Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 2 Storm

stormtracker

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Let’s be honest, per TT’s snow depth change it is a 2” storm on the front side with some wackiness on the back to pump it up.  

I dunno what the TT depth uses but about .4-.55 qpf falls before there is mixing across the general area low to high from EZF to Baltimore. I know WAA won’t have high ratios but I don’t see why they would be that low either. So that looks like a general 4-5” thump followed by dry slot then 2-4” with the upper low. Even if we toss the back end stuff that’s still by far the biggest snow for the area in a long time and I don’t see why we toss the upper low when something like that is showing on all guidance. Besides speculation that the run will be worse then it really is could happen with ANYTHING...it’s still kinda lol to see people calling a warning level snowfall a “disaster”. 

• Like 3

The comma head looks great, but what's with the lack of significant precipitation? Low position also looks farther off the coast than we would like, at least to my untrained eye.

I just watched Bernie Rayno's periscope. It was pretty good. He urged caution. Said it looks good for someone to get over a foot, but liked PA and NY and west of 95 for that. He said he is concerned how far south the energy dives and that the upper low has to cut off to get the storm up the coast. Also said there are lots of pieces of energy flying around, complicating things.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I dunno what the TT depth uses but about .4-.55 qpf falls before there is mixing across the general area low to high from EZF to Baltimore. I know WAA won’t have high ratios but I don’t see why they would be that low either. So that looks like a general 4-5” thump followed by dry slot then 2-4” with the upper low. Even if we toss the back end stuff that’s still by far the biggest snow for the area in a long time and I don’t see why we toss the upper low when something like that is showing on all guidance. Besides speculation that the run will be worse then it really is could happen with ANYTHING...it’s still kinda lol to see people calling a warning level snowfall a “disaster”. 

I still have nightmares about the Valentines Day 2014 storm. Got like 10-12 or so with the WAA and then got hit with drizzle and a dry slot. Snow melted a ton to just a few inches before backside came through with some heavy sleet and then some snow to end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

The comma head looks great, but what's with the lack of significant precipitation? Low position also looks farther off the coast than we would like, at least to my untrained eye.

I just watched Bernie Rayno's periscope. It was pretty good. He urged caution. Said it looks good for someone to get over a foot, but liked PA and NY and west of 95 for that. He said he is concerned how far south the energy dives and that the upper low has to cut off to get the storm up the coast. Also said there are lots of pieces of energy flying around, complicating things.

An ENS Mean of over 1" QPF all snow is not significant enough?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaydreb said:

I know you’ve been waiting a long time for a decent storm.  I hope you (we) finally get it.  

I really have. I gave up hope I'd see one a while back lol, every winter has been blah after blah. I have yet to have a double digit snowfall.

There was one storm (a couple years ago?) that was pretty decent? But nothing crazy. 

3 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Lack?  There's an inch on the mean.  Thats pretty darn significant.   Ofc it'll verify as .1 out here when all is said and done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

A clean 5-10 is a nice storm. This isn't that. I've seen storms like this before and they are garbage. You end up with hardly anything on the ground when it's over. Long duration with a front end followed by warming and rain to wash the first half away.

DC is in the dryslot from 96 hours to 116 which is when temps support rain. There is virtually no precip. Temps do warm to the mid 30s but I doubt that melts all the ~5” that fell in the general DC area. Probably compressed it down to 2-3” but that would happen frankly after ANY storm ends in a storm we don’t have Arctic air behind it.  Think of it as 2 storms. A 5” snow followed by a 2-4” storm 15 hours later, yes with some melting in between. It’s probably 2-3” of frozen slush with 2-4” of powder on top (even with mediocre surface temps snow under that upper low would be high ratio fluff) in the end. That’s like the 3rd best snowstorm in DC the last 6 years!!!  And that’s the “disaster”. 

• Like 7

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic