Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2021

snowman19

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The other thing is how much warmer strong -AO patterns have become. This is only the 4th year with with a -1 AO or lower for all 3 winter months DJF. I believe Don had a great post a while back on the warming -AO patterns. This winter so far through February 10th is the warmest on the list.

NYC average temperature for a -1 or lower AO for each individual month Dec, Jan, and Feb 

Dec 1 to Feb 10 average temperature NYC

20-21....36.4°

09-10....33.7°

76.77....26.0°

69-70°...30.1°

wow almost 3 degrees warmer than the next one.  And if it weren't for February all three months would have been above normal.  The streak of below 50 highs is also interesting- how many are we up to now, Chris?

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow almost 3 degrees warmer than the next one.  And if it weren't for February all three months would have been above normal.  The streak of below 50 highs is also interesting- how many are we up to now, Chris?

NYC is at the 23rd longest streak under 50° days at 41 days.

• Thanks 1

Third run in a row with no snow here, then total boredom sets in.       No precipitation and temperatures too warm for snow anyway in Week 2.

Please NB that the CMC/EURO still hanging with 6" on this same run.         Don't forget that the GFS' Clown's Night Out Run (18Z)-----will be here by around 7pm.

1613131200-MCKZFbQdBYI.png

21 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Third run in a row with no snow here, then total boredom sets in.       No precipitation and temperatures too warm for snow anyway in Week 2.

1613131200-MCKZFbQdBYI.png

I may regret this but what kind of temperatures are we talking about in week 2?  still cold and clammy or maybe some early spring time warmth?

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Looks like the models are really backing off the cold and therefore the metro area is going to get more plain rain and the more expected climo spots will be at risk of significant icing. (could still change)

watching these models is about as bad as watching the stock market

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Perhaps, but if you look back to 2010-11-the pattern lasted about 6 weeks and that was it-I think we went snowless that March.....We need the next 10 days to deliver....

Yes. Most of that winter's snow and cold occurred between the Boxing Day snowstorm on December 26 - 27th - the end of January. March 2011 was very mild, including 65 degrees on the 17th and 76 degrees on the 18th. However,  I did have 2.3" of wet snow on March 21st and 2.5" of snow March 23-24th.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Perhaps, but if you look back to 2010-11-the pattern lasted about 6 weeks and that was it-I think we went snowless that March.....We need the next 10 days to deliver....

We were supposed to be torching right now so the fact that we have 20+ inches in Feb and will likely finish BN for temperatures is a huge feat. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The blocking and big time -AO saved us so far. 

That’s for sure. Our winters have alternated between blocking or the SE Ridge. Once we lose the blocking, the SE Ridge returns. Even when we did have the strong blocking this winter,  several of our snowstorms were more tucked in than usual. Probably related to the record SSTs off the East Coast forcing the baroclinic zone closer to the coast. So we seem to have the SSTs and MJO amping the SE Ridge. It takes some extreme type of blocking to suppress the SE Ridge enough.

• Thanks 2

Back tomorrow morning but adding one graphic that should alert everyone to potential for some heavy duty removal problems by the 20th. WPC7 day  QPF.. most of this should be ice/snow I84 corridor and i doubt any big warmup next Friday.  Too difficult to be sure of what will happen but I think I84 has a pretty good chance of 6+ by next Friday- tbd. Modeling continues the heavy snow axis similarly for the past 4+cycles, really back to the 00z/8 cycle.  The question on our southern side of the axis, how much of that is erroneously high due to sleet 10 to 1 conversion. 

Finally: today was beautiful cloudy subfreezing mid 20s day here in nw NJ with deep snowpack.  Wednesday the 17th may be the last such beaut before we return to warmer temps starting next weekend (and melting). 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 5.22.04 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2