• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah I'd be real curious to understand what happened. It wasn't as if just one model was off...and pre storm...as @OSUmetstud mentioned, one could make a case that this thing would have been shredded or even pushed SE.  Yet, the exact  opposite happened. Wondering if the initialization / input data was off somehow. Seems unlikely though.

For as long as I can remember, models underestimate the warmth thrown northward (at many levels) when systems are west of the apps....and it happens alot, but this was extreme!

• Like 2

Just now, LakeEffectKing said:

For as long as I can remember, models underestimate the warmth thrown northward (at many levels) when systems are west of the apps....and it happens alot, but this was extreme!

Was maybe the issue that the slp track was wrong?  IIRC, most models had the slp on the east side of the Apps...and this clearly isn't the case.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Was maybe the issue that the slp track was wrong?  IIRC, most models had the slp on the east side of the Apps...and this clearly isn't the case.

Well, the issue (post mortem) was 2 fold.  I think it is just difficult for the models to handle slp placement when upper levels support an slp on top of the mountains...then/if models do resolve the correct lp placement (in this case to the west) they seem to way underdo the warm air advection.  All IMO, of course.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

So much for the early to bed early to rise idea.  Can’t sleep at all right now with the window pings... 

Dude what a joke. Like I seriously feel like I’m just dreaming right now. Every single model had 10” + here minimum. Looks like 2 inches eyeballing it and straight sleet. Easily the worst bust of the season. Models are absolutely horrible. LEK is right, it is humbling to think your locked and loaded just hours before the event or as it unfolds and to be totally and completely wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Dude what a joke. Like I seriously feel like I’m just dreaming right now. Every single model had 10” + here minimum. Looks like 2 inches eyeballing it and straight sleet. Easily the worst bust of the season. Models are absolutely horrible. LEK is right, it is humbling to think your locked and loaded just hours before the event or as it unfolds and to be totally and completely wrong. 

Wow. Bust potential def seemed within the realm of possibility for CNY over the past 24-36 hours, but you are right, WNY seemed like a lock for atleast 8+. Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

We’re now into the massive dry a lot here. We could be pretty much done with precip for the event here as the storm moves off to the NE and all the precip stays to our NW. Top 3 bust all time for me. Unbelievably horrible storm here. 

Schools should never have closed. The streets will be down to bare pavement by 5 am lmfao! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

We’re now into the massive dry a lot here. We could be pretty much done with precip for the event here as the storm moves off to the NE and all the precip stays to our NW. Top 3 bust all time for me. Unbelievably horrible storm here. 

Schools should never have closed. The streets will be down to bare pavement by 5 am lmfao! 

lol I knew those kuchera maps were good to be true every other storm weenies fall for that shit haha:sun:

Well- is the ICON the preferred model of choice now?  I am shocked to hear the totals and the current conditions.  Lake effect will save us this week IMO because I am throwing out all models.  Will start doing my own weather charting and going to enlist the Native American’s in Onondaga to teach me how they predicted weather for the past 100’s of years.  If the pull out the Farmers Almanac, I am literally going to start crying.

• Haha 4

Wow. Dogs woke me up (not the kids for once) at 5. It didn’t take 10 seconds to see we busted. I didn’t hear the pingers but judging the sugary texture of the “snow” I can see it made it this far north as well...so the next system for Thursday night-Friday is modeled along the east coast...look out Toronto!!! This is your storm...

Just eyeballing out the 2nd story I’d be surprised we have 5 inches. Absolute joke of a storm. Everything that could go wrong did. Atrocious flake size from the get go, then sleet for the entire night, along with multiple dry patches moving through cutting off precip completely for an hour or more at a time. Precip is already done for the storm too. Just an absolute BUST of a storm. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Just eyeballing out the 2nd story I’d be surprised we have 5 inches. Absolute joke of a storm. Everything that could go wrong did. Atrocious flake size from the get go, then sleet for the entire night, along with multiple dry patches moving through cutting off precip completely for an hour or more at a time. Precip is already done for the storm too. Just an absolute BUST of a storm. 

Yeah I measured 6.1” of just sugar snow...what could’ve been...