal days at anytime, for sure, but averaging it out through my life thats what it is. Would I like to mentally change things, sure, but as the saying goes you can't fool mother nature. 

Dr Dews is on some serious good drugs.

You are not a summer enthusiast, though. it is not far away to me. Apr 25th the latest usually

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I consider Mid May the start of summer.. swimming , warmth etc 

That's fine.  Most years we've already at least flirted with 90F by then and had at least one torch stretch. That combined with the August sun angle, I like late April to start the festivities and celebration...but it's all good

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Some years it can be that late, but that’s abnormal . In May , if the sun is out, it’s generally warm 

When I lived there, more times than not that weekend was the first time I cut the lawn so start of summer in my mind

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

GFS says a big cutter is coming. Been saying that for a few runs now.

It actually looks like a locked pattern with multiples going that way. 

It may not be people’s interest area around here but I’m wondering what that might mean for our convection season as we get closer to May. I think the south east ridge is going to make a presence more often than not this  spring is where I’m going with that -

I’m inclined to watch around April 1 for a cut off, too. Bowler