Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,987
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Dankles
    Newest Member
    Dankles
    Joined

January Banter 2021


Eskimo Joe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, MDstorm said:

Wow..... The Chiefs are a football team that actually knows what it takes to win.

Yes. Blocking, tackling, special teams, few turnovers.

There’s never been a “great call” without execution and there are few plays, offense or defense that do work that later get called a “bad call”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took my son back to college in NE Ohio this weekend. At least got to see, walk, and drive in snow showers for two days. Pretty snow covered fields and trees up on the PA turnpike from the Laurel Highlands over to that tunnel 25 miles west of breezewood. Was nice to just confirm that snow can still happen somewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yes. Blocking, tackling, special teams, few turnovers.

There’s never been a “great call” without execution and there are few plays, offense or defense that do work that later get called a “bad call”.

Of course it’s both. So happy for Andy.  But my current GM has now fired two of the best coaches I’ve ever seen. And he hired Chip Kelly and tried to hire Adam Gase. I’m not confident in our future...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Of course it’s both. So happy for Andy.  But my current GM has now fired two of the best coaches I’ve ever seen. And he hired Chip Kelly and tried to hire Adam Gase. I’m not confident in our future...

I was wondering what you thought of the Pedersen firing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I was wondering what you thought of the Pedersen firing.

It’s never as simple as they make it seem on sports talk. Let me preface that I love our owner overall. He’s done way more good then bad over the years. And before I make him seem like the worst GM ever Howie Roseman did build the super bowl team. So he deserves props for that. But right now the owner is way to close to the GM.  Andy had one truly bad season in 14 years and they fired him. Doug had one bad season in 5. Both seem rather impatient decisions Imo. And I consider the current issues way more personnel then coaching. They got old and injured and on top of that their last few drafts were busts and the QB lost his mind. And it’s all mental with Wentz. I dunno if it’s the head injury from last year but he totally lost his timing and feel this year.  This play illustrates it best but this wasn’t an isolated thing.

 I dunno how the coach can fix that.  He did that several times every game like his brain was in slow motion. 
 

Lastly given covid I would have just given this year a mulligan. But the GM was meddling in things that should be coaching decisions like assistant staffing decisions and playing time decisions and that situation finally boiled over. But imo Doug was a good coach. I liked his aggressiveness and play calling. I liked how hard the players played for him. Their failures seemed to be a lack of talent when it mattered not coaching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s never as simple as they make it seem on sports talk. Let me preface that I love our owner overall. He’s done way more good then bad over the years. And before I make him seem like the worst GM ever Howie Roseman did build the super bowl team. So he deserves props for that. But right now the owner is way to close to the GM.  Andy had one truly bad season in 14 years and they fired him. Doug had one bad season in 5. Both seem rather impatient decisions Imo. And I consider the current issues way more personnel then coaching. They got old and injured and on top of that their last few drafts were busts and the QB lost his mind. And it’s all mental with Wentz. I dunno if it’s the head injury from last year but he totally lost his timing and feel this year.  This play illustrates it best but this wasn’t an isolated thing.

 I dunno how the coach can fix that.  He did that several times every game like his brain was in slow motion. 
 

Lastly given covid I would have just given this year a mulligan. But the GM was meddling in things that should be coaching decisions like assistant staffing decisions and playing time decisions and that situation finally boiled over. But imo Doug was a good coach. I liked his aggressiveness and play calling. I liked how hard the players played for him. Their failures seemed to be a lack of talent when it mattered not coaching. 

Tanking that last game did him no favors whatsoever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Tanking that last game did him no favors whatsoever. 

That was hard to watch and I hated every bit of that but I honestly don’t think it had anything to do with the decision. If it did they would have fired him immediately. Plus the GM knew about that plan going in so....they weren’t hiding it. They said during the week they intended to rest several starters and get the 3rd string QB some playing time. They said they were treating it like a preseason game. So then after suddenly it’s a problem?   If it was that’s as much the GMs fault. In the end the coach and GM had a toxic relationship and the owner went with the wrong guy imo. The fact they are very close didn’t help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Of course it’s both. So happy for Andy.  But my current GM has now fired two of the best coaches I’ve ever seen. And he hired Chip Kelly and tried to hire Adam Gase. I’m not confident in our future...

