Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

6 minutes ago, wizard021 said:

Euro weakens enough confluence via height rises, and that is due to the Monday wave trailing slower, a euro bias in the sw.

I am really not committed to any solution at this point.  Models still suck 6 days out and this run was a pretty big change from the last few.

One of the biggest differences I see from the 12z to the 00z of the ECMWF is the low level warm intrusion from the low tucked closer to the coast in tandem with a stronger surface ridge to the north. 925mb wind field is out of the east for several hrs at 50+kts extending inland to the 81 corridor. This is a dominant warm nose causing the increase in temps at the surface and within the lower confines of the boundary layer. Anytime you get an anomalous u-vector wind without a strong antecedent airmass in place, it would cause issues with p-type extending very far inland. It's a key difference between the two runs and say something compared to the GEM. 

The UL progression screams big storm at minimum as 5H evolution shows a negatively tilted trough cutting through Tennessee and immediate height falls downstream, along with large region of diffluence ahead of the s/w trough. A slightly stronger area of confluence would help considerably for a more widespread snowfall for the sub-forum, but any type of evolving system will have its boundary aligned SW/NE in a developing storm like this. This is why I relayed that as a bet, I would think the fall line will once again be the point of interest with some degree of movement to the west, pending both the amplitude of the trough and confluent area as storm approaches. Right now, I think the elevated areas west of 95 would be the target chance with Rt15 on west probably in the best spot right now. Won't take much though to get everyone potentially in the game. As things go, I'm happy to see the vigor of the s/w trough still being modeled, which is the ingredient to watch if we want any storm at all.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just looking over the 0z runs. Overall good stuff for the mid week potential. For I-95/east the CMC op has pretty much an ideal outcome for a mid December storm. Good track, doesn't amp too much/go negative, and the confluence is not displaced so the surface high ends up in a pretty ideal spot. Still a long way to go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

Looks like we either get cold rain or slammed 10 percent chance.C5DF4F11-8869-43C2-9D29-896742B8CD61.thumb.png.3dffa2faad05d2d04eab179ffe286860.png

Damn it’s really trying hard to snow SW VA and mountains of WV Monday. Can only hope we get something. My fear is Wednesday system blossoms too late and we primarily miss out this way right now. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic