Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 18-19 long duration manageable snow and ice event

wdrag

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs is once again less amplified and trending towards the Euro and CMC 

Yup. The primary doesn't survive into WNY and Lake Ontario. But it also means it continues to cut back on the overrunning precipitation. End result is about the same or less snow and less rain.

7 minutes ago, Brett said:

Where are you seeing it out to Thursday already? The piviotal site only has it to Tuesday right now

I watched the color loop on this site. It always comes out early on this site. You just hit animate and you can watch the color loop. First 48 hours it's the RGEM, and then it switches over to GGEM. You just hit animate. It's a nice tool. It's just like watching the futurecast that you see on TV, only it's the Canadian models instead...

https://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

28 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

12Z Canadian SECS or Borderline MECS in south jersey - still a long way to go IMO....work in progress situation

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

I have seen this before, first burst comes in then looses steam and next burst is less and quick to sleet. I believe there was a good example which cause Philly to get 8 during a football game and we ended up with 1 to 3.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s why the NAM is so good when it gets within its best range. It correctly showed the changeover to sleet on Dec 17th when the globals were too cold between 700 and 800 mb and just had snow. It does really well with low level cold air and WAA in the 800-700 mb layers. That why I hope they have a suitable replacement for the NAM when it’s scheduled to be retired in a few years. Otherwise, short term forecasts of correct P-Type will really suffer.  

Yup.  Will be key to hone in late tomorrow and Wednesday as it gets closer.  

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s why the NAM is so good when it gets within its best range. It correctly showed the changeover to sleet on Dec 17th when the globals were too cold between 700 and 800 mb and just had snow. It does really well with low level cold air and WAA in the 800-700 mb layers. That why I hope they have a suitable replacement for the NAM when it’s scheduled to be retired in a few years. Otherwise, short term forecasts of correct P-Type will really suffer.  

To be fair the Nam was to quick to change to sleet in Philadelphia last December. The city ended with 6 while the Nam only had 1-2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

12Z Canadian SECS or Borderline MECS in south jersey - still a long way to go IMO....work in progress situation

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

It's all about where the heaviest snow bands set up. Guidance has been shifting south for several cycles now. Regardless, sleet is coming unless everything continues to shift further south. The primary low still gets to WPA. That almost guarantees significant mid-level warming. North of the MA border now looks like mostly snow on some guidance.

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

I have seen this before, first burst comes in then looses steam and next burst is less and quick to sleet. I believe there was a good example which cause Philly to get 8 during a football game and we ended up with 1 to 3.

It’s always a question of how the snow comes in-like a wall or shredded. If shredded the warm air advances more quickly and flips it over to sleet. That was our problem in the December storm. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Not alot of rain 

Yeah the big takeaway from recent trends is that we are moving away from the big washout finale scenario. Hopefully we can minimize or even eliminate the change to rain. I'm still skeptical of warning level snows. I think most everyone starts with several hours of snow on Thursday. How heavy it gets will probably be a nowcast. But I still expect sleet to arrive quickly. Hopefully this ends as a mix to dryslot and not rain.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The GEFS continue to be wetter and warmer than the op, particularly after the initial changeover. Although they have been decreasing QPF and getting colder for several cycles.

Just hoping for one more 5-6" event to put us over 40" and wrap this winter up. 

Things are looking more spring-like post 2/20-21.