Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

MAG5035

10 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Man those TT maps that combine all the frozen/freezing precip make me cringe haha. I bet those folks in eastern KY wish they were actually getting 16" of snow. 

lol 

yeah, any that do this w/ regularity should know that one should not trust NAM'ins that look great on screen.  I use/show for frozen potential and consensus for qpf distribution and whos getting sumthin and who isnt.  Looks like overnights continued to tick north and lower 1/3 of state is in the game.  Works for me as i never expected much for rd1 but now have to put more weight on it as rd2 is S of MD special. 

I'm just gonna dig multiple events comin at us in the next 7-10 days.  

Edit, and now that i've caught up in full...looks like my mind is in the right place after reading your assessments.  Enjoy the show.  Your in a great spot to do so.  

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z GFS, RGEM & NAM each are juicing up the snow chance for the southern half of PA tonight through Friday afternoon.

7647ECC5-6466-48C3-A95E-83C2549BE223.png

Look at that damn snow hole in lanco again.  Its like Voyager shoved his snow dome  due S 60 miles over my casa.  WTF!!  Problem i have w/ it is that the last storm modeled a hole over my house....and the damn thing verified.  UUGGGGHHHHHHH.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Speaking about ice storms, I think I remember the 2000-2010 era full of some pretty major ice storms. When’s the last time the LSV had an epic one with major power outages and multiple days of mass closures?

i wouldn't say epic, but the valentines Snow/sleet/ice was interesting for sure

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Here is the HRRR extended 6z run through Thursday night,

E53B6323-266F-4248-A9B6-B171398CA9D8.png

I wanna believe, but feel this is overdone.  As you know we often juice up only to dry out a bit once we approach go time.  That said, it brings many of us back into something which is a win in my book.  Laurels and S Central look to be prime spots for the next week.

28 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Look at that damn snow hole in lanco again.  Its like Voyager shoved his snow dome  due S 60 miles over my casa.  WTF!!  Problem i have w/ it is that the last storm modeled a hole over my house....and the damn thing verified.  UUGGGGHHHHHHH.

I think that snow hole is a result of downsloping from Blue Mountain just to our north and west, and then the upslope of the far eastern Lanco/western Chesco high hills just to our east. 

It's very annoying. 

Just now, Jns2183 said:

How long did that glacier take to melt?

Mid to late March as I recall - it wasn't the magnitude of the winter of '94, which I had snow cover for 77 consecutive days. (that's not a typo) 

I hate sleet when it's falling but I appreciate it so much days later when I'm looking at a white instead of green landscape. 

Mid to late March as I recall - it wasn't the magnitude of the winter of '94, which I had snow cover for 77 consecutive days. (that's not a typo) 
I hate sleet when it's falling but I appreciate it so much days later when I'm looking at a white instead of green landscape. 

I think it was the winter of 1963-1964 that harrisburg had 1” or more of snow on the ground from December 9th till April 5th. They had 12” or more for over a month with like 2weeks of 18”+

• Like 1

Every week from December through March had at least 4” of new snow

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think that snow hole is a result of downsloping from Blue Mountain just to our north and west, and then the upslope of the far eastern Lanco/western Chesco high hills just to our east. 

It's very annoying. 

agreed.  We've both seen it enough.  Based on geography alone, we really struggle in Lanco for any W or NW to E oriented events really are tough down here SE of the mtns. 

Could it have been the winter of 1960-1961?

It actually very well might have been both. The 1960s was such a ridiculous decade for snow here. Nothing in the previous 100 years before ever gave any indication that a decade like that was even possible. I think by 1971 that decade had 6 or 7 of the top 10 winters in terms of snowfall. I pity the child who grew up in the 1960s and has that decade as a baseline memory of how winters should be. If he’s a snow weenie the last 50 years probably turned him in a nihilist

17 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Yep, can take awhile to scour out that dry air, especially if you don’t have good rates.

You nailed it.  

S and SW events seem to be a little easier for that to happen.  Thats one of the reasons I like A's over B's as that variable is negated greatly down here in the LSV.

theres nothing worse than looking at a big blue blob headed our way from the W and Mag, then Bubbles, then Cashtown all are covered in puffy parachutes.....only to watch it go POOF as it gets to Anotherman, and then were left w/ enough flakes to count w/o taking shoes off.

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

i wouldn't say epic, but the valentines Snow/sleet/ice was interesting for sure

In 2007? That was our first real winter event - I had no idea what to do and really - really - screwed up and shoveled snow as it started to sleet. That formed a 5 or 6" iceblock in our alley that we got stuck in trying to back into the garage. Had to get two neighbors to help us get back in - that's when I learned cat litter makes for good traction! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

I didn't push it down there. Now that I'm working again, I want to keep it right here. Nontheless, for quite a few years it did seem like the models wanted to "cheat" the coal region out of snow, and sometimes they were right...lol

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

I didn't push it down there. Now that I'm working again, I want to keep it right here. Nontheless, for quite a few years it did seem like the models wanted to "cheat" the coal region out of snow, and sometimes they were right...lol

PLEASSE take it back.  

Superstorm/Festus/and a few others along w/ me would be glad to get rid of it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, daxx said:

This is what a lot of us have been looking for. Some big events mixed in with smaller ones. Day ten with 100% snow cover here.  Enjoy!

yup yup....

never expected all of em to hit, but even half as modeled is quite a decent run considering where we thought we'd be headed 6-8 weeks ago.  

Its a big win for many of us.  

• Like 1