• Member Statistics

    16,544
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Malcolm M
    Newest Member
    Malcolm M
    Joined
Chicago Storm

Winter 2020/2021 Short Range Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, McHenrySnow said:

That wind is really blowing this evening, we've got blowing snow, and temp is now up to 29ª after 5º this morning and a slow and steady climb throughout the day.

Lots of drivers in ditches locally. I think there was a lot of complacency as no snow was falling, but the roads were very slick with blowing and drifting 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

Lots of drivers in ditches locally. I think there was a lot of complacency as no snow was falling, but the roads were very slick with blowing and drifting 

And most are completely out of practice to boot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my son to soccer practice this evening. Lots of blowing and drifting on Rt.14 outside of Crystal Lake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our event page for the snow squall:
https://www.weather.gov/lot/2021jan19

Includes a short presentation put together by one of our forecasters that I tweaked for public consumption.

Really fascinating event. Looking back, it's clear that at a busier time of day we would've needed to issue our first SQW, and there was some consideration put toward it as the event unfolded.

The last snow squall event of this magnitude I can recall, brief whiteouts and roads going to trash, was late January 2014 with an Arctic front. And multiple instances of thundersnow associated with a Clipper type system is rare, if I'm not missing any events, I think have to go back to December 2010 for that in the LOT CWA. Disappointed I missed out on personally experiencing impacts where I live, but glad others got to experience this unique event, and was cool to look back on again while putting together the event page.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you missed it, the PDF in Ricky’s link mentions an airline official at ORD reported 1” of accum in 10 minutes. 6”/hr rates are extraordinarily rare around here and are usually observed in areas with forced orographic lift or in Nor’easters where you have moisture transport off the Gulf Stream and strong frontogenesis. 
 

In this case it was more the forced ascent caused by that compact vort in an atmosphere w/ steep low-level lapse rates centered in the DGZ. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

As of midnight MSP was reporting 5.3” we should finish around 6” which is on the higher end of guidance. 

You guys are rockin this winter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

As of midnight MSP was reporting 5.3” we should finish around 6” which is on the higher end of guidance. 

And it seems like so much work and attention for the Mon.-Tue system may yield similar results across LOT. You quietly keep racking up the totals.DAB here overnight

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mimillman said:

T here, returns must’ve fallen apart or it was Virga

It was mostly virga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cary67 said:

And it seems like so much work and attention for the Mon.-Tue system may yield similar results across LOT. You quietly keep racking up the totals.DAB here overnight

It’s MSP, snow capital of the world, until beavis moves there 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.25" here this morning, all falling from around 8 to 9 am. Wasn't expecting a big total, by any means, but the models had been ticking up all day yesterday. Dry air won out. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

0.25" here this morning, all falling from around 8 to 9 am. Wasn't expecting a big total, by any means, but the models had been ticking up all day yesterday. Dry air won out. 

Yeah, sucks. At one point it looked like a 2-3” snowfall.

Maybe a silver lining is that this precursor wave helped moisten the column for the upcoming storm. Devil’s advocate says that the models should already be accounting for this, yet they are still trending weaker. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another burst of snow very early this morning boosted my wave 1 total to 2.6".  That is a nice total considering it had been crapping out on the models and even once it began the radar looked like a total dud.  Fortunately, the tail juiced up and passed over east-central IA.  My area ended up being the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Heavy snow here along 696. Fair amount of accidents today. Good rippage rn...probably will be better than Monday night :ee:

 I posted in the January thread, lol I forgot this is the place to post that stuff now haha. We had 0.6" here. DTW 0.5". Snow came down heavy for a time in that narrow band. It hugged Detroits immediate northern suburbs. It seemed like for much of Southeast Michigan it was a general half inch snowfall give or take a few tenths but in that band including Detroit, Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak etc it appears 2-3" fell. Definitely more than forecast. I am assuming with the main event tomorrow night it will be similar in that bans may develop but good luck pinning down where ahead of time. how much did you end up with today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

 I posted in the January thread, lol I forgot this is the place to post that stuff now haha. We had 0.6" here. DTW 0.5". Snow came down heavy for a time in that narrow band. It hugged Detroits immediate northern suburbs. It seemed like for much of Southeast Michigan it was a general half inch snowfall give or take a few tenths but in that band including Detroit, Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak etc it appears 2-3" fell. Definitely more than forecast. I am assuming with the main event tomorrow night it will be similar in that bans may develop but good luck pinning down where ahead of time. how much did you end up with today?

Picked up 2.8” of snow on the snow board. Nice overachiever today. There were even a few 3-4” reports where banding was the most persistent today. The snow was very fluffy, a rare sight this season. That band the hung on to the 96/696 corridor was ripping for a while. I’m now up to 8.1” this month and 18.9” this season. Feels like we’re cheating our way to a normal January. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Picked up 2.8” of snow on the snow board. Nice overachiever today. There were even a few 3-4” reports where banding was the most persistent today. The snow was very fluffy, a rare sight this season. That band the hung on to the 96/696 corridor was ripping for a while. I’m now up to 8.1” this month and 18.9” this season. Feels like we’re cheating our way to a normal January. 

 

 I'm at 17.2" on the season but only 3.4" in January!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

 I'm at 17.2" on the season but only 3.4" in January!

This wave certainly helped bump up the January total here haha, and there were a couple other days were we did a little better than you and DTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.