Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If we had that pattern the entire winter we probably would end up happy when it was all over.

12z ops continue to show enough subtle changes that I was seeing yesterday wrt mid term to inspire some confidence in a legit window being opened mid/late next week.  Thats as far as I'm looking for now (wrt Op/ens guidance).  I dare say i'm liking what i see (keeping all disclaimers of climo/base state etc in mind.)

Looks normalish and in this bass ackwards year of 2020, I'm all about normal. 

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

CMC just has some weak ass GL low otherwise it’s a big snow to rain event. 

Pretty interesting 12z suite so far

Trend has been more -NAO which keeps us in the game wrt storm track.  We will be fighting the lack of cold due to the less than ideal pacific though.  If we could keep this pattern into January/February (of course no way to know if we do) I feel like something would work out sooner or later.  So long as we don't start seeing signs of the NAO going super positive like last year I feel like we have a better shot this year of avoiding a dumpster fire.  Everyday that I don't see a wall to wall blue ball up top across the whole EPO/AO/NAO domain I take as a positive.  Keeping in mind my bar for this year is pretty low.  

ETA:  Last year I never even bothered to get my snowblower out of the shed and prep it for the winter.  I was pretty sure I wasn't going to need it.  This year I moved it into the garage and tuned it up.  Not saying I expect to be using it a lot...but I have a feeling it might be needed at least once.  At least more of a chance than last year.  Or maybe I am just telling myself that because the thought of leaving it collecting dust in the shed 2 yeas in a row is too painful to face.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LP08 said:

7 days to will it south and colder and slower and snowier and stronger....:wub:

EURO Dec 15th.png

We dont really need to adjust the track so much as the temperature profile.  The upper level features track perfect for us.  The reason the surface ends up so far north and vertically stacked like that relatively early in its progression is the lack of any cold air.  The surface low will try to seek out the baroclinic zone.  Lacking one it will end up further north than it would in a colder baroclinic profile.  Trust me...adjust the thermals and that surface low would be tracking perfect for us given the rest of the variables on that run.  Is the adjustment we would need to the thermals possible at that range...yes.  Very.  It's well within a normal error.  But of course it could just as easily adjust warmer.  The bigger issue would be does the progression of the longwave pattern even look close to that by 162 hours?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Its a slight adjustment from a very good pattern actually.  If there is just a bit more NAO ridging...the resulting effects would lead to a good look.

adjust.png.feaa150da1f455839c554ffdd0a642b2.png

Very interesting it’s sort of heading back to a nino like look again with Aleutian low and west coast ridging. Have to watch and see if that continues. Either way, it’s good we don’t get a black hole over AK it seems.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic