Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 8th-9th threat

BullCityWx

2 hours ago, ILMRoss said:

Fun fact- The elephant in the room is that BL temps are pretty terrible for this event - the main difference with the RGEM is that it's totally colder; not really much else going on. 

That's true. But at h5 of gfs lost alot of steam. Lot less organization over all h5 generally. 

Even if the Rgem looks  raggedy.  

24-36 hours ago gfs soundings where moist and cold all the way up to h3-h4 with questionable bl temps.

A southern stronger track would be more favorable 

3 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I’m not sure I like being in the (outside the mountains) crosshairs for the latest GFS and Euro three days out.  Usually means DC ends up with a whopper of a snowstorm.

Right.

Especially since this is a Miller AB hybrid. 

Places such as AL, Ga, essentially anything up stream is striking out.

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

SREF plumes are in and increased slightly from earlier for Asheville and Hickory 

HKY has been an interesting one to watch today, since it’s the closest airport to my location in Burke.

If memory serves me right, it was barely over two this morning with more members under the mean that a above it - then it went a little over 3 this afternoon with about a 50/50 split and now 4+ and more members at or above 4. Exciting trends for sure! I wonder if the HKY area could be the sweet spot for being close enough to the upper low for best dynamics but just far enough from the warm air advection to stay snow....

• Like 1

NC native (SE Rowan County) currently live in the Roberta Mill area of Cabarrus County.( 1 mile S of 85 as the crow flies). Keep in mind many of these maps show sharp cut off over Mecklenburg County and the CLT metro as a whole. S.Meck is heavily populated (over 650,000 people S of uptown)  Plus York Co (Rock Hill) has almost 300,000 people.)

That to say, any shift of the snow south, even 10 miles, will make a huge difference where snow trucks, brime, sand, etc are allocated. BUT, as most of you know this is how Winter weather works in the Carolinas.

The major change in the last 24-30 hours has been the digging of the southern branch and how close to the Gulf Coast the surface low gets before moving northeastward towards the NC coastline.  Also, this allows the northern branch 50/50 low over eastern Labrador, Canada to move out more before the system phases with arctic energy leftover.  Again, a big nor'easter potential, if it were to happen, needs the arctic vorticity max to round the 50/50 H5 low circulation and further southwest than modeled, or it moves out just a bit quicker and allows the system up the coast while providing a cold air mass.

• Thanks 1

• jburns unpinned this topic