• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

20 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not true here. Kuchie still had 13-15” here off of .8-1.0” LE. I had .92” LE and only 6.6” of snow. Less than half of the Kuchie totals...

If you do look back at the Euro ensembles yesterday they did have a high LE and low totals. I brought this up and it was stated it’s the 50 or so separate runs smoothed out, however maybe it was on to something...

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Can't wait to forget ? 

Having these busts are normal where I live on the coast.  I have seen sleet with every storm so far this season.

I'm up to 32 inches for the year ( average 27)

Sleet isn't the end of the world for all of you since you average 80+.

I understand you live in a snow pit, but why do you continue to come on here and guilt us all for "living in a place that averages over 80 to 100 inches a winter"? I know since you don't live in a lake effect area, it's tough to understand the crapfest we've been dealing with in Upstate New York the past couple winters. Compared to AVERAGE, it's been awful. When you live somewhere where more consistent winter is sort of expected or the norm...you expect a more solid winter than you would living in NYC. Many of us living in this zone are on here because we are passionate about BIG snows and yes, some choose their area in hopes of great winters (muah included in that). It's also a bit discomforting to think that our climate over here may be shifting towards a more coast-like one, with these mixed-bag events and just mild air in general.

• Like 3

A disappointment here in Ontario as well considering the hype and modelling.   Flake size was small, snow started late and ended early.  Fortunately we missed the sleet this far NW.  Best action of this event has been this morning after the SLP was gone.  L. Huron delivering with some N and NW winds.  Good flake size and some blowing.  Maybe some of you can cash in on these winds from L. Ontario later on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I understand you live in a snow pit, but why do you continue to come on here and guilt us all for "living in a place that averages over 80 to 100 inches a winter"? I know since you don't live in a lake effect area, it's tough to understand the crapfest we've been dealing with in Upstate New York the past couple winters. Compared to AVERAGE, it's been awful. When you live somewhere where more consistent winter is sort of expected or the norm...you expect a more solid winter than you would living in NYC. Many of us living in this zone are on here because we are passionate about BIG snows and yes, some choose their area in hopes of great winters (muah included in that). It's also a bit discomforting to think that our climate over here may be shifting towards a more coast-like one, with these mixed-bag events and just mild air in general.

Fair enough

:hurrbear:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I do have to say there is quite a bit of snow on the ground right now and this is the best I’ve witnessed in some time, especially for how long this stretch has lasted. I measured 13.5” OTG and we still might add to that Thursday into Friday 

I can't wait to see your snow depth reach 13.6 inches by Friday night.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Just trying to cheer up freak, granted the HRRR sucks ass..

snku_acc.us_ne - 2021-02-16T084308.116.png

That might "cheer Freak up" but for some of us.................................... :lol:

45 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

That had nothing to do with it lol

All those weenie maps were when the storm was cold lol

Once the models started pushing the warmth north Kuchera was less than 10-1 at times..

The track changes Kuchera changes lol

Not to mention we didn't get the amount of precip most guidance had..

41 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

My final ratio was 5.9:1.  I never saw any Cucaracha maps with ratios that low.  

Yeah, I mentioned this when I noticed the Kuchera actually showing less snow than the 10:1.

• Like 1

For those still somehow still greedy folks in CNY, or desperate, pathetic, weenies (like me), here's a GooFuS sounding for Sat a.m.  I am not an expert on LES parameters (or anything really) but I notice the sounding for this point in time has WNW/NW direction, low shear thru the lower levels and an inversion up to about 800mb level, which isn't that impressive...but we could get some fake snow out of this near SYR area.

20210216_092800.jpg

24 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You keep this talk up and we might just keep you...it’s a long shot but there’s a chance...

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

A day or so before the storm, one of our forum regulars, @CNY-LES FREAK posted a model sounding, i forget which one, and it showed a mismatch between Omega and the DGZ...which gave me pause but even then it wasn't showing the warmth up above at all. But...it was accurate in that dendrite size/type was more "needly" and sub-optimal. Which made me think the Cucaracha's were going to bust.

Right.

I usually like to use the Cobb 11 technique on bufkit. It takes into account rh t and omega. It generally had like 12 or 13:1 for BUF which was wrong too. I imagine what happened is that the models misplaced the omega a little too high above the warm nose. If the omega verified closer to the warm nose that 12:1 turns into 8:1 quite easily. 

• Like 6