Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

5 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

12z GEFS supports the OP for Day 7-9.  Mix of good hits and rainers.   

Rain is a legit threat in this type setup BUT so long as the trough doesn’t go negative before our longitude and the surface low gets to the coast before turning north we would be ok.  We have had plenty of nice snowstorms with this look. 
ETA: what I mean is yea if the storm cuts inland because the trough went negative too far west it would rain. And that “could” happen. But the scenario the GFS showed where everything went exactly how we want and the storm came up off the coast and it still rained...that’s nonsense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Rain is a legit threat in this type setup BUT so long as the trough doesn’t go negative before our longitude and the surface low gets to the coast before turning north we would be ok.  We have had plenty of nice snowstorms with this look. 
ETA: what I mean is yea if the storm cuts inland because the trough went negative too far west it would rain. And that “could” happen. But the scenario the GFS showed where everything went exactly how we want and the storm came up off the coast and it still rained...that’s nonsense.

Wonder the impact of the SST profile in the Atlantic. It is much warmer.  Blue wave  noted that many inland runners, coastal huggers may be due to the shift in Atlantic SST anomalies.  I mean really, everything is a hot mess these days. 

Last observation for now...the Uber long range look with a western trough but a west based -NAO and 50/50 is one where we can get front end thumps to dry slot type storms. The mean track will try to be to our west but that’s a pretty good CAD setup and not just weak insitu type that would lead to the type where it’s really hard to dislodge and we can do some frozen with a track pretty far NW track. 

Before that I see 2 discreet threat windows. The one around the 19 and another a few days later. The TPV gets further displaced and slides into SE Canada or even into the 50/50. That’s a more canonical (recently) big snowstorm look.  The look is much better on the GFS guidance then the euro so hopefully it scores the coup here. The euro isn’t awful and a slight adjustment away but it sets up the trough too far west for the 19th and then goes too heavy with the trough out west after that. It’s a balancing act like a see saw. With a -NAO we can overcome a -pna to a point but if the western trough goes totally ape it becomes harder.  Luckily the euro still has a bias I believe of doing that, I’ve noticed it still seems that way recently anecdotally. So for now Im cautiously optimistic in a more gfs like progression.  

21 minutes ago, Ji said:

i said i will be back when there is a threat.......we still seem to not be able to get any model to show blue over us. That is very  discouraging. Im out

As you say...replace the H’s with the L’s and we are in great shape.

160F8A40-1823-48E7-94E3-5E0811D521EE.png

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Euro is all NS vorts.  

There is a lot wrong with that euro op run. It shunts the majority of the next heat flux from the WAR off to the east and does not develop a true Greenland block. The NAO is weakly negative but it’s muted compared to other guidance (and the previous EPS runs frankly). The pna ridge is also shallow. The result of those two factors is the trough in the east has less amplitude (less depth) and so nothing digs enough to tap gulf moisture or amplify. This the all NS result you observe. Let’s see if the EPS agrees. The EPS hasn’t looked as good as the GEFS but it wasn’t that steaming pile of garbage either. 

25 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

DR. No has spoken...WB 12Z GFS, Can, and EURO for the 19th storm or lack of one....

71458B58-F10A-4AD3-966B-201F6302F44D.png

029ED79D-E5D0-4FC1-BF66-D3AA633B9E56.png

h

when the euro is the only model that dosent show snow..it dosent snow. When its the only model to show snow, it dosent snow

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic