• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    GRMNSnowDay
    Newest Member
    GRMNSnowDay
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

7 minutes ago, daxx said:

This is what a lot of us have been looking for. Some big events mixed in with smaller ones. Day ten with 100% snow cover here.  Enjoy!

I miss 2-4" storms, honestly. I remember 2011 every Wednesday for seemingly two straight months we had a clipper or wave overnight that dropped around 3" snow. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What’s amazing is when you start talking to people who love to rant on and on about how winters were back when they were kids. A large percentage of them were young kids back in the 60s

I was born in 1965 - so I basically grew up in the 70s. Parents would often tell me during my childhood as a snow lover how much things changed shortly after I was born. 

The 70s were not kind - I watched with despair as the Virginas and Carolinas kept getting smoked while I was looking south through filtered sun. 

I was born in 1965 - so I basically grew up in the 70s. Parents would often tell me during my childhood as a snow lover how much things changed shortly after I was born. 
The 70s were not kind - I watched with despair as the Virginas and Carolinas kept getting smoked while I was looking south through filtered sun. 

The 1960s were like if you were a kid in Boston when they got there 120”

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have an average of 6" in protected areas that don't get much or any sun. Most of my backyard is fully exposed and it's nothing but a few small areas. 

wow.  I had snowmobile out last night through yard and into fields and had plenty of snow (but yeah a few spots around pine trees were bare as always. )

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So what you're saying is we can blame any snow failures on you?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mahantango#1 said:

Back in the early 80s a storm started as snow we might have got a half inch of snow. It turned to sleet, and it was supposed to turn to rain, but never did. We ended up with over 6 inches of sleet. Not fun to shovel.

Interesting. I wonder if I changed to rain being further south? The only memorable weather event for me between 1979 and 1993 was the 2/12/1983 blizzard. We had a nice snowstorm in 1987 but it was a heavy snow with no wind that melted in 2 days. 1983...I had 5" of snow between 4pm and 5pm at the height of the storm with multiple lightning flashes and loud thunder. It was a fairly progressive storm that I still got 24.5" from. Man, if we only would have had a block...

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

By default, sure. I've been in Lanco for 56 years, so I've seen enough to blame me for anything. :) 

Can we then also blame you for Route 30 being the 2nd ugliest stretch of highway in PA? That Breezewood monstrosity is slightly worse, but only slightly ... 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting. I wonder if I changed to rain being further south? The only memorable weather event for me between 1979 and 1993 was the 2/12/1983 blizzard. We had a nice snowstorm in 1987 but it was a heavy snow with no wind that melted in 2 days. 1983...I had 5" of snow between 4pm and 5pm at the height of the storm with multiple lightning flashes and loud thunder. It was a fairly progressive storm that I still got 24.5" from. Man, if we only would have had a block...

Yes down around Harrisburg it changed over. I think that was the northern extend of it.

29 minutes ago, daxx said:

Are being serious?  I still have 3 to 4” snowpack.  I have one bare  spot around pine tree.

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have an average of 6" in protected areas that don't get much or any sun. Most of my backyard is fully exposed and it's nothing but a few small areas. 

And I just went out and measured 14" in the backyard still. Would have been 10", but yesterday...

• Like 3

and a reminder, snow maps are shown for consensus, not back yard forecasts.  Just pay attention to N and S precip adjustments to see where things are trending.

I could easily do the same thing w/ precip panels, but we see green a plenty throughout the year, so I'm merely taking advantage of the change of colors :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GrandmasterB said:

Another banger on the CMC.  This is going well!  Will be interesting to see what the NWS does today.

Looking further down the pike, I really wish next weeks midweek system had a nice HP up in quebec...that would really top off a great run...instead of washing a bunch of it away before we freeze.