Plus he can’t draft a lick.  He drafted JJ Arcega-Whiteside when DK Metcalf was available. Last year every draft pundit and person in the world knew Justin Jefferson was the pick and he took Reagor. All told he’s drafted like 1 pro bowler in 8 years or so.  Howie has to go 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Prestige Worldwide said:

Plus he can’t draft a lick.  He drafted JJ Arcega-Whiteside when DK Metcalf was available. Last year every draft pundit and person in the world knew Justin Jefferson was the pick and he took Reagor. All told he’s drafted like 1 pro bowler in 8 years or so.  Howie has to go 

Agree but not my decision 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was hard to watch and I hated every bit of that but I honestly don’t think it had anything to do with the decision. If it did they would have fired him immediately. Plus the GM knew about that plan going in so....they weren’t hiding it. They said during the week they intended to rest several starters and get the 3rd string QB some playing time. They said they were treating it like a preseason game. So then after suddenly it’s a problem?   If it was that’s as much the GMs fault. In the end the coach and GM had a toxic relationship and the owner went with the wrong guy imo. The fact they are very close didn’t help. 

I think you can’t under estimate the power of a fan base. There were plenty of voices that were pretty loud in their disdain for that, national voices. That brings it to the front and then I’d bet there were hordes of Eagle fans that made their displeasure known. When an organization has a whole nation and then their own fan base disgusted and embarrassed there’s added pressure to make a move. The easiest move an organization can make is to change the coach.

Pederson and anybody else in the organization can try to justify what they did but for many, including me, it was wrong on a bunch of different levels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Tanking that last game did him no favors whatsoever. 

As a Dolphins fan, I will always have a bit of soft spot in my heart for Doug.  He was QB at the end of the game in 1993 that Don Shula got the record for most wins as a coach. (the year that Marino was hurt.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think you can’t under estimate the power of a fan base. There were plenty of voices that were pretty loud in their disdain for that, national voices. That brings it to the front and then I’d bet there were hordes of Eagle fans that made their displeasure known. When an organization has a whole nation and then their own fan base disgusted and embarrassed there’s added pressure to make a move. The easiest move an organization can make is to change the coach.

Pederson and anybody else in the organization can try to justify what they did but for many, including me, it was wrong on a bunch of different levels.

The VAST majority of Eagles fans wanted the GM gone. Some wanted both GM and coach gone. Almost no one wanted the coach gone and GM back. Way more agree with me that the GM is the main problem.  Also...when it comes to coaching decisions Eagles fans imo aren’t the best to base your decisions on. They would fire every coach after every loss. Eagles fans are as logical wrt coaching expectations as Ji with snow. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The VAST majority of Eagles fans wanted the GM gone. Some wanted both GM and coach gone. Almost no one wanted the coach gone and GM back. Way more agree with me that the GM is the main problem.  Also...when it comes to coaching decisions Eagles fans imo aren’t the best to base your decisions on. They would fire every coach after every loss. Eagles fans are as logical wrt coaching expectations as Ji with snow. 

Yeah I’m not familiar at all with the Eagles. I’m sure you are. I’m just saying it isn’t surprising that they went after him. Coach firings are the easiest way to look like you are “doing something”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was hard to watch and I hated every bit of that but I honestly don’t think it had anything to do with the decision. If it did they would have fired him immediately. Plus the GM knew about that plan going in so....they weren’t hiding it. They said during the week they intended to rest several starters and get the 3rd string QB some playing time. They said they were treating it like a preseason game. So then after suddenly it’s a problem?   If it was that’s as much the GMs fault. In the end the coach and GM had a toxic relationship and the owner went with the wrong guy imo. The fact they are very close didn’t help. 

As A WFT fan I really appreciated Pederson pulling Hurts for  Nate Sudfield.

:lol::weenie:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s never as simple as they make it seem on sports talk. Let me preface that I love our owner overall. He’s done way more good then bad over the years. And before I make him seem like the worst GM ever Howie Roseman did build the super bowl team. So he deserves props for that. But right now the owner is way to close to the GM.  Andy had one truly bad season in 14 years and they fired him. Doug had one bad season in 5. Both seem rather impatient decisions Imo. And I consider the current issues way more personnel then coaching. They got old and injured and on top of that their last few drafts were busts and the QB lost his mind. And it’s all mental with Wentz. I dunno if it’s the head injury from last year but he totally lost his timing and feel this year.  This play illustrates it best but this wasn’t an isolated thing.

 I dunno how the coach can fix that.  He did that several times every game like his brain was in slow motion. 
 

Lastly given covid I would have just given this year a mulligan. But the GM was meddling in things that should be coaching decisions like assistant staffing decisions and playing time decisions and that situation finally boiled over. But imo Doug was a good coach. I liked his aggressiveness and play calling. I liked how hard the players played for him. Their failures seemed to be a lack of talent when it mattered not coaching. 

You know it's bad when you make Dallas' trash defense look good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

As a Dolphins fan, I will always have a bit of soft spot in my heart for Doug.  He was QB at the end of the game in 1993 that Don Shula got the record for most wins as a coach. (the year that Marino was hurt.)

I was at that game.  1993.  He beat the Eagles at the Vet.  If I recall we had like a 1 point lead and then the dolphins got a late FG to win. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